Gransnet forums

Chat

Dumper, Dumpee or Both?

(31 Posts)
Fennel Mon 06-Aug-18 14:12:33

Rufus - are maggies magpies? They're quite scarey birds. They used to steal our chickens' eggs.
When we were in France 2 of our french farmer neighbours had pet crows. I think they had them since fledglings, and they had a cage they slept in at night. During the day they came out and ate titbits from an outside table. Or from human hands.
One of them became very protective of its owner and when I walked up to visit with our dog would fly across and bombard us.
I think they must have released them to the wild eventually as they got older, as I never saw them after about 6 months.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 06-Aug-18 13:58:27

Don’t slate me ..... could it be the time of the ...... year? My bird table is very affected by the seasons. The truly faithful come back - unless they have fallen victim to something larger and stronger. Keep hoping and perhaps you will have to move on in your affections once you have come to terms with the loss.

Jane10 Mon 06-Aug-18 12:18:19

Phew! Birds? I was wondering about these two ladies you've been looking after all winter.
Forget birds. Any wombats? My favourite!

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 12:12:11

Do you have any friendly kookaburras, Rufus - or are you in the wrong geographical area? I have a family member in the Dandenongs and she has a whole group who feed on her windowsill. It looks magical!

NanaandGrampy Mon 06-Aug-18 11:49:24

Our busy bird full garden is currently like a ghost town Rufus , how fickle our feathered friends are and what short memories they have :-)

Rufus2 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:55:44

My 2 recently acquired friendly maggies appear to have "dumped" me! They seem to have deserted my breakfast table; presumably they've found better digs after complaining about my slow service. sad
It's not the first time I've been dumped (never a dumper), but I'm somewhat miffed after nurturing them through what has been a miserable Winter.
That's gratitude for you! It's enough to drive a man to drink, (if he wasn't there already.) Now I miss their warbling and our conversations.
I'm reminded of Spike Milligan; "I talk to the trees. That's why they put me away!" grin
Maybe they'll come to their senses soon.
It's not nice being dumped, but talking about it might ease the pain.
C'est la Vie