Gransnet forums

Chat

Dumper, Dumpee or Both?

(32 Posts)
Rufus2 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:55:44

My 2 recently acquired friendly maggies appear to have "dumped" me! They seem to have deserted my breakfast table; presumably they've found better digs after complaining about my slow service. sad
It's not the first time I've been dumped (never a dumper), but I'm somewhat miffed after nurturing them through what has been a miserable Winter.
That's gratitude for you! It's enough to drive a man to drink, (if he wasn't there already.) Now I miss their warbling and our conversations.
I'm reminded of Spike Milligan; "I talk to the trees. That's why they put me away!" grin
Maybe they'll come to their senses soon.
It's not nice being dumped, but talking about it might ease the pain.
C'est la Vie

oldandbold Wed 08-Aug-18 15:42:34

Squiffy your relatives near Melbourne must have more polite Kookaburras than the ones I met near Sydney at Pittwater! They just helped themselves from the veranda breakfast table, definitely without waiting to be asked! From your plate and even from your hand on the way to your mouth! Beautiful and very cheeky!

Craftycat Wed 08-Aug-18 17:03:50

I thought all our birds have deserted us but I got up at 5am the other morning- as I was so hot - to see all our bird feeders packed. I think they are just eating early in this hot weather.

HurdyGurdy Wed 08-Aug-18 21:18:14

We, too, appear to have been dumped, by the hedgehog that used to come to our front garden for dinner every night.

We were putting dog food down, which I was told is better than the traditional bread and milk, and for a couple of weeks, the food disappeared every night.

But for the past three or four nights, the food plate hasn't been touched.

I feel quite hurt!! grin

Rufus2 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:17:19

Joy of joys! I've been "UNDUMPED"! My 2 maggie friends were back at the kitchen window this morning, warbling away at me. It was like music to my ears! I'd like to think they've returned to see me, although it's been a sod (pardon my french) of a day again, cold, wet, leaden-grey sky all day and windy. They obviously welcomed some breakfast.
Just as I was beginning to think that birds are so fickle, mysterious and hard to understand, but we're talking to each other again.
The daffs are out in full bloom "tossing their heads in sprightly dance", but if they're not careful they'll find themselves decapitated, although I guess Bill would have turned out another poem if he'd witnessed that.! grin
Now I'm feeling guilty for neglecting to lay in some nuts and coconut shavings, so they go to the top of my shopping list tomorrow.
Btw; no chicks, but time is not of the essence yet! smile Thank you for your concerns.

glammanana Mon 13-Aug-18 11:48:26

Rufus2 So pleased your pals have returned they obviously know where to get the best treats.
We have had a massive change in the weather here wind/rain/thunder/lightening so quite miserable for our bird friends.
The seagulls who congregate near the waterfront have been
flying low and some have arrived in our garden when passing over for a quick meal,they are massive and some of them are bigger than my dog !! she has taken to hiding in the kitchen when they are about they are a wee bit scary.

Rufus2 Tue 21-Aug-18 07:02:43

Rufus2 So pleased your pals have returned they obviously know where to get the best treats
Glammanana; A good news update! My recently returned Maggies are now strutting around with twigs and other construction materials in their beaks. grin
Shouldn't be too long now before they bring a family around for a sing-along.! Hope your sea-gulls are not too frightening! Ta-Ra