Gransnet forums

Chat

Intellectual Stimulation

(106 Posts)
hillwalker70 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:49:12

Where do other GN’s get their Intellectual Stimulation from please. Those of us who live alone do not have the benefit of conversation with another, I loathe TV, find it banal and infantilised and even find myself shouting at Radio 4 these days. Newspapers are expensive and full of supplements I am not interested in. I am interested in environmental matters, the countryside, music and books, not remotely interested in clothes or food. Any ideas on good publications or other ideas to keep me motivated and stimulated so I can make intelligent conversation in company. Many thanks.

PECS Wed 13-Feb-19 13:49:58

Lazigirl living one's life should never be a competition. We are all different and have different ways of relaxing/ enjoying. What I enjoy and what others enjoy are going to be different and that's fine! What is wrong is if one person deliberately tries o make another feel bad about their legitimate choices!

Day6 Wed 13-Feb-19 15:01:33

I think I might be Blue Sapphire's long lost twin!

I too had a career which was hectic. I'd be up early and hit the ground running once I got to the workplace. It was very stressful and tiring and full-on, every day.

For me, retirement was about switching off! I relish days when I have absolutely nothing to do. For me, that's bliss!

I do like to keep my brain busy - and that's at the expense of movement really, as most of my hobbies involve sitting down. I read books, peruse the papers online and like items from holiday spots, to women's issues, to politics, to home decor.

I do crossword puzzles, sudoku, jigsaws and I like cooking and trying out new recipes. I listen to TED talks and the radio and I am not sure if University Challenge, Only Connect, Eggheads and the Chase count as stimulation but I love TV quiz shows too. grin

The man tends to commandeer the garden but when we had separate houses I enjoyed planting and trimming and weeding and mowing and it kept me fit. It's his domain now, (which is fair enough as it's his only hobby really and he is out there most days whatever the weather) as the decor of the house is mine.

I intend to join a book group. I notice our U3A groups have current affairs discussions, poetry reading, and walking groups so I may join those, although in truth I am not a joiner of things. On reflection, I think I'd rather walk alone too - or with OH.

I have lots of intellectual stimulation I think. What I really need is physical activity. I am in a very comfortable place in retirement. Not being pulled in so many directions is absolutely wonderful and I am enjoying pleasing myself. I am a home bird, I suppose. I don't need people either, I am happy on my own, although I have a lovely social circle of friends. I am never bored. Really, I should go for a walk today, even if it is only round the block.

Gonegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 16:02:33

Books, books, books. Live, eat, breathe and sleep the things. Great for seeing off any mild depression too.

Gonegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 16:06:26

Quoting Day6 " Really, I should go for a walk today, even if it is only round the block " I've been saying that since this time last week. ?

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:08:44

Round the block is my favourite walk. Love books. Guilty pleasure..Neighbours. I've always watched it.