Gransnet forums

Chat

PMT at my age?

(18 Posts)
Nannyali Tue 11-Sep-18 09:50:48

Bijou my Doctor said tend to live longer not would definitely live longer if your periods finished later.

Lynne59 Tue 11-Sep-18 08:45:35

Nannyali.... I bet your husband can't believe his luck! Good on you.

Bijou Mon 10-Sep-18 22:41:18

I had my last period at the age of 46 and I am now 95 so finishing early late has nothing to do with length of life.
I never had any hot flushes.
My 58 year old home help who had a hysterectomy some years ago gets hot flushes.

pollyperkins Mon 10-Sep-18 18:50:50

As I understand it, it means removal of part of the internal tissue of the womb and is used to prevent heavy bleeding.

pollyperkins Mon 10-Sep-18 18:48:22

A 'scrape' probably means D&C (dialation & curettage) which I had after a miscarriage years ago.

Iam64 Mon 10-Sep-18 18:45:18

Best of luck Lynne - I can't resist saying your Fortunate in having a first GP appointment on 25 Sept. I phoned today, first GP appointment 8 October.

Reading this thread does slam home how much we women go through doesn't it.

Nannyali Mon 10-Sep-18 18:36:11

When they did stop I couldn’t believe it ! I have also not suffered with any menopausal symptoms in fact my sex drive is much higher than it has ever been . Poor husband looks haggard !!

Lynne59 Mon 10-Sep-18 18:09:15

Nannyali....62! You must have been massively relieved when all that stopped. Perhaps you'll live to be 120!

Lynne59 Mon 10-Sep-18 18:08:11

Thanks for all your replies. For the previous 6 years (up until last October), I'd had flooding, lasting for 3 months at a time, and was referred to a women's unit at the hospital - I've had scans, blood tests, womb biopsies (incredibly painful - I had 5 in total, and everything always came back as normal. I had a coil - got it taken out after 2 weeks as I had such a lot of pelvic pain with it. I'd been on Provera and Norethisterone, on and off, for 6 years.

I'm just hoping that the tender nipples, mood swings and tiredness don't mean the start of any periods.... I've got a GP appointment - 25th Sept., which is the earliest one available.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Sep-18 16:48:17

Niypt to sure about that one Nannyali I finished at 46 so should be gone by now by that reckoning ????

Nannyali Mon 10-Sep-18 16:05:47

My periods didn’t stop till I was 62 . I thought they would never end !! However my Doctor told me that people whose periods end later than usual tend to live longer !

Blacktabby2 Mon 10-Sep-18 15:39:55

Hi. I am 57. Up until April this year l had a 16 month period!! Prior to that l had not had a period for 2 years so thought l was through the menopause. After much pleading for help with the gp..l had a gynaecology appointment and had a scan..smear and biopsy of the endometrium. I was convinced it was cancer. But it wasn't! I have had 3 months no bleeding until today! I am seeing consultant again January. I am having to keep a diary. The answer will be a coil...but don't want that. I just want the menopause!!! I am 58 next month and had periods since l was 10 years old!!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Sep-18 14:46:14

D and C Sarah Dilate and cutterage ( not sure if I ve spelt that rightly) I also had one at the end of my periods but when I was 46 it completely stopped any problems and I never had even one symptom of menopause, no flushes no mood swings no tiredness no sweating absolutely nothing from the day after the op

grandtanteJE65 Mon 10-Sep-18 14:23:24

I too had one or two periods that only lasted a day, six months and a year after what I had imagined was my final one at the age of 56. There was nothing at all wrong, and my gynaecologist said this quite frequently happens, in the same way as girls can have tender nipples or spotting in the months leading up to their first period.

I do hope you have seen your doctor and that everything is all right.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 10-Sep-18 14:09:14

Lynne59 if this is of help?When after a year without a period, I was then 55 bordering 56 , it started again just the one but one was enough for me to make an appointment with my GP.I was lucky to get a quick referral to see a gyn'y who booked me in for what in those days we referred to as a ' scrape'?Don't know the medical name but it was not a hysterectomy as I was up and running in 48 hours. Nothing sinister fortunately and that mini op appeared to do the trick.

Lynne59 Sun 09-Sep-18 21:42:43

Thanks, paddyann. I'll try to get to see the GP next week.

paddyann Sun 09-Sep-18 21:35:40

I'm afraid so,maybe once its been a full year it might improve but check with your GP in case theres another cause .

Lynne59 Sun 09-Sep-18 21:13:54

Hello, Up until last October, I was still having periods (very problematic) and now I'm 59 and have been OK..... until the last week or so when I've been having what feels like PMT. Tired, very low mood, irritable (noise and a lot of talking get on my nerves). My nipples are also extremely tender, and I feel bloated.

Is it possible to have PMT/PMT at this stage in my life?