Gransnet forums

Chat

cataract aftercare

(30 Posts)
annep Wed 15-Aug-18 12:15:31

Husband had op yesterday. Hospital treatment very good as usual. Brilliant NHS staff. Sent home with eye drops - one to be kept in fridge. and instructions on sterilising and swabbing etc. Fine for us. I will make a chart. Although I have ME and am exhausted and have to make sure I get it right. I pity anyone not very capable having to do this. Potential for error is high I think. I'm sure years ago people would have been kept in at least one night and started on the aftercare. My husband wasn't sure what to do. Lucky he had me. Am I fussing maybe?

heavensjoys Wed 15-Aug-18 12:44:34

You are not fussing at all, annep. I had my cataract operation last Wednesday, and I still feel very 'wobbly'.

Consultant, Surgeon and Nursing have been first class - thankyou our wonderful NHS. The post operation regime is very strict with the 2 sets of drops and hygiene advice on no hair washing and no showers etc

I cannot go without my daily bath, so am having very shallow baths and wear my glasses in the bath (not a pretty sight!!). Also advised to use spray dry shampoo, so not ideal at all.

I do wish your Husband well, and am so sorry that you have to carry out all the 'Nurse' duties for him with your own health issues. Take care.

annep Wed 15-Aug-18 14:32:41

Thank you so much Heavensjoys ( what a lovely name) for sharing how you are managing. and for your advice. very helpful. Wishing you a good recovery too.

Telly Wed 15-Aug-18 14:43:26

My husband has had both in eyes done in the last couple of years. I too wonder how people cope who do not have someone to care for them. It is especially difficult for you as you have your own health issues too. On the positive side, he did make a good and quick recovery, despite all his other numerous health problems. Try not to worry, and give the hospital a call if you have any problems.

Panache Wed 15-Aug-18 14:46:36

Very reassuring reading for those of us with cararact operations ahead of us ...Thank you all.......and yes what a lovely name Heavensjoys. it has me imagining great things!!

annep Wed 15-Aug-18 15:17:54

I shall let my husband read this. Thank you Telly. and all the best for yours * Panache* My husband said the operation was fine. didn't feel a thing and it was nothing to worry about.

heavensjoys Wed 15-Aug-18 16:11:51

How kind of you to say so Panache, I am blessed by 4 wonderful Grandchildren, so they truly are my heavensjoys. Lots of luck with your op too.

Annep, thankyou, it sounds as though your Husband is going along fine. Long may that continue and you take care too!!

mcem Wed 15-Aug-18 16:32:53

annep try to think of the aftercare in the way you and OH think of the actual op- not nearly as difficult as you'd imagined.
Clean hands, sitting still, a bit of practice! You'll soon get the hang of it and if you miss and there's a dribble on his cheek it really doesn't matter. In a couple of days you'll be confident and coping.

M0nica Wed 15-Aug-18 16:51:10

I had both my cataracts dealt with when I was in my 60s, about 10 years ago, DH has had his done more recently.

As I remember aftercare was no more than putting drops in twice a day, and having baths rather than showers for a week. I washed my hair by lying back in the bath and keeping my eyes shut.

Beyond that I felt fine as soon as the operation was over. DH felt a bit hung over but I put this down to me being someone who snaps out of all forms of sedation and local anaesthetic as if I had never had it and DH usually reacting quite badly to such treatment.

annep Wed 15-Aug-18 18:35:26

Its 2 different drops 4 times a day each and you have to swab the eye carefully with sterilised water beforehand. The drops are used for different kengths of time. One for two weeks four tjnes a day falling to twice a day for second two weeks. One of them must be kept in the fridge. Its not simple for everyone, especially if you're not feeling well. And people are given the instructions after surgery although they are written as well. Not everyone is good at that sort of thing. Perhaps a chart to tick would be a good idea.

M0nica Wed 15-Aug-18 20:00:28

Gosh, we had nothing like that. It does sound very complicated.

Iam64 Wed 15-Aug-18 20:19:30

It’s not so complicated really, just needs routines establishing. I had both mine done about four months apart last year. I listened to books on CD because watching tv or reading for any length of time is not advised.

annep Wed 15-Aug-18 20:25:42

thanks for that lam64. My husband needs to read this. Thankfully we are getting into the routine.

mcem Wed 15-Aug-18 22:28:29

Don't remember such a strict regime but pleased to hear you're getting i to the routine. Keep up the good work!

thd

annep Wed 15-Aug-18 22:56:08

mcem just noticed your first message. thank you for your encouragement. everyone is so nice. thank you ?

annep Thu 16-Aug-18 17:14:36

We are told no heavy lifting or housework so can anyone offer advice on what it is safe to do please. Or should he continue to listen to radio 4, dust, and make cups of tea!

Iam64 Thu 16-Aug-18 22:03:05

Annep, the advice is hopefully linked to the surgery. If they say no heavy lifting, that’s good advice. One of mine was complex, the other slightly less so. I was walking my dogs, plus eye patch within a couple of days. Your husband can increase his domestic contribution, without fear

annep Thu 16-Aug-18 22:24:36

Thanks Iam64. Yours sounds more complicated and you are out walking your dogs so I think my husband could be a bit more active. I think as long as its safe, being active is much healthier.

Missterious Thu 16-Aug-18 22:45:07

DH two ops, one with no local anaesthetic, one with. First op, eye sore but back to normal day after. Second op fine from the word go. Two paracetamol and you'd never know he had had surgery. This really is considered minor surgery these days!

annep Fri 17-Aug-18 06:49:34

I hear you Missterious. We have a friend who fell after her op and it caused a complication and another op. I guess I was over nervous. Today will be a normal day!?

Missterious Fri 17-Aug-18 08:15:41

Good for you annep, take care flowers

watermeadow Fri 17-Aug-18 17:09:37

Mr SpecSavers told me that no surgeon would touch my eyes with a barge pole, because I only have useful sight in one eye. If anything went wrong I’d be blind.
I have cataracts and, when it can’t be put off any longer, I’d want to be kept in overnight, as I couldn’t cope with my good eye covered.
I worry about this, of course, and can only hope that I get a very good surgeon, not a learner.

annep Fri 17-Aug-18 19:45:10

I'mv not sure I understand watermeadow. Are you only getting one eye fixed? My husband has to have both eyes done but its only one at a time.

annep Fri 17-Aug-18 20:04:28

So my husband was trying to remove one lens from his spectacles as the sight in his eye is better than the one that still needs cataract removed. I offered to help. Trying to unscrew frame, pushed down hard on screwdriver and it went full force into my finger which stupidly was underneath! Blood spurted out, so painful. Oh well, at least my husband is active again making dinner ?.

Moocow Fri 17-Aug-18 22:01:54

Ouch annep sounds like one of those times when you're left wishing you'd just left the other to sort themselves out! Hope your DH will soon be back to normal and in the meantime you continue to manage.