Gransnet forums

Chat

Stop curtseying

(129 Posts)
Baggs Sun 12-Aug-18 06:57:05

I think women should stop curtseying. Men don't curtsey. What's wrong with a handshake?

janeainsworth Sun 12-Aug-18 07:05:48

Isn’t the male equivalent of curtseying bowing?
Why does it matter?

Jane10 Sun 12-Aug-18 07:08:41

We used to have to curtsey to our headmistress when I was a little girl. Not sure if my knees would let me now. I suppose it's too late for me to be a debutante? grin

Baggs Sun 12-Aug-18 07:10:15

By the way, I have been a great curtseyer in my time, as part of the Scottish Country Dancing tradition. Dance is different from formal introductions and greetings.

Also—and perhaps this is the rub—a curtsey done by someone wearing a knee length (or shorter) skirt just looks ridiculous. If one's legs, completely or down to mid calf, are covered by flowing skirts, somehow it's not so silly-looking.

What do men do when meeting royalty? Whatever it is, I bet it's more dignified.

Iam64 Sun 12-Aug-18 07:54:55

I just can’t get irritated by the recent press photographs of women curtsying to her maj. The press coverage I’ve seen has seemed based on the usual nonsense of encouraging non extstant competition between TM, MM and Sarah Ferguson. That’s what I find irritating

Baggs Sun 12-Aug-18 08:12:51

That is exactly what's irritating, iam. Our Prime Minister should not be open, through her physical awkwardness, to looking so ungainly. I actually think Sarah Ferguson et al also look ungainly when they do it. It's an ungainly position to adopt.

The majesterial curtsey is the problem. A Royal Scottish Country Dance Society curtsey is elegant when done simply and properly and does not involve one's bum sticking out, one's head bowed, or one's legs looking awkward. You are supposed to look at the person you are greeting.

Men bow while still looking at their opposite number. Women using this much less ungainly greeting as well would solve the problem.

Yes, in the big scheme of things it's a small problem. One's allowed to talk about small problems.

Oldwoman70 Sun 12-Aug-18 08:32:41

I don't think if a woman chose a slight bow instead of a curtsey the Queen (or any of the RF) would have them rushed off to the tower!

gillybob Sun 12-Aug-18 08:44:06

The recent photographs and the TV coverage of the PM curtseying to Willie made me so angry. A woman of her position, standing, maturity and stature grovelling to someone just because of who his granny happens to be . So wrong .

kittylester Sun 12-Aug-18 08:48:08

It's not to him though is it? It's showing respect to the monarchy.

When I met Princess Anne I was told that a bow of the head was all that was required.

Pittcity Sun 12-Aug-18 08:48:09

A little bob or bow should suffice as a courtesy.

gillybob Sun 12-Aug-18 08:50:35

Why bob or bow or anything ? I don’t get it? Are they supposed to be our superiors ? Our betters?

stella1949 Sun 12-Aug-18 08:56:34

I don't think they are our superiors - they just hold a position which requires some respect. No different from the Prime Minister or President of any other country. I'd be happy to "bob" or bow my head to Royalty , but I'm sure that people who choose not to, are accepted by the Royals without any fuss. I'd think that , deep down, they care little what people do when they meet, as long as they are polite.

Anniebach Sun 12-Aug-18 09:05:27

Some choose to curtsy some don’t, what a fuss over one woman choosing to. I only bow to the cross, some don’t.

gillybob Sun 12-Aug-18 09:09:10

It wasn’t just the fact that TM chose to though Annie ( although I don’t think as PM she should as she is far more important than he is ) but she bent down so low I feared she would fall over .

MawBroon Sun 12-Aug-18 09:10:14

I shall desist immediately.
Not that I curtsey to many people these days grin

gillybob Sun 12-Aug-18 09:10:50

I can’t imagine ever being in a position where I would need to meet any of them . So I won’t lose sleep over it .

Anniebach Sun 12-Aug-18 09:13:17

She didn’t fall over gilly , you fears were unfounded ,

farview Sun 12-Aug-18 09:17:11

I just wouldn't curtsey to anyone!!!!

ginny Sun 12-Aug-18 09:23:03

Outdated practice, nothing to do with respect. I respect many people but would not dream of (or be expected to) curtesy.

AlieOxon Sun 12-Aug-18 09:26:18

Is a curtesy a somewhat more submissive action than a bow?

Auntieflo Sun 12-Aug-18 09:29:19

My first thought was that I am not moving in the right circles grin, as like Maw Broon, I don't curtsey to many, and can't remember when I last did

MawBroon Sun 12-Aug-18 09:30:11

It is after all a primitive gesture, lowering one’s head to below the level of the “superior being” one is meeting.
Bowing, curtseying, kneeling, kowtowing or prostrating oneself all go back to time immemorial. Even in the animal kingdom animals will lower their stance like a Labrador puppy rolling over to indicate obeisance.
But then so does clapping /applauding to indicate approval.
I have often wondered why we do it, but continue to do so.

janeainsworth Sun 12-Aug-18 09:32:53

Gestures of courtesy aren’t confined to royalty or even the ‘upper’classes.
In the days when all men wore hats of some sort or another, they tipped their hats or caps at people they knew, whether men or women.
‘Howdo?’ was a commonly heard greeting in my childhood which accompanied the lifting of the hat. Just for the record, I grew up in a working-class district of Stockport.

When we’re out walking or cycling, people will often nod and smile. When we’ve been in America, complete strangers will smile and say ‘How ya doin’?’
It’s just a part of the human interaction that gels society.
Bowing and curtseying, as well as signifying obeisance and loyalty to the monarch, whom we have until someone thinks of a better system, is simply the top-end, most formal type of greeting.

Personally I object far more to being expected to hug and kiss people I barely know.

illtellhim Sun 12-Aug-18 09:37:43

I wouldn't waste my time with these people, not that they would have anything to do with me.
There was just 1 thing wrong with the French Revolution, it stopped at the channel, if only we'ed had a tunnel then.

Grannyknot Sun 12-Aug-18 09:41:01

I do a Curtsey Lunge in my exercise class. It feels pretty good. I can't think I'd curtsey to another person, ever. That would just feel dumb.