Gransnet forums

Chat

Big meeting at 9 am and haven’t been to sleep yet !

(42 Posts)
gillybob Thu 13-Sep-18 03:41:13

Just as the title says really . I have an important meeting at 9 am and I can’t sleep . My brain is on overdrive with worries and I’m pacing the floor . Considering just giving up, getting showered and going to work which is where I am really anyway . DH is working away (50 hours including travelling so far since Monday) . I’m not sure how much longer we can keep this up? This isn’t living .

MawBroon Sat 15-Sep-18 11:01:05

That sounds better Gillybob you have so much going on. You need all the rest you can get. Just reading about all you cope with makes me feel tired!
I am still waking up at (at best) 2 hourly intervals because of the pain in my shoulder and have almost come to dread going to bed sad
When I wake up I am too tired to read or listen to the radio or make myself a cup of tea. I cannot take more or stronger pain relief in the middle of the night (as I have taken it at bedtime!) but have requested Zopiclone(which I had after Paw died) to help me sleep through it. It must be to do with moving awkwardly in my sleep as it is bearable during the day.
Next week I am going to .contact an acupuncturist if my appointment for the cortisone injection doesn’t come through.
Onwards and upwards!

gillybob Sat 15-Sep-18 10:49:16

Well I slept well last night. I listened to music until the early hours then slept until after 8 am ! It’s easier in a Friday when I have the whole weekend in front of me but it all starts again on Sunday night (always a bad night) when I am kept awake worrying about the week to come.

You are not a “pain in the bum” at all oldbatty I would like to put the whole bloomin’ thing on the back burner and set fire to it , then I would sleep like a baby every night !

I’m glad you are feeling better and able to sleep now Comfy61 . I’m Interested to know if you wake up refreshed after taking the medication? I have to be able to get up, go to work, do school runs etc. With a clear head.

Comfy61 Sat 15-Sep-18 10:40:33

Been there too Gilly. Had so many stressors in my life that i couldnt sleep and nearly lost my mind. Was diagnosed with severe anxiety. Now taking half a tablet every night of Mirtazapine (Axit). Sleep like a baby. I know many people object to antidepressants but i would probably have lost my sanity without them.

oldbatty Fri 14-Sep-18 10:09:58

I know I'm a pain in the bum gilly but try to put them in some order or at least write them down.

There might be some you can put on the back burner. Also consider a few sessions with a therapist.

harrigran Fri 14-Sep-18 09:29:34

Pleased to hear you got some sleep gilly.
I did not sleep well on Wednesday night and was fairly tired last night. DS sent a message after midnight which kept me awake for hours so a second night of very little sleep.

gillybob Fri 14-Sep-18 09:14:13

I’m not sure I have a sheet of paper big enough oldbatty smile

Almost everything is work related. Worry about money, paying wages, bills, our huge overdraft, employment, people managing, fulfilling contracts, customers, accounts, legislation, legalities, long hours.......and everything else in between with no end in sight.

Then there’s the family worries which are too personal to discuss here on an open forum.

I think I need a magic wand or a miracle.....not sure either exists though.

oldbatty Fri 14-Sep-18 09:06:55

sorry if this sounds trite but could you make a list of whats not working out for you at the moment and maybe put them in rank order?

Sometimes its hard to see the wood for the trees.

Then tackle some of the problems.?

Bathsheba Fri 14-Sep-18 08:41:08

Oops sorry, I'm a day out! (note to self: read the whole thread!). Glad to see you had a better night last night. Try to have a relaxing weekend - sod the housework wink

gillybob Fri 14-Sep-18 08:39:10

Aaah I see Marelli we have the ECS cards (to prove competence in H&S) we don’t work on construction sites of any kind. When they are due to run out I just phone a training provider and get them booked in the take a refresher . I was getting confused with the training provider we are forced to use for our apprentice with those that provide “actual real” training courses. It’s important that these things are kept up to date isn’t it?
Such a shame that his contract is due to end, I do hope he gets something lined up soon, it’s such a worry.

Bathsheba Fri 14-Sep-18 08:39:09

Oh gilly poor you. I remember this so well - the more you need to sleep, the more you just lie there wide awake but exhausted. It still happens on occasion - if I'm to have the grandchildren for the day and they're being dropped off early for example.
Please don't just soldier on and try to get through the day - if you can, just get your head down as soon after the meeting as possible. It's unlikely you'll be able to be productive with no sleep anyway! Just get to bed ???

Marelli Fri 14-Sep-18 08:30:40

Glad you had a better night, Gillybob. DS's contract (dockyard) is coming to and end as there are no more ships on the offing. He needs to renew his Cscs card to ensure he's prepared for applying for new jobs in construction - which he is quite capable of doing by himself. I was in 'worry - mode' during the night.
Plugged my earphones in and listened to 'soft - rock' music. Like you say, Gilly, we worry about them whatever age they are. Hope your day at That Place is a pleasant er one than of late. Xx

gillybob Fri 14-Sep-18 07:51:18

I had a much better (but not great) nights sleep last night, I can’t say I woke up refreshed. But at least I got some which is the main thing.

So sorry to hear you had a bad night last night Marelli . I can’t see my troubles being settled any time soon but I’m not alone. Many of us have a lot to worry about, everything just seems a million times worse at 3 am doesn’t it? Is there a chance your son might be going to lose his job? Can he not still use the existing TP ?or isn’t there one? From experience I don’t have much faith in some of them, they just seem to tick boxes and offer little (if any) practical solutions, although maybe we have just been unlucky? I hope things turn out okay for him, we worry about them when they’re small and we are still worrying when they are adults.

A bit better thanks kitty . I managed to stay in bed most of the night and wasn’t pacing up and down like a caged bear like I was on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Off to “that place” to see what delights lie in store for today. One things for certain.....things can only get better... smile

Thank you again everyone x

kittylester Fri 14-Sep-18 07:03:56

How was last night *gilly?

Marelli Fri 14-Sep-18 04:54:09

Can't sleep and on here.... which is where I turn to during the night when I wake and can't get back to sleep.
Gilly, I hope you're having a better night and that your troubles have settled. I'm lying here with a not very good book, a cuppa and having been on the Internet trying to find a CSCS training provider (no, I don't work on a building site).
I woke up and started worrying about my son's job finishing - he can find his own training provider.... but then, he's not got the Internet just now....?
All, except joys, are magnified in the wee small hours. I hope you have a better day today, Gillybob. x

Newquay Fri 14-Sep-18 04:25:16

I so sympathise. . . I'm retired now but still spend many a night awake (as now!).
Ironically I'm now on holiday and still can't sleep properly despite busy days sightseeing and evenings playing cards.
I do have a combat nap after lunch.

gillybob Thu 13-Sep-18 23:06:58

Well lovely people , following a week + 2 from hell followed by 2 large glasses of Pinot (alone and sad) I suspect another bad night .

Yes I do have a lot of (mainly work) stress but my family come first as always grannyqueenie (thank you for remembering) . I try my best. What else can anyone do ?
Goodnight all x

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-Sep-18 23:00:53

I’ve just seen it too, gilly. I’m so sorry you’re going through it at the moment. Wishing you a good night’s sleep tonight and a happy outcome from your meeting.

grannyqueenie Thu 13-Sep-18 22:19:47

Sorry gillyb have only just seem this post. Sounds like you’re under a lot of stress and I remember from other posts that you’re a really good support to your family too. Hope at some stage you’re able to reconfigure things a bit to make life more manageable. Wishing you a better nights sleep, albeit wine induced, for tonight! x

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Sep-18 21:56:53

Hope all went well gillybob

wine - just one?
and sleep well

Luckygirl Thu 13-Sep-18 21:53:56

Cheers - and night night. smile

Willow500 Thu 13-Sep-18 20:47:06

Hope you have a better night - one glass won't hurt and might help you sleep!

gillybob Thu 13-Sep-18 16:43:27

Thank you everyone for such kind words. after a week from hell and a meeting that left me feeling like I'd been through a wringer I think I will have a glass of wine tonight. I know it's not ideal to drink on your own (DH is away) but at least I might sleep tonight.

Thank you again you lovely people. smile

nanaK54 Thu 13-Sep-18 13:26:19

Hope all went well with your meeting and that you sleep well tonight

Squiffy Thu 13-Sep-18 12:02:30

Only just caught up with GN today, but hope all went well for you at the meeting Gilly. Worries and stresses seem so overwhelming in the early hours, so I hope that you've come through the meeting unscathed.

harrigran Thu 13-Sep-18 09:19:51

Oh dear, s**s law, really need to get a good night but your mind wont switch off.
Hope everything goes well and you can relax later ?