Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is the oldest/youngest?

(50 Posts)
minesaprosecco Mon 13-Aug-18 07:12:59

Just feeling a bit curious - who is the oldest/youngest GNetter looking after grandchildren? At 63, I know I'm neither!

kittylester Mon 13-Aug-18 07:14:56

I will be about smack in the middle I think. I'm 70 in January.

OldMeg Mon 13-Aug-18 07:25:41

Depends on what age you mean by ‘looking after’. I’m pretty ancient but still get lumbered with school age grandchildren during the holidays. Much easier though than babies.

Nana3 Mon 13-Aug-18 07:32:52

I'm 70 next birthday. No babies for me either but the four and six year olds need some chasing after.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Aug-18 07:43:40

73 and youngest is 12 so not regular childcare any more still some duties though ?

Charleygirl Mon 13-Aug-18 07:50:32

74 and no GC thank goodness. I suppose I am about mid range age wise.

ninathenana Mon 13-Aug-18 08:17:30

I'm 63 but no longer doing child care due to them moving 3 hr drive away.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Aug-18 08:17:46

59. 3 grandsons. Child care/ fun with 3 year old and 5 year old. ??football

aggie Mon 13-Aug-18 08:25:53

I am 80 and had GS 3 mornings aweek from 7am till time for school , he is off to secondary next September and gets the bus from his front door , so I am now redundant ?

TwiceAsNice Mon 13-Aug-18 08:29:57

65 I have the grandchildren, 2 nine year olds ad hoc in the holidays to help their mum but not regular days. She works at their school so she drives them there and back in term time. I usually have them for tea once a week when they are in school but I don't do regular childcare now they are a bit older

hillwalker70 Mon 13-Aug-18 08:30:11

70. G.children, 3,5,6 and 9, only 2 at a time though.

Annana Mon 13-Aug-18 08:31:39

Well at 69 ( still cannot believe it) have assumed guardianship of my 3 grandchildren , like with some other gns who really had little choice. Once shock is over, 3 years later it´s actually OK.

DoraMarr Mon 13-Aug-18 08:41:52

I’m 69, and at the moment on Tuesdays I arrive at daughter’s house at 7 and get youngest grandchild up and take him to nursery, then pick him up later. On Wednesday I have my 20 month old granddaughter ( she’s hilarious) then I have my grandson on Thursday and Friday- he stays over on Thursday night. I also have the 20 month old to stay over a coup,e of times a month , and go to London to care for my 15 month old granddaughter about once a month too. I love it, but it is tiring! I’m usually on my own too. My partner, who lives apart, is partially disabled, so can’t help much. My children are grateful, and when my son in law is fully recovered he will do the nursery trips, and he will also do a four day week so I will only have my grandson one day. Then I will have the two local grandchildren together on the same day.
My mother, who is ninety, has two of her great grandchildren, six and nine, after school one day a week.

Diana54 Mon 13-Aug-18 08:46:53

65 years young, not keen on babies, girls of any age welcome, civilized boys only.

littleflo Mon 13-Aug-18 09:07:42

I am 70 and seem to have been looking after little ones for the past 50 years. I had my first child at 20, I was a childminder for 16 years and became a Gran at 45. My 4 eldest GCs are at work but the 4 youngest are at nursery and primary.

They will be arriving later this week. I wonder if I will be looking after any GGCs.

I do think that being involved with them keeps me fit and young.

gillybob Mon 13-Aug-18 09:20:24

I’m 56 . Working 30 hours a week now, plus 2 days/nights childcare for 3 ( soon to be 4 ) grandchildren . School runs most days depending on DDiL’s shifts .

silverlining48 Mon 13-Aug-18 09:21:04

70, two young grandchildren, youngest just started school so only required for school pick ups now. A relief as early starts and long days were tiring.

MiniMoon Mon 13-Aug-18 09:27:36

I'm 66 and have one DGC per week for a sleepover. Usually Thursday/Friday. Nobody is coming this week though as I'm preparing for my holiday. DH is enough to cope with ??.

Beau Mon 13-Aug-18 09:43:11

I'm 61 and looked after DGS 10-12 hours per day but only 2 hours or so on the 2 days he goes to nursery now - I do cleaning and catch up with my own washing on those days (still a bit 'homeless' until granny annexe finished but I have a lovely flat down South which I see for about one night every 6 weeks - how I enjoy my peaceful baths there ?) - yes, childcare is tiring but I feel I taught him everything he knows ?

joannapiano Mon 13-Aug-18 09:49:03

I’m 69 and after 17 years of looking after some of our 8 GC part-time, our youngest starts school in September, so will only have some school runs and a few days in the holidays.
I was working part-time until I was 62, but it all got a bit too much!
We feel we are lucky to be part of their lives.

Minerva Mon 13-Aug-18 09:54:03

76. I take him to Nursery and bring him home. In four weeks he will start school but I will be taking him and collecting him 3 days a week and looking after if he is ill.

Had three of them sleeping over this weekend.

henetha Mon 13-Aug-18 09:57:21

I'm 80 and mostly retired from child care now. Feels like I had a lifetime of looking after children. Tiring, but wonderful.
My youngest grandchild is 15 and I'm taking her to the cinema tomorrow.

DoraMarr Mon 13-Aug-18 09:57:22

I feel lucky, too, and extremely fortunate to be in good health so that, even though I find it tiring, I can still do it. I know my ninety year old mother feels the same! She is pretty amazing, as she doesn’t just make tea and then leave them to watch TV, but does cooking and crafts with them too. During the World Cup she did a football- themed evening, with a cake iced like a football, medals she made herself, and a goal she rigged up. They adore their great-grandmother!

Grammaretto Mon 13-Aug-18 10:02:24

Doramarr I saw you on another thread about the loneliness of childcare which I can relate to. I do hardly any now - I'm 69 - because they are either too far away or the DGC are in nurseries which hardly existed when ours were young.
We had a network of coffee mornings, baby sharing mornings and toddler groups. Our own parents were out at work and gt GPS were too old though I sometimes asked very deaf gt GM to babysit.
Once I came back from a school parent's evening to hear baby howling and kids running riot. Gt GM was watching very loud TV . She smiled sweetly and said the children had been no trouble at all!
littleflo!!!! you are a saint.

Beau Mon 13-Aug-18 10:02:35

I'm so impressed that so many keep going for so long - maybe I have more useful years in me than I sometimes think ?