Gransnet forums

Chat

Tissues v handkerchiefs

(58 Posts)
PenJK50 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:33:45

My sons in law both use handkerchiefs for the purpose for which they were intended and anything else they see fit to do such as wipe a child’s nose. I haven’t used a handkerchief for about 40 years as tissues seem so much more hygienic if less eco friendly. I remember my mother boiling hankies in a galvanised bucket on the stove in order to kill the germs. She didn’t approve of tissues until her latter years. When did you last use a hanky for blowing your nose? My husband always has one in his pocket in case he needs to wipe his brow but never blows his nose on it.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 11:42:06

We were forbidden to blow our noses on our hankies, as my mum hand washed for years. smile

Blinko Sat 11-Aug-18 11:57:09

I haven't used a handkerchief for years. Can't remember how many. OH still does, never tissues.

FlexibleFriend Sat 11-Aug-18 12:04:19

Not since I was a child, Tbh I find them disgusting. At least a tissue gets thrown in the bin, the thought of a used hanky going round in the washing machine with my clothes is a bit disturbing.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 12:14:53

We kept some of my mums lovely, snowy white hankies, and used them at her funeral.
My daughter was buried with one of them.

lilypollen Sat 11-Aug-18 12:27:51

DH has always used handkerchiefs and it drives me mad having to launder them. I've used tissues since I was a teenager, so much more practical and hygienic.

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Aug-18 12:28:53

Grampy always uses a snow white hanky when we are out but tissues for indoors.

Lucky really because I really don't want a bag full of his used tissues if we are out and not near a bin :-)

maytime2 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:34:08

This thread reminds me of a Christmas present I received from my then young son (He's fifty odd now). He bought his father some monogrammed white linen handkerchiefs whilst I was given a box of tissues. When I asked him why the difference he replied that was all he ever saw me use. With the money that he saved a bought himself a small ornament .

mumofmadboys Sat 11-Aug-18 12:39:03

If I am ever tearful I definitely want a hankie!

BlueBelle Sat 11-Aug-18 12:50:23

I don’t think I ve used a hanky since I left school, tears go on tissues just the same as blowing When the kids were small before boxes and packets of tissues were around I d always carry a small amount of soft loo roll in the bottom of my bag
I don’t think I know anyone who uses a hanky my Dad always did and mum used to have a pretty lacy one in her bag

Auntieflo Sat 11-Aug-18 13:49:22

DH always uses a proper hanky, always has, always will. I suppose I have just got used to it. I have been using a hanky in this heatwave. It was so hot and every tissue I used disintegrated, at the first mop of my brow.
Oddly enough, I have just sorted out DH bedside cabinet, and discovered many white hankies, recycled from old sheets. All neatly hemmed and pressed. (Oh I was a busy little housewife, back in the day) They have been there for many a year/years. My, but they must have been rough on his poor little snitch ? . They have now all gone in the bin, so I wonder if he will ever notice they are missing?

kittylester Sat 11-Aug-18 14:06:40

But who empties the bins full of snotty, germy tissues?

We use a mixture.

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 14:07:32

Not hankies, not tissues either. Kitchen towel for me every time, it doesn't leak all over your hands and doesn't disintegrate when in use either.

pollyperkins Sat 11-Aug-18 14:14:01

I completely disagree with the statement that tissues are more hygienic. Bins full of germy tissues are disgusting. They block toilets. So how to dispose?
A hot wash and iron is all that is necessary with a proper hankie. DH always has a clean one every day.
Though I admit to using tissues but get into trouble for dropping them everywhere (by mistake.) I use proper hankies for soecial occasions though.

pollyperkins Sat 11-Aug-18 14:14:30

Kitchen towels are very hard on the nose!

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 14:39:14

When my grandpa died in 1948, we inherited a quantity of silk handkerchiefs which were lovely and soft on red, chapped noses. I know my mum put them in a hot wash with the other hankies and they came to no harm. It was sometime later that tissues came on the scene. I inherited some navy gym knickers from my cousins that had a little pocket for a hanky; otherwise you just tucked it under the elastic.

Lynne59 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:44:35

Tissues, always. Not one person in my family owns a hanky. They are so very unhygienic

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 14:47:26

All my used kitchen towels go in to the compost container and then onto the compost heap.

DanniRae Sat 11-Aug-18 15:03:31

My husband uses hankies and they go in a 60 deg wash.
I use tissues but had a man's cotton hankie to hand in that hot weather, like you Auntieflo.
For years I had a tartan hankie that belonged to my dear dad. I kept it in my handbag for wiping hands, tears etc but it went awol - where to I don't have a clue but I miss it! sad

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 15:08:22

Unless a tissue is immediately disposed of, the second you've wiped your nose, then its just as grotty, germ wise, as I hanky.

shysal Sat 11-Aug-18 15:13:14

I carry a proper hankie in every pocket and bag, but rarely use them as I hate washing and ironing them (boil them up in an old pan). When at home I use toilet paper.

DanniRae Sat 11-Aug-18 15:24:45

I NEVER iron hankies. They just get screwed up when in use. Mind you I have to say that I never iron anything else much!grin

pollyperkins Sat 11-Aug-18 15:36:49

Could someone expain to me just why a cloth hankie is considered to be unhygienic compared to a tissue? I just dont get it!

cornergran Sat 11-Aug-18 15:40:21

A mixture used here. I always take a proper hankie out with me. Mr C takes two. At home it’s a mix of tissues and hankies, oddly there are many tissues, fortunately not all, I seem to be allergic to, immediate rash. Wonder what’s in them.

Nanabilly Sat 11-Aug-18 16:10:25

We all had one of my mum's pretty cotton embroidered handkerchieves and all used it or had it in our pocket or bag at her funeral too. I have never used it since but I feel a tummy rumble when I see it among my knickers .
Tissues , if they are a good quality one are better but the cheaper ones disintegrate to dust upon use. I once used cheap ones at a funeral and my black jacket looked as if I had bad dandruff.