Gransnet forums

Chat

Its all my fault ....(light hearted )

(71 Posts)
paddyann Sat 11-Aug-18 16:18:05

Just had my daughter on the phone ,its her birthday next month and she's not happy her OH will be working away for it.She is having a big party the day after and he will be there though he'll arrive late .Apparently is all MY fault her expectations are so high .".I always gave her fab birthdays" I'll add that to the "its all your fault I'm a chocolate addict because you never let me have any for years "

What do you gat the blame of in your family .

HAZBEEN Sat 11-Aug-18 16:30:24

Everything from running out of beer (OH) to failing to get rid of a spot before a big date (daughter)!

Granny23 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:34:33

I get the same complaint about parties, as ours were always 'the best' when the DDs were wee, just as my DM had put on wonderful parties for my sister and me. My DGD have themed (eg,Harry Potter, with wands and photos of the guests flying, etc and my favourite an indoor Beach Party in February, complete with an inflatable pool, sand pit, deckchairs, palm trees, Caribbean music and an ice cream stall) I get dragged into help because 'it was me that set the bar so high.

It is also my fault that they HAVE to grow fruit and veg in their gardens and make jams, jellies, soups and stews.

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 16:39:48

My father came over to our holiday house in France, booked his tickets forgetting I had told him we would be coming home on the morning ferry not the afternoon one. We caught the morning ferry and he followed in the afternoon.

Before he drove to Cherbourg he went in to a patissier's and brought some cream cakes to take home for friends and put them on the front passenger seat. On the way to the ferry he noticed the sun was shining on them and tried to move them and, taking his eye off the road, drifted into the central barrier.

The accident was mild, the car was still drivable and he was unhurt. When he got home he rang my sister to tell her what had happened and said to her that the accident was entirely MY fault, as if I had reminded him about the morning ferry, he would not have been travelling late afternoon and the sun would not have been shining on the cakes hmm

kittylester Sat 11-Aug-18 16:40:03

Everything, I expect! grin

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:04:13

Sticking with the birthday theme - it's our fault DD has a Christmas birthday.

Grammaretto Sat 11-Aug-18 17:49:33

I get the blame here for most things. Especially not passing on vital information but then being told I'm a blabbermouth who can't keep a secret.
Christmas birthdays. Guilty too but MOnica I really don't think you can be held responsible for the sun.
I still blame DM for an obsession with dieting and I am absolutely forbidden to mention slimming or weight or size to my DGDs.

Greenfinch Sat 11-Aug-18 17:52:35

And ours that our DD has a November birthday when her brothers were born in the Spring.

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Aug-18 17:56:27

^ it's our fault DD has a Christmas birthday.^

I think she might have a point, Jalima. wink

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Aug-18 17:59:28

It’s my fault DD2 never made Irish Dancing World Champion.

I told her you couldn’t have lessons unless you were Irish (I’d seen the price of those dresses shock).

Deedaa Sat 11-Aug-18 18:29:53

DD always assured me that her awful exam results would be my fault for not making her work hard enough (3 good A Levels, a 2.1 and a PhD)! This week I told her I couldn't look after one of the children as it clashed with a dentist's appointment. She said she would have to go on Mumsnet and tell them all that her mother NEVER helps out. I told her I would tell Gransnet that she wasn't letting me see the children grin

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 18:57:12

I also got blamed for DD falling out with flatmate and childhood friend. The problem was that I made her grow up in a home where the living room is always tidy. Said flatmate used to do her ironing in the living room and leave the iron and ironing board in there. This used to irritate DD beyond measure (she owned the flat).

There were other reasons as well, but as I have long commented a Mothers place is in the wrong.

cornergran Sat 11-Aug-18 19:02:23

It seems it’s my fault they have an over developed work ethic and one of them is a perfectionist. Agree M0nica Aa mother’s place is indeed in the wrong. smile.

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 19:12:43

It's my fault (obviously) that DS2 didn't always get his homework done. But of course, a first class degree, MBA and a very decent job have been all his own work!

Greenfinch Sat 11-Aug-18 20:21:10

It's my fault that DD felt ill on her wedding day. I had given her some suspect blue cheese the day before.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:24:00

I should have apparently 'cracked the whip' a bit more over homework grin
However, they all seem to have done very well without any input from me (apart from support).

SueDonim Sat 11-Aug-18 20:48:18

It's my fault that I forever ruined Christmas for the friend of one of my children.

Said friend, a teenager, came to us for Xmas all the way from Australia. She seemed to enjoy herself but near the end, my Dd informed me that I had ruined Christmas for Katy. I was shock and asked what on earth I'd done.

Apparently, she'd had such a good time with us that Christmas with her own family would in future just be so boring and ordinary that it was completely ruined for her. grin

ninathenana Sun 12-Aug-18 00:28:27

It's my fault DD has really awful periods and PCOS just the same as it was my mum's fault I suffered the same.

ginny Sun 12-Aug-18 06:51:22

It’s my fault that DD2 has a Christmas birthhday. It’s my fault DD3 carries her heart on her sleeve.
It’s my fault DD1 hates speaking on the ‘phone. It’s my fault that they all love caravanning and have had to purchase vans.

Guilty on all charges !

It’s my fault that they are beautiful, kind and hard working too . ?

LisaP Sun 12-Aug-18 10:03:19

Everything ?

Rosina Sun 12-Aug-18 10:04:07

My fault that they still feel morally obliged to write thank you letters.

Bridgeit Sun 12-Aug-18 10:11:46

‘You should have reminded me’. Seems to be the favourite cop out ?

suzz Sun 12-Aug-18 10:11:47

My fault i'm their mother !

lovebooks Sun 12-Aug-18 10:17:48

Mothers are ALWAYS to blame. Accept it.

tavimama Sun 12-Aug-18 10:18:27

With twin teenagers - I was recently told it was my fault they were even born! After all - they didn’t ask for it! This because I asked them to tidy their
room (sigh) confused