Gransnet forums

Chat

Intellectual Stimulation

(106 Posts)
hillwalker70 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:49:12

Where do other GN’s get their Intellectual Stimulation from please. Those of us who live alone do not have the benefit of conversation with another, I loathe TV, find it banal and infantilised and even find myself shouting at Radio 4 these days. Newspapers are expensive and full of supplements I am not interested in. I am interested in environmental matters, the countryside, music and books, not remotely interested in clothes or food. Any ideas on good publications or other ideas to keep me motivated and stimulated so I can make intelligent conversation in company. Many thanks.

MeltingMacaron Fri 20-Jul-18 11:39:46

Another vote for WEA and Future Learn for stimulating subject matter.

My favourite podcast series is Philosopy Bites (and its offshoots) which has been going for some years now (also available via itunes) www.philosophybites.com/

I found this site bringing together enviromental podcasts from around the world. player.fm/featured/environment

If you search there, top right, it'll take you to grouped podcasts about music and books too.

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Jul-18 12:03:32

Is there a local country women or towns women association nearby? I joined one recently, and there are interesting speakers each month and various outings are arranged for anyone wanting to go.

I can highly recommend futurelearn, too.

pollyperkins Fri 20-Jul-18 18:05:58

As for publications, have you tried the Oldie? Only monthly I think but always a good read.
I second the idea of a book group and also U3A. There are usually many and varied groups to choose from and there is only a small annual fee (£15 here) for as many groups as you like. Organised locally so don't know what's available near you.

Fennel Fri 20-Jul-18 19:02:23

Yes the Oldie is interesting, also Private Eye.

Jalima1108 Fri 20-Jul-18 19:55:02

I would suggest the U3A too; there may also be Book Clubs, poetry groups or history groups local to you - or whatever interests you.

If there is a NWR group in your area, they meet and one member may be given a subject to research which they present at the next meeting and then everyone can discuss, giving their own points of view.

Jalima1108 Fri 20-Jul-18 19:55:16

sorry - they meet monthly

trisher Fri 20-Jul-18 20:04:52

If you are interested in history you can suscribe to British Newspapers on-line and look up interesting events.It is a bit addictive however and I had to stop my subscription I never had time for any thing else!!! You might also like to get involved with Zooniverse. It's a volunteering site where you can help with all sorts of research everything from WW1 diaries to climate change www.zooniverse.org

loopyloo Fri 20-Jul-18 20:44:13

Skywalker. Do you just have basic tv? You might find more interesting programmes if you have virgin or sky tv. Or one of those Fire sticks that you plug in.
I must admit some of the best conversations I've had recently have been at our gransnet Meetup.

Fidget20 Fri 20-Jul-18 23:22:49

hillwalker70 Radio 4 is my choice of company in the mornings and I often shout at John Humphries on the way to work.
I am married but quite often my husband and I will sit in companionable silence while we surf the net.
Intellectual stimulation can be found in many forms and the comedy on Radio 4 is worth a listen, if you don't already.
Local meet up groups are worth looking at as well.

Jaycee5 Sat 21-Jul-18 07:53:17

Not all TV is infantile and YouTube has a mixture of really interesting videos and pretty awful ones. Unfortunately the lack of quality control means that there are far more of the latter but there are still some good ones. News channels from around the world.
It is hard to find forums that are both interesting and stay that way.
Facebook still has some good sites. I am on quite a number of political sites and as an antidote to them, Atlas Obscura.
You could start by deciding what topics you are interested in and just Google it and see where it takes you.
Your local library, if you still have one, should have a file of local associations and there will probably be a book club.
I live alone and tend to use just the internet and TV nowadays as my health makes me unreliable and If often don't get there if I join anything.
I support a couple of charities, like lendwithcare.org which has annual meetings although I wasn't well enough to go to the last one. I also went to a meeting that the Fairtrade had which was interesting although I actually left with a more negative view of them as they spent a lot of time discussing how to fight organisations doing similar things and I don't want to support a monopoly even if it is one doing something good. Be prepared to sign up for newsletters of organisations like that you are interested in and you might slowly get more involved. The meetings are usually free if you have signed up for them for a while.

RillaofIngleside Sat 21-Jul-18 07:58:08

The Wonens Institute have a residential college near Bicester which does residential 1 to 3 day courses on a very wide range of subjects. I went to a cookery course there recently and it was excellent. You don’t have to be a member to attend courses. Subjects include music, literature, various crafts, days out to stately homes and lots of others. Just look up Denman College. People are very friendly there.
I also worried about intellectual stimulation when I retired at Christmas. I have become a director of a charity and school governor which also opens up a wide range of interesting learning situations. Good luck whatever you choose.

lolarabbit Sat 21-Jul-18 08:15:44

If you are able / willing to pay a monthly subscription, then you might want to consider the Readly app which gives you access to thousands of publications from highbrow to lowbrow (you can read online or download). I felt £7/mth wasn't really much when you consider the cost of most magazines and you can have up to four profiles on your account, so can share with your nearest and dearest. Obviously no good for daily news but The Week, which others have mentioned, is on there. I am fairly sure I started off with a one month trial for £1 and you might find a similar offer if you Google it, to enable you to try it out.

moxeyns Sat 21-Jul-18 08:18:19

Coursera is another good learning platform. They try and get you to pay to get a certificate on completion, but if you avoid that, it's free.
Thanks for the question - I've salted away some of the suggestions too smile

loopyloo Sat 21-Jul-18 08:21:46

And how about joining a dating agency. You might not find the love of your life but you might have some interesting meals out with some conversation and a male perspective.

NanaPlenty Sat 21-Jul-18 08:48:40

A community choir is lovely and so uplifting plus there's company if you want it. Also look at local volunteering opportunities - there are so many there's bound to be something that suits.

hillwalker70 Sat 21-Jul-18 08:50:15

Gosh, so much wonderful information. I am a member of WI but not in my village and we do have good speakers, but only now and again as we are small and speakers expensive. I have a basic TV with a stick thing, anything else would be out of my budget, I do like the sound of podcasts, Ted talks and Future Learn, most U3A here are afternoon mtgs when I do school pickups, you have all been so informative, Apologies to whoever suggested a dating thing, this would be the worst poss. scenario for me, there is no place in my life for any male at all.

Maccyt1955 Sat 21-Jul-18 08:52:57

Just a thought.... but why is there a touch of snobbery about being interested in clothes and make-up, as if this could not possibly co-exist alongside more intellectual interests.

I love clothes...have always been interested in clothes rather than fashion, but also love reading and studying. I have just gained an MSc at the age of 62.

Juliet27 Sat 21-Jul-18 08:59:39

Thanks hillwalker70 for starting this thread as it’s given me several ideas too. Thanks too maggiemaybe for the Ted link...I’ve just listened to a fascinating talk on the microbes in our guts.

hillwalker70 Sat 21-Jul-18 09:00:19

It is not snobbery on my part, just not interested. Have tried make up but hate the feel and cannot get lipstick off quickly enough. As for clothes, mine are all charity shop and practical. I do not attend weddings or any posh do’s, genuinely do not care what I look like and do not judge others by appearance, but that’s just me.

AllTheLs Sat 21-Jul-18 09:17:10

You haven't mentioned whether money is an issue. If not, could I recommend Oxford University's Department of Continuing Education www.conted.ox.ac.uk/ Click on short and online courses on the main page. There is a good range of online courses at varying costs (most are £270 for a 10 week course - the writing courses are £390). I've recently taken Animal Behaviour - if the others are as good they would be right up your street for intellectual stimulation.

grandMattie Sat 21-Jul-18 09:52:37

If you can afford them, the OU does fantastic courses - either just one unit, or you can go for a degree. My uncle took a degree in Maths aged 74 at the OU!!

GrandmaMoira Sat 21-Jul-18 10:08:37

The Open University does not have to cost anything if it is your first degree as you can get a student loan. That is how I am studying.

CardiffJaguar Sat 21-Jul-18 10:10:54

One monthly magazine I recommend is CHOICE and it is not expensive if you get it on subscription. There is a very good range of interesting articles as well as many that are helpful. Perhaps you could buy one copy (most large newsagents stock it) just to see what it is and IMHO just how good it is. I've had it on subscription for 28 years and always look forward to receiving it.

Lyndie Sat 21-Jul-18 10:11:04

Listen LBC. You might have the courage to phone in.

BRedhead59 Sat 21-Jul-18 10:14:28

Agree -TED talks
OU Future Learn - huge variety
Twitter
Politics show midday most days
Radio 4 - Womens hour - is usually stimulating and they certainly cover a wide range.
Travel/visits - even short distances in the local area - you can learn a lot