Gransnet forums

Chat

Naked neighbours - what would you do?

(128 Posts)
crystaltipps Wed 05-Sep-18 17:22:39

A family I know live in a small terraced house which back sonto a similar row of terraced houses with small backyards. It’s an increasingly gentrified area and many of the residents have had loft and kitchen extensions and the like. One set of neighbours at the back have had their first floor bedroom extended over the kitchen with full length windows. The couple in this house have taken to appearing in the full length window in the nude at various times of the day and night. The families’ young children have had an eyeful several times! The mum is genuinely not happy about this and doesn’t want to see this show whilst the family are eating their breakfast. What would you do in this situation? go round and see the couple and tell them to cover up ? ( she doesn’t know them ) Keep the curtains drawn ? Just laugh it off?

PECS Sun 09-Sep-18 22:57:46

If the uninhibited neighbours can be seen from the kitchen then likely they can see into the kitchen so will probably know they are on display! That being a strong possibility there does seem to be an insensitivity to others . I am no prude, and human bodies, nakedness are fab in the right place /right time etc but really it would spoil my fruit and yogurt to see a stranger scratching his bollocks so early in the day! I would call round or drop a note in saying you are not sue if they are aware that the local residents are not prissy but prefer not to have a cabaret at breakfast and perhaps blinds , shutters or even frosted glass would stop the neighbours being distracted at breakfast!

Robinsong Sun 09-Sep-18 08:01:14

Perhaps they think the glass iS one way and don’t realise they can be seen

Lyndiloo Sat 08-Sep-18 02:33:25

If I were given this display every morning, I would pop an anonymous note through the door saying, "Please don't stand at your window naked every morning, it puts me off my cornflakes!"

We once had a man in our street who liked to walk around in the nude with his curtains open. I was unaware of this, as he lived on the same side of the street as I - until a friend, who lived opposite told me.

"Really? How awful for you!"

"Yes, it's disgusting - I have to stand on the bed to see him!"

grin

britnan Fri 07-Sep-18 21:59:24

What show offs! Venetian blinds would be my solution but I think people should have more consideration for others who may not enjoy seeing them naked.

SparklyGrandma Fri 07-Sep-18 21:57:09

I agree with MoNica. Don’t take a photo though, ask the police if willing, to come and view for themselves.

peaches50 Fri 07-Sep-18 14:41:44

long hose, cold water, full blast LOL

muffinthemoo Fri 07-Sep-18 13:53:01

I would email the local community policing team and say all I wanted was advice on the legality of the behaviour and what I should do to prevent my children seeing it. I would make clear I did not want them speaking to the neighbours at this point.

sandydown1 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:58:12

Chewbacca you have made my day, I love your reply.

Mumsyface Fri 07-Sep-18 12:18:36

Yes, me too always up for an interesting discussion. Other points of view interest me. ?

crystaltipps Fri 07-Sep-18 12:15:05

Just thought it was an interesting situation for discussion. All the threads on here are asking complete strangers for their thoughts aren’t they?

lilihu Fri 07-Sep-18 11:52:46

micmc47
“why on earth are you posting here to ask complete strangers what you should do? Daft...”
You may as well ask why does anyone ask any question on any forum! If someone would like advice, info or is canvassing opinions- isn’t that what these chat forums are for?

bikergran Fri 07-Sep-18 08:17:15

the "police" not place dohhh

bikergran Fri 07-Sep-18 08:16:51

I know of a person (male) who was seen at his window naked and was seen by a neighbour (not my neighbour) many many a years ago.the place were called by another neighbour (presumably across the road)an he was cautioned, he prob wasnt doing anything wrong just getting dressed .

loopyloo Fri 07-Sep-18 07:40:44

Plant a Leylandii tree, or a eucalyptus? Personally I would take a photo and write a polite note saying how viewable they are. If no response would contact a solicitor or the police.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Sep-18 05:51:34

Of course they are attention seeking they know they have an audience and can imagine the tut tuts and the giggling kids, if they don’t get any attention they will stop
Of course they are not serious naturists they are exhibitionists who want to shock but they can only shock if your friends keep looking and oohing and aahing
Just ignore for a bit
I live on a main road with a pavement running about 6 ft from my front window I don’t expect people not to look in its normal human curiosity to look so I use nets, but by some of your advice I would expect everyone going past to buy a neck brace so they can’t turn their heads to look in ?

GabriellaG Fri 07-Sep-18 04:10:51

That's nonsense.
I have no curtains, just shutters which I never close and my bedroom faces the road.
Very few people in this area have curtains, usually wooden shutters, the slats of which are often left open or completely up.
We don't gawp into other people's homes. shockgrin

starbird Thu 06-Sep-18 23:28:30

Local Planning Guidance Notes on house extensions:

“Where two habitable rooms face one another such that direct overlooking is likely to occur, the windows shall be a minimum of 22 metres apart”.

So are the back gardens both at least 11 metres long from the back wall of each house? (or their combined length is 22 metres).

HootyMcOwlface Thu 06-Sep-18 20:47:22

I like gillybob’s suggestion (on page2)!

Oh goodness me lindiann how do you sit on that without pants on, he’ll get sawn in half!

driverann Thu 06-Sep-18 20:33:11

As long as they are not doing anything indecent then so what. It’s not those who are naked I would worry about it’s the voyeurs.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 20:09:04

It really is no big deal.
I think that it is Cindersdad.
People who prefer to be nude in their own home away from the windows, people on nudist beaches or in other places where nudity is the norm is fine.

People standing at windows in front of the neighbours, in front of children, are, quite frankly, attention seeking nd likely to offend some others.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 20:06:45

sorry but how would I spot a lapsed naturist?
grin

Called Adam, eats apples and wears a fig leaf?

fluttERBY123 Thu 06-Sep-18 19:07:12

Outraging pub(l)ic decency? (sorry couldn't resist)

They would not get away with it in their front garden, so why in full view of neighbours otherwise?

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 18:54:35

There's a sort of agreement among genuine nudists to keep it to themselves.
I thought so too Aruna

I think that standing at a window in the nude in full view of other neighbours is being provocative, if not sexually so, especially if they know there are neighbours around with young children who could see them.
My DC delivered papers before school and apparently there was a man nearby who would parade around naked in his hall, which had a frosted glass front door and side window, when he knew that the paper girl would be arriving. The paper shop reported him to the police.

According to the law being a nudist in your own home is ok being an exhibitionist is not and if they stand near full length windows where they can be clearly see by people outside of their home especially minors is an offence.
Thank you N&G for that.

The nudists are the ones who should be putting up blinds, not the people in the houses opposite who do not want to see them.

lindiann Thu 06-Sep-18 18:30:34

Villager Jim Website

oldbatty Thu 06-Sep-18 18:10:35

sorry but how would I spot a lapsed naturist?