Gransnet forums

Chat

to vape or not to vape, that is the question

(50 Posts)
petunia Fri 17-Aug-18 18:35:06

On the news this evening, there was a piece about vaping. There have been a number of suggestions put forward from the government committee; two of them really bother me.
Firstly that rules around vaping should be relaxed meaning that individuals could be allowed to vape on public transport and some public spaces.
The second being that the NHS should fund vaping as a means to quitting smoking.
Personally I would be very unhappy for vaping to be allowed in public and on public transport. The clouds of vapour and the sickly sweet smell are not at all pleasant and there is still a question mark over the long term safety of the vapour. I would not enjoy sitting on the bus and someone next to me begins vaping.
What do you think?

Alima Sat 18-Aug-18 08:12:24

I have very recently managed to not smoke for the last 60 days. I have not used an e cig, tried them before and ended up thinking “what’s the point”. Also I didn’t want to swop on habit for another. They work for some people, perhaps they should be available on the NHS but there again haven’t they got enough expense?
No, I don’t think people should be able to smoke on public transport/in offices and restaurants. Why go backwards?
I have always thought it was mean of “them” not to allow smoking on a railway platform in the outdoors, why?
As I am slowly getting my sense of smell back I agree about the pong. Totally amazed at the amount of vapour some of them produce. Is it a case of “my ones bigger than your one”?

Alima Sat 18-Aug-18 08:14:13

I meant smoke e cigs on public transport etc.

gillybob Sat 18-Aug-18 08:28:53

Sorry haven’t read the whole thread but just wondered has anyone successfully given up smoking and vaping? Or is it just a case of replacing one habit for another ?

notnecessarilywiser Sat 18-Aug-18 08:37:51

gillybob - for me it was replacing one habit for another, but my health and bank balance are very much better for the change! (My vaping kit produces next to no "smoke" and no discernible smell, BTW).

gillybob Sat 18-Aug-18 08:40:30

Thank you for that notnecessarilywiser . There is a family member I desperately wish would give up smoking for both health and financial reasons.

FarNorth Sat 18-Aug-18 08:44:17

which would you prefer to be walking past, or standing next to, a vaper or someone smoking a cigarette?

Walking past - I'd prefer a vaper as it's less disgusting than cigarettes. (Of course, I'd prefer neither)

Standing next to, or in an enclosed space - neither.

My DD likens both of those to smelly farting. How much do you want to be in an enclosed space with that?

GrandmaMoira Sat 18-Aug-18 12:22:45

I think it would be awful to allow vaping in confined spaces such as public transport. Some brands smell awful and they make me cough, I think it's something in the propellant. For those of us with asthma or allergies, all these chemical smells such as plug ins or spray deodorants make us cough.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Aug-18 12:40:29

As an asthmatic I find vaping equally as bad cigarettes, both cause a reaction and the need for me to use by blue reliever inhaler.

FlexibleFriend Sat 18-Aug-18 14:29:47

I've never smoked or vaped and think both should be banned on public transport and restaurants but I also think eating burgers etc should be banned from public transport, it's disgusting and I don't even use public transport.
As patches etc are available on the Nhs to enable and encourage people to stop smoking then although the Nhs is so hard pressed then maybe the could prescribe vaping for hardened smokers for a limited time. Smoking is after all an addiction and if it helps them to stop great. GP's do know which of their patients are hardened smokers. It pains me to say it because I struggle to get a particular item on prescription at times, they prescribe a very limited amount and if it's not enough I have to buy my own and this item is helping to keep me alive. So I can see it from both sides, If I had an addiction I should get help but that doesn't mean I should finance my habit on the Nhs.
I have no preference smoking or vaping is pretty irrelevant to me as none of my family smoke, one friend does so it's easy to avoid.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Aug-18 16:30:45

I would rather walk past a smoker than a vaper any time, and I hate the smell of cigarettes. However, the smell of some of these perfumed vapes (or whatever they are called) is so disgusting, and so strong, that, like others here, I find them quite nauseating.

As for allowing vaping in public places and particularly on public transport, what on earth is the point? If people who suffer a genuine addiction to tobacco are able to cope with the ban, why should people who want to vape not do the same? I know that some smokers do find it hard to go for a long time without a fag, but they do it. If vaping is not an addiction, vapers don't have the same problem.

Am I being cynical in wondering just who is bribing advising whom where this report is concerned?

aggie Sat 18-Aug-18 17:13:03

Gillybob No 3 Son has managed to stop smoking via the vape thing , and now he has managed to give it up too

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Aug-18 17:20:26

I am not often in the presence of smokers or vapers so I can’t really say if I have a preference to the smell.
I was listening to the radio the other day and I think the jury is still out regarding the safety of vaping. How terrible if, in the fullness of time, vaping is also harmful to us. I’d rather keep away if possible.

Cherrytree59 Sat 18-Aug-18 18:19:53

A few years ago (pre-vaping popularity)
I became quite alarmed and remarked to DH that there was an obvious problem with the car in front as steam/smoke was coming from both the driver and the front passenger windows.
As pulled along side the vehicle both occupants were emitting larger plumes of steam through the wound down windows.shock.
Vaping in tandem!

ScarletJohnson Mon 28-Sep-20 15:27:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 15:51:24

No one has yet proved that vaping isn’t harmful and you are just swapping one bad habit for another
Having worked in this field I m not at all happy with vaping most people that swap from smoking to vaping vape more than they would have smoked My ex son in law used to go outside about four times an Evening to smoke out if the way of children now he lays on the sofa and vapes all night

scarlet you are wrong vaping isn’t just steam they have awful chemicals in them to give you all the horrendous flavours that nearly make you sick as you walk behind someone puffing out clouds of sickly smelling ‘stuff’

Lucca Mon 28-Sep-20 15:54:09

Alina. Well done and keep it up.

Antonia Thu 01-Oct-20 10:35:21

Vaping was the only way I succeeded in giving up smoking, after many futile attempts.
I have a very basic vape stick, I don't blow out clouds of vapour and would never vape in proximity to other people. All it takes is a bit of common sense to know that people don't want vapour around them.

JenniferEccles Thu 01-Oct-20 10:47:53

I hate the sight and smell of vaping.

People walking down the street with these things (especially men) look like giant toddlers sucking on their dummies.

Why on earth should the NHS fund this stupid habit? Money should be spent on treating illnesses, not something which people can buy themselves if they must.

In any case what happened to good old fashioned will power for those giving up smoking?

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-20 11:22:28

I vape, stopped smoking two years ago, minimal amount of vapour emitted, no one has ever complained and our local pub allows it indoors. I feel loads better and my GP is happy.

Oopsyadaisy Sun 04-Oct-20 14:09:46

My husband runs a vape shop out of our house. Has been for 8 years. Im a care aide. As for vaping, i support it. BUT NOT AS SOMETHING TO STAY ON! I will explain my meaning. There are people who smoke and literally cannot quit because They are addicted so bad to the nicotene or they have underlying mental health issues. In fact stopping can actually cause mania and severe depression in some. The pills that are out there also dont work for everyone. Why? Because they are z as form of an inti depressant.
So what my h does when someone comes in, he evaluates from how much they are smoking to how much he should start the nicotine level. As for flavours last time I looked grown-ups have a taste palette too...
So you start somebody off let’s say 30 mg of nicotine then they go down to 25 to 20 etc as the weeks go bye. Then they have no nicotine. Yeah since they are off the nicotine then they quit and there are no side effects. He has gotten many people completely off of vaping. We had a nurse come in and cry because she had finally been able to completely stop everything. There will always be people that have no empathy or understanding of the matter. I will never support vaping as a permanent thing. But if used correctly, it is the safest alternative. As for Vape being around people? I think it should be done discreetly and away from people. And I don’t agree with “cloud chasers.” But that’s a different topic altogether.

SallyMarks Sun 11-Oct-20 19:04:20

Bluebellwould Sun 11-Oct-20 19:34:25

Wasn’t it just last year that there were reports of people dying from vaping. IMO lungs weren’t made for breathing in anything but air. Just look at the health problems caused by pollution. My husband died from colon cancer triggered by smoking between the ages of 16 to 40. None of it is good for you. In the thirties people cleaned their teeth with radium toothpaste, it was considered the largest healthy thing, until their jaws started to rot away. Perhaps vaping is the modern equivalent.

Bluebellwould Sun 11-Oct-20 19:34:57

Largest groan, latest.

lindseymorgan Thu 15-Oct-20 13:47:57