Gransnet forums

Chat

Introducing myself

(44 Posts)
Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 11:10:08

I have been asked by HQ to introduce myself as apparently this is the normal way of going about being a new member.

I have tried to find other examples of personal introduction but have been unlucky so far.

I am a gran, with a couple of grandchildren

My interests are widespread from walking to the theatre to studying to politics

I hope that is what is required

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 11:18:47

I seem also to have broken the rules by cutting and pasting.

Unfortunately I read many posts before I started to post and many were just that - cut and paste and I decided that was the best way forward as I didn’t want to get into an argument as I was new and there were many unpleasant remarks. This has it seems broken the rules and I have paid the consequences, although I can’t understand why others haven’t. Perhaps it’s because I am new? Although I did begin to think it was the message not the messenger.

GN want assurances that I understand the rules.

Well yes I do now.

So trust no more deletions will occur.

humptydumpty Fri 17-Aug-18 11:18:54

I've no idea - never did it myself!

illtellhim Fri 17-Aug-18 11:27:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ContraryMary88 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:27:51

I never introduced myself, and I was new quite recently.

Welcome!

ContraryMary88 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:29:03

illtellhim
WTH?
I hope that was a typo

illtellhim Fri 17-Aug-18 11:30:14

WTH was that a typo?

ffinnochio Fri 17-Aug-18 11:30:27

This is news to me. I know there have been occasions when new posters have introduced themselves, but not as a requirement by GNHQ.

Clarity with cut & paste will keep pickiness at bay, I expect.

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 11:34:22

Iamnotarobot Did you have to tick all the photographs showing a vehicle/shopfront? grin

Eilyann70 Fri 17-Aug-18 16:08:03

I am new but haven't ' checked in'?

kittylester Fri 17-Aug-18 16:29:13

I didn't either but it was yonks ago.

I didn't know that we shouldn't cut and paste either. I don't think I've ever done it but I was unaware that it wasn't allowed. Lots of other people have done it.

I have never heard of any one else being told to introduce themselves.

Was it HQ who told you that Iamnotarobot?

MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 16:33:19

Welcome, new grans. It's good to meet you all.
I try not to cut and paste, especially if it's a long piece, although I have done in the past. Posting a link is probably better, and takes up less room. ??

Squiffy Fri 17-Aug-18 16:40:00

I didn't know that we shouldn't cut and paste either. I don't think I've ever done it but I was unaware that it wasn't allowed. Lots of other people have done it.

I have never heard of any one else being told to introduce themselves.

Both of these are news to me, too! I've been on here for years (under a different name originally), but have never come across either being mentioned before hmm

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 16:41:53

Yes, it was I was told to stop cutting and pasting as it’s against the rules unless I add a note which I thought I was doing, and to introduce myself otherwise they were going to cancel my account, which surprised me quite a lot as I’ve never known a forum like that before.

Quite upsetting as other posters are cutting and pasting but don’t get their stuff deleted. I can’t understand it really.

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 16:42:50

That bit was to kittylester, sorry to muddle

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 16:48:35

Oh I’ve just read the cut and paste thread.

Glad that’s cleared up.

Hope my stay is less fraught now.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Aug-18 16:50:48

This all sounds very strange you don’t have to introduce yourself, it certainly isn’t a requirement some people do most just join in
There is a thread at the moment about cut and pasting LONG articles not being very easy to read etc but as far as I know there are no rules to say you can’t cut and paste
It sounds like a misunderstanding somewhere along the line

Perhaps GransNet HQ will come on here and explain to Iamnotarobot what they meant

allsortsofbags Fri 17-Aug-18 16:53:22

I have learned things from your post Iamnotarobot so I'm grateful to you for that.

Welcome and I hope your rocky start hasn't put you off.

There are some lovely people on GN and some interesting posts so I hope you carry on.

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 16:57:25

The message from GN was

“You can not copy and paste large chunks of text from one website to another. We will delete any of your posts that do.Weve suspended your account until we hear from you that you understand.

As a new poster it is worth introducing yourself in a more personal way”

So that’s what I’ve done.

merlotgran Fri 17-Aug-18 17:05:22

Crumbs! Suspension's a bit harsh.

joannapiano Fri 17-Aug-18 17:24:45

I don’t know how to cut and paste! Welcome to anybody who’s fairly new. I have been here virtually since the beginnings of GN. I find most people are very helpful and supportive.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Aug-18 17:27:01

I suppose it depends what you copied and pasted and from what source? If it’s a genuine source and you give the credit to that source unless it’s inflamatory or something it seems a bit mystifying

Iamnotarobot Fri 17-Aug-18 17:30:19

I pasted from The Guardian, The Canary, can’t remember what else, oh! Parliamentary reports from committees.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Aug-18 17:47:22

Hello! We're happy to discuss this with you again iamnotarobot. Do email us on contactus and we can explain further if you need? With regards copy pasting we always suggest a bit of context is given so it can be part of the conversation. And of course it always needs clear crediting to the source. New joiners aren't required to introduce themselves, though you're very welcome to!

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 17:56:00

The message from GN was
You can not copy and paste large chunks of text from one website to another. We will delete any of your posts that do.Weve suspended your account until we hear from you that you understand.
As a new poster it is worth introducing yourself in a more personal way
So that’s what I’ve done

I am horrified at this high handed and frankly discriminatory pronouncement from GNHQ!
You don’t suspend a new member’s account because the goalposts havebjust been moved!
I think Jura2 has a lot to answer for in her disingenuous enquiry/complaint to GNHQ regarding cutting and pasting as it has opened a whole can of very unpleasant worms. There are posters who under whatever circumstances like to cut and paste whole extracts from elsewhere- many of us have done so. You can’t always post a link, sometimes they don’t work, some may be extracts from long documents, and sometimes paywalls make it impossible.
So the “rules” have changed have they?
On whose say-so?
Nobody else has been ordered to “introduce themselves” in fact since profiles are no longer offered we may know next to nothing about members going back years.
Frankly I am gobsmacked and in your shoes Iamnotarobot I might have been tempted to suggest an alternative two word course of action.
I do wonder if the choice of username, which is presumably tongue in cheek has just been taken too literally and if you had called yourself Fluffykittenlover you might have been spared the least welcoming welcome ever. Some people really need to get a life and that includes dictating how posts should be composed. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Picky or what?
This is not the Gransnet I signed up to however many years ago.
Oh Jingl where are you when we need you?