Gransnet forums

Chat

a thread about a thread ..really it is .

(6 Posts)
paddyann Fri 31-Aug-18 17:01:49

because I cant remember what the thread was called .
I told about a 5 gallon drum of bramble wine thats been sitting in my garage for 30 years and that I woouldn't taste in case it was "off"Today we took a sample to a homebrew shop and spoke to the very knowledgeable man .He tells us it has oxidised as all sherries do and if we mix it with a spirit we'll be surprised by the result .

And we are .After adding some brandy to the mix we have what smells and tastes exactly like the very good ,quite expensive Marsala that I buy to cook with.So thanks ladies for encouraging me to do something with it,although I think most said drink it .I think we'll bottle some and see what else we can mix in for a different result .

MawBroon Fri 31-Aug-18 17:04:04

Party round yours then Paddyann ?
5 gallons you say?
Might just about do grin

paddyann Fri 31-Aug-18 17:06:38

OH out picking brambles Maw he's recaught the bug .Might not leave this new batch quite as long and aim for a good red wine instead .

Greyduster Fri 31-Aug-18 17:08:41

I think, paddyann it was the same thread that I posted about the demijohn of ancient elderberry I couldn’t bear to pour away! Perhaps it is time to give that a new lease of life too! How much brandy did you put in?

paddyann Fri 31-Aug-18 17:11:24

Greyduster he said 2 teaspoons for every quarter cup but it might have been a wee bit more .The result is very welcome.Good luck with your elderberry .

phoenix Fri 31-Aug-18 23:23:16

Many years ago, when with my first husband, I used to make lots of different wines.

One particular batch of blackcurrant (not blackberry) ended up being converted into a sort of "port" by being fortified with some brandy, and a very little bit of either glycerin or liquid glucose (can't remember which blush) but was jolly nice!