Gransnet forums

Chat

Churches

(40 Posts)
Ormond56 Fri 17-Aug-18 06:35:49

Hi all. first time on all this so hope I do it all right. Been feeling bit low lately so just had the feeling that I needed to sit quietly somewhere for a chance to think so off I went to my village local church(which I don’t frequent except Christmas with School children and odd jumble sale) but so sadly found it was all locked up so no quiet place today.

ninathenana Fri 17-Aug-18 06:44:14

Welcome to GN Ormond

A sad sign of the times isn't it that churches are usually locked. DH and I used to often take a look at country churches when on holiday with our children. That can't be done so much now.
It is good to have somewhere to sit and quietly reflect, I don't know where else you could find that peace.

cornergran Fri 17-Aug-18 06:59:56

Hello ormond. I’m sorry you’re feeling low and your quiet space wasn’t available to you. Would sitting in a garden help you? My ‘go to’ is the sea, easy as we live in a seaside town if that’s not available our own garden or a seat in a larger, often National Trust, garden works for me. I hope you find that peaceful spot soon.

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Aug-18 07:02:29

So strange this relationship between the church and the population.
Like many others I had never given it much thought, I don’t believe in God but when our local church held an emergency village meeting about the future of ours I got involved.
Now, for my sins, I am the treasurer.
It costs approx£350/week to keep the church up and running plus people willing to go up every day to open and close the church, tidy up the mess made by visitors, make sure there is enough oil etc.
I’m sure that most people think that there is some sort of money tree that the parish church has access to. Well there isn’t and if we want to keep them going and open then we have to put in some effort. Personally I think the ‘big church’ just seems to be ignoring the fact that benefices all over the country are failing to attract enough donors to pay their way.
Times have changed, few country churches have extremely small congregations. We only have about 4 services a year now, so not much in the way of collection or community spirit. We had to cancel our last fund raising event through lack of support but then so did the school and the village hall. So it’s not necessarily religion that is being rejected it’s community. Everyone has so much else to do.
The relationship between the church and the community is a two way street.
How often have you volunteered to open a church so that those who need a quiet space can find one?

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 07:19:40

Interesting to hear about local churches from the inside perspective Pamela

M0nica Fri 17-Aug-18 07:20:27

I used to volunteer with the Churches Conservation Trust, which looks after redundant churches of special architectural and historic interest. It is a charity that gets some money from the Church of England and the government but needs to raise much of its own funds to do the task it was formed to do. They usually keep their churches open because the insurers say that much of the damage done to churches is in breaking in rather than in what is taken.

Nevertheless thieves have come into churches and cut out panelling from Rood Screens and removed memorials from the walls to sell for scrap, while the stripping of lead from roofs is so common it is hardly ever mentioned.

In towns we also have to make sure that groups of teenagers are not using the church as a hang-out for drinking or using it for purposes like drug dealing. The CCT also has the responsibility of making sure that the buildings are structurally and electrically safe inside and out.

Many churches, even in big villages can be in isolated or quiet locations where it is difficult to keep an eye on them.

Sadly, because so few people now attend church and there are now so few clergy and so little money, the sanctuary and peace that churches gave to so many people in times of distress or stress is no longer available to many.

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Aug-18 07:35:47

absolutely Monica, it’s sad that the CC Trust May have a lot more church’s needing their services.
I’ve just reread my post, I hope that you didn’t think I was being critical of you, ormand, on your first post. My last sentence was just an observation really.

NanKate Fri 17-Aug-18 07:45:03

Good morning Ormond I do understand your need for some peace and quiet and reflection when you are feeling down. In this past year which has not been easy for my family I have regularly gone to sit in the local Catholic Church which is always open. I am not catholic but it doesn’t matter I am still welcome. I always buy for a few pence some candles for those in my family and friends who I am concerned about. It is lovely watching the flickering light and calming down.

So what I suggest is you find another church and pop in. We have a United Reform Church in our town that is always warm and light. Any church will do.

Hope you start feeling better soon. ?

Ormond56 Fri 17-Aug-18 07:56:06

Thankyou all, lovely to hear from you. My church is a lovely friendly village church and open for usual services. I understand that these days it’s not as easy just to walk in and no criticism intended. Just felt at that moment would have been nice, never mind. Feel better today. Hope you all have a nice sunny day.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Aug-18 08:09:23

Hello Ormond, glad to hear that you are feeling better today.
It is a shame about churches not being 'open all hours', but I suppose that if we only use them on the odd occasion, we don't realise that many are locked. We are lucky here, that our church is open every day, and is used by so many different organisations, and we have a quiet room, where people may go when needed, so feel really blessed.

Anniebach Fri 17-Aug-18 09:00:02

So sorry you couldn’t sit in your church when you needed to Ormond, no idea how I would have coped without being able to go into church when ever I wanted to, and yes lighting a candle when troubled for someone.

callgirl1 Fri 17-Aug-18 18:01:28

I`m not a church goer, apart from weddings, christenings and funerals, but I do love to look round old churches, such a pity that they have to be kept locked most of the time now, due tom theft and vandalism. Last time we were in Kintyre we tried to look inside the A`Chleit village church at Muasdale, but sadly, it was locked up.

starbird Fri 17-Aug-18 18:15:08

I love going into old churches and in my area there are lots of historic and listed ones in pretty villages and you can feel the peace as soon as you enter the churchyard. They are usually open on a Saturday when I am most likely to go looking. One of the problems these days is that the vicar often has 6 or more villages to look after, so it needs a local church warden to be on hand to keep an eye on things.

paddyann Fri 17-Aug-18 20:39:02

I've spent a lot of my working life in churches but I'm not religious .The one day a year I go to church is my wedding anniversary and we always go to the lovely old church by a loch where we exchanged vows,this year it was locked too.Sign of the times or just the new ministers idea? We were quite sad about it as it was a special day and its a special place .

Anniebach Fri 17-Aug-18 21:06:59

Four major reasons for locked churches, insurance companies do refuse to insure. Vandalism. The alter and crucifix is used for filming sex scenes. Devil worship. To see a crucifix turned upside down is realy distressing.

Doodle Fri 17-Aug-18 21:12:26

ormond56 when my DH was undergoing major surgery I could not go and sit in the church by the hospital as there was quite a lot going on and I wanted some quiet. I just went and found a quiet corner of the churchyard and sat with my own thoughts. It was peaceful there. I also spent some time resting my hand on the stonework and gaining comfort. Don't forget God is with you everywhere not just inside the church but everywhere. Glad you are feeling a bit better today.

Ormond56 Fri 17-Aug-18 21:47:52

Thankyou to all x It’s really comforting to be able to chat which helps and yes I definitely feel better. Good advice Doodle there are a couple of benches in the church grounds so that’s where I can go next time I’m feeling in need of some quiet moments.

Marydoll Fri 17-Aug-18 22:11:29

Welcome Ormond,
Our church now has to stay locked , when there are no services.☹️
People keep. Stealing things. A sign of our times.

Marydoll Fri 17-Aug-18 22:15:46

I'm glad to find you are feeling a bit better.?

annep Fri 17-Aug-18 22:34:31

I'm glad you're feeling better Ormond. I hope you find a church that will be open next time you feel the need. Volunteering is actually a good idea. Churches are such peaceful places. I'm thinking of going back to services after a twenty year absence. I miss the lovely feeling it gave me and how I felt renewed and strengthened for the week ahead. I live in N.Ireland but I love visiting village churches in England and everyone is so welcoming.

jacq10 Fri 17-Aug-18 22:48:05

I'm not really religious but am now attending regularly with my DH who is unable to go himself. I can understand people appreciating the peace and stillness of an empty church but I love the music and singing. The choir has improved from when I used to go when our family were young - maybe something to do with the popularity of Gareth Malone!! As far as I know the church is open all day.

chocolatepudding Fri 17-Aug-18 22:59:03

Please may I mention a special project here in Suffolk where certain churches are open everyday. Have a look at this website
angelsandpinnacles.org.uk
There are walking and cycling routes between the various churches. We have enjoyed seeing inside them instead of just driving past.

annep Sat 18-Aug-18 03:18:20

I love the music and singing too!

Nelliemoser Sat 18-Aug-18 06:46:36

I am another person who likes the peace and calm of old churches but I am not a church goer or really a believer. How my brain deals with that confusion I don't really know.

annep Sat 18-Aug-18 08:10:04

Nelliemoser aren't we strange creatures ?