Gransnet forums

Chat

Hats!

(100 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 27-Jul-18 23:10:30

Do you wear them, either in cold weather, or the kind we've had lately?
I'm asking because I think my scalp is sunburned, so I feel I am going to have to wear one, and I always feel a bit silly.

Nanna58 Sun 29-Jul-18 10:39:50

Posted this before so will be brief- me+ hat = Benny from Crossroads. Would LOVE to have a ‘hat face’ - sigh!

GabriellaG Sun 29-Jul-18 10:37:18

Uber feminine hats look silly on me/ I look silly in them but then, I'm not one for frills or twee bits and bobs.
I do have a navy fedora with a very small feather in the band and a similar style in straw/raffia. Also a large straw sunhat with black bobbled brim from Primark and a Russian type white fur hat for winter, which all suit me.

TillyWhiz Sun 29-Jul-18 10:32:17

I suppose you could consider it's a choice between thinking you look silly wearing a hat or looking silly because you got skin cancer through not wearing one.

Kim19 Sun 29-Jul-18 10:31:06

I'm very much with Synonymous on this. There is a hat out there for everyone. It just takes time to find it and, often we just give up trying. I wear hats most of the time. Usually some sort of cap style for casual and various for dressier and always with a brim of sorts. One of my favourites is an Austrian Tyrol style which is often well admired. This heatwave has been the first time I've been without one that I can remember. I rather think that, after a gap of not wearing one, people become self-conscious. Don't know. I certainly enjoy mine.

gerry86 Sun 29-Jul-18 10:06:48

But how do you avoid 'hat hair'

Greyduster Sun 29-Jul-18 10:06:47

When I size up all the missed retail opportunities I should have seized with both hands, right up there with the best of them would be the cobalt blue fedora which I saw at a craft fair, tried on and fell in love with. It was perfect. It was expensive. Would I love it tomorrow as much as I loved it today? Would I love having spent that much money on a hat I might only wear a few times (Tilleys are justified!). So I walked away. And boy, have I lusted after it since, and never found another that looked as good on me! So! If you see THE HAT, don’t stop to think - seize the day!

lemongrove Sun 29-Jul-18 09:52:56

MissA I agree, as I have a small head too, and hats actually look better on a larger head shape.I do wear a hat in Winter when really cold, and again in Summer when really hot, and have two straw ones, which are all small and I think originally from M&S.I bought a lovely silky fur hat from there last Winter and they seem to make them just the right size for me ( and all us of a smaller head size.)

Magrithea Sun 29-Jul-18 09:48:21

I love a good hat! Can't stand baseball caps though, and don't suit them! There is a hat out there for you Missadventure you need to try different styles.

You mention a walk to your new job along the seafront so there must be lots of places selling hats of all sorts if you live by the seaside - go and have fun trying a few!

I'm very lucky when it comes to occasion hats as there's a fabulous hire shop near me run by a great lady and her daughter who are just so good at finding just the right hat to go with your outfit

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Jul-18 09:47:44

Yes, one with a massive brim, I look like an explorer but don't care.

teabagwoman Sun 29-Jul-18 09:45:04

MiniMoon I know just where you’re coming from, I have had the same problem. I have been desperately trying to remember where I got this year’s sun hat from but it just won’t come. However if you do as I did and google hats for small heads it should bring up the site. Now I’m looking forward to finding winter hats.

Maude42 Sun 29-Jul-18 09:38:34

I never wear hats my hair is so thick I have issues keeping them on .

annep Sat 28-Jul-18 23:48:28

Have just reread Quite a long trek indeed! You will get used to your hat misadventure

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 23:34:14

Oh that is very nice!
I just really can't imagine myself in it.. I can feel myself blushing a bit at the thought.
How strange!
Do I have 'hatophobia'?

grannyactivist Sat 28-Jul-18 23:20:48

I have a range of straw hats, but my current favourite is this blue and white barbour hat. It is quite floppy and shapeless, but it does the job of protecting my head really well and then when I arrive at my destination I can just squish it into my bag until I go out again.

annodomini Sat 28-Jul-18 21:24:54

One of the best sunhats I ever had was a cricket hat I filched from DS2. They have a decent brim and the white reflects the sun effectively. Mostly they have a green lining to the brim.

Greyduster Sat 28-Jul-18 21:12:40

I got my Tilley initially because I needed a hat for fishing and DH got fed up of me filching his! The broad brim protects my eyes, my ears and the back of my neck, and if I mistime a cast, the flies get caught in the hat and not in my scalp!! But to be honest, I love it and wear it at every open air opportunity. It defines me ?! But no, sadly I don’t have adventures or know Bear Grylls (only Dad Grills!!).

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 20:58:15

grin
Oh, that so much reminds me of my mum.
Its a wonder we have any self esteem at all.
She would always say "who do you think is going to look at you?"

watermeadow Sat 28-Jul-18 20:54:13

You need a sun hat in the sun and a hood or woolly hat in the cold. Stop worrying what you look like, remember my DM’s immortal words, “Noone’s going to stop their car to look at You!”

Bellasnana Sat 28-Jul-18 17:31:26

I haven’t willingly worn a hat since we were forced to wear those hideous pudding basin school hats many moons ago.

My three daughters can all wear any type of hat and still look gorgeous, and my late Nana would have considered herself undressed had she gone out of the house hatless, but I just look ridiculous.

I did have to wear a beanie in New York because I was frozen, but it was under protest and I looked like a prat.blush

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 17:09:41

I think it's a bus journey followed by a train journey followed by a 20 minute walk annep

The thing to remember when choosing a hat - then going to work - is to make sure it doesn't squash your hair!

annep Sat 28-Jul-18 16:33:10

Is 20 minutes long? Jalimayou made me laugh about "coolie". must google.....

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Jul-18 15:52:10

I’d go for a Tilley hat too, greyduster. It’s a statement hat not a style hat.

A hat for people who travel the world, have exciting adventures, know Bear Grylls. Even if you don’t.

Plus the string will keep it on along the sea front.

Telly Sat 28-Jul-18 15:43:11

Love hats, don't think I look silly and I don't really care. I have a panama hat that I bought abroad and I love it. Really helps with the sun beating down, but seriously if you are in danger of getting sunburnt then there really is no question that you need to find a hat that you like. We all have some that look better than others. I have a sixties style floppy hat which is really good but I cant find the occasion to wear it. The straw panama I can wear most places, if need be.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 14:49:18

I hope you do too, good luck.

Now - for the hat - a sunhat or a rainhat?
hmm

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 13:56:03

Yes, its further than I would have liked, and much less than I would have liked to be paid..
Its a nice place though, so I'm hoping that will make me love it.
I'm determined to.