Gransnet forums

Chat

Horrible dolls

(32 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 10-Aug-18 19:26:56

Two of my grandchildren had Monster High dolls a few years ago. I called them voodoo dolls, they were hideous.
Now youngest grandchild has got a ghastly scary object like a mutant from a cartoon, with gigantic head and eyes like saucers, all in technicolour. It’s supposed to be a baby, cries and has a dummy to turn it off.
Where are the lovely baby dolls of yesteryear and why are children attracted to these perversions?

Bluegal Fri 10-Aug-18 19:44:41

Not sure what you actual dolls you mean but I remember being fascinated by troll dolls! It's just a fad I think. Mine have all sorts of weird looking things but they still love the good old fashioned teddies and dolls.

paddyann Fri 10-Aug-18 19:49:09

My girlies love their monster high dolls and I quite like them too,I dont like these silicon reborn dolls thay give me the creeps .Currently they have dolls that wee and poo ...joy!

muffinthemoo Fri 10-Aug-18 20:21:27

I adored Monster High when my cousin was collecting them, they had such awesome detailing!

Never liked Bratz though

BlueBelle Fri 10-Aug-18 20:58:22

I m with you Paddyann liked the monster high dolls and trolls and quite like those big eyed things can’t remember the names the reborn dolls are dreadful really creepy I m very glad none of mine wanted one of them the price is ridiculous too. People (mostly adults) love them and spend hundreds collecting them

paddyann Fri 10-Aug-18 21:19:27

my nearly 9 year old tells me her other granny has promised her a reborn for her birthday ...just as long as she keeps it at other granny's I'll be happy

stella1949 Sat 11-Aug-18 07:41:11

I kept my Rosebud walking doll from childhood, intending to give it to my granddaughter . Had her hair repaired and joints restrung at the dolls's hospital, made her a new dress AND a matching dress for said granddaughter.

Handed the doll over with a little bit of ceremony, telling Miss M that this was Grandma's dolly when she was young etc. Miss M took one look at her and said it made her feel scared, since it had a nasty look on it's face. She wouldn't touch it ! So much for handing on the treasured heirlooms from the past , ha ha. Miss M is 9 now and still won't touch that doll, who lives in the children's toy room, unloved and unwanted.

Miss M is a big fan of Monster High dolls now - they all like what they like and it really doesn't matter.

PECS Sat 11-Aug-18 08:32:17

One of my own DCs liked dolls the other preferred soft toy 'cuddlies' All 4 DGCs like cuddlies and none played with dolls! The 3 older DGC are very good with babies & small children. The youngest is still wary of younger people!!

Grandma70s Sat 11-Aug-18 08:35:44

My DIL adored her Cabbage Patch doll, which I thought hideous. (I didn’t say so.) She kept it lovingly in case she ever had a daughter. The daughter, my granddaughter now aged 6, couldn't be less interested. She only likes bunnies.

Ilovecheese Sat 11-Aug-18 10:57:27

Corralle and Gotz do some lovely dolls, but just seem to be on line, not in shops.

glammanana Sat 11-Aug-18 12:18:34

I'm not fond of the reborn dolls at all they give me the creeps and DGD is scared of them.
My little GGD plays with a Tiny Tears that belonged to my eldest GD (now 21) most days and an Annabelle doll that we bought when we where abroad as it was so much cheaper than here she push's them around in her dollies pram all day long so you have to watch your ankles when she visits.

rubytut Sat 11-Aug-18 12:34:37

I do not like that everything is a collection, it is not just the doll or soft toy ,the image is put on everything from clothing,stationary,magazines and bedding to name a few. Many times over the years I have bought things in the latest fad for it to be forgotten about within weeks as the new fad come out. I just dont seem to learn.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 12-Aug-18 10:06:50

My daughter use to put her brothers action man in the pram much to his horror.

nipsmum Sun 12-Aug-18 11:44:25

One of my problems, is the difficulty in getting pretty baby dolls to knit clothes for. I used to love doing them for School fêtes and Brownie and Guide fund raising raffles. But they are either very expensive or just plain ugly now.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Aug-18 12:13:06

A similar story to stella1949's.... I have kept my 2 teddy bears from my own childhood but the were both looking their age. I took them to a Doll's Hospital to be restuffed, joints repaired and new eyes. Having paid over £100 I was optimistic my GC would love them. My God! The shrieks of horror were blood curdling! Niether child would even go in the same room that the teddies were in, let alone touch them!
No idea what to do with them now. grin

inishowen Sun 12-Aug-18 12:52:18

My granddaughter was mad about Monster High dolls for a while. She had one which she called Draggy Nora. I know that wasn't the correct name but we thought she'd improved on the name!

gillyknits Sun 12-Aug-18 14:55:38

Old Cabbage patch dolls can be washed try a pretty penny on EBay. My daughter told me off or getting rid of her childhood ones.

gillyknits Sun 12-Aug-18 15:04:27

That was supposed to be Worth a pretty penny!

grannytotwins Sun 12-Aug-18 15:08:24

I kept my daughters’ dolls In case I had a granddaughter. I now have one who says she hates dolls. Yuk! We took them to a boot fair and she enjoyed selling them.

SSDGM Sun 12-Aug-18 15:09:11

BlueBelle yes those reborn dolls are hideously creepy, and adults spend more on them than kids do! We had a yard sale (I’m American btw) and had a lot of baby girl clothes for sale, one lady bought almost all of the infant clothing, there were loads because we had twin girls and was going on and on about how good they would look on her ‘baby.’ I figured she meant her grandchild or something, it wasn’t until she bought a crib, swing and bassinet that she mentioned she needed more space for her ‘collection.’ I gave a perplexed look and she explained that she had over 20 reborn dolls that were her children, but she swore she wasn’t ‘crazy!!’ Um, lady you just spent over $300 on babygear for a doll. To each their own, but the though of grown adults playing with dolls and treating them like live children give me the creeps.

muffinthemoo Sun 12-Aug-18 16:06:52

I hated “baby” dolls and they still give me the creeps, although I adored Barbies.

My granny inflicted my auntie’s old plastic baby doll on all the granddaughters. We were all mortally afraid of the thing. There is a family story that I was found as a toddler with a flask of holy water splashing the doll down and praying loudly because it was “bad”.

I have forbidden granny to traumatise her great grandkids with the thing, I’m still halfway convinced it’s a conduit for evil ?

Albangirl14 Sun 12-Aug-18 16:37:45

I still have my Rosebud doll from the 1950,s andkept it wrapped up in the wardrobe until recently when I thought why am I not letting my two grand daughters play with it? So now its in the playroom and sometimes played and sometimes not which is fine.

1974cookie Sun 12-Aug-18 17:54:42

I agree with you SSDGM re: those newborns 'dolls'.
I find them utterly creepy too.
I truly hope that I do not upset any Gransnetters when I say this, but when I have seen the advertisements of them, I think that they look as if they are stillborn not newborn because of the features and the fact that they look so floppy.

I would much rather have a Tressy, whose hair GREW thanks to a button in her tummy, and a key to wind it all back in again.

Bagatelle Sun 12-Aug-18 18:35:59

I loved the Golly that my Granny knitted and my teddy but never liked plastic dolls. For my 3rd birthday I was given a Red Riding Hood rag doll, also made by Granny, and she was a great success too. I've still got her and have made a copy for my granddaughter who insists that Red Riding Hood's real name is Anna. I've still got Teddy as well, but he is very fragile. Sadly, the moths got Golly but I wouldn't dare give her a copy of him.

watermeadow Sun 12-Aug-18 20:40:40

I’ve still got my teddy bear too. He’s seventy. I have pictures of him when new, when I was three. I cut the hair on the back of his head, expecting it to regrow.
Teddy is balding and long ago lost his paw pads (replaced with felt ones) and his eyes (replaced with buttons))