Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me ........

(77 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 22-Sep-18 14:37:03

That thinks posting on FB a picture of a cake with Welcome Home on and a balloon with the same is a little OTT when it's for your 9 yr old who has been away on a school trip for 4 DAYS (3 nights)
I only saw this as a friend commented on it on FB. She was also very gushing about her "little man" and how she couldn't wait to snuggle on the sofa and watch a film with him. Yes she is married and they have 2 children.
It would be sad if she hadn't missed him but a bit much, don't you think ?
confusedconfused

NemosMum Mon 24-Sep-18 11:18:25

YUK! Silly woman! Amount of gush/virtue signalling on FB is inversely proportional to genuine emotion/philanthropy. They do it as a way of attracting attention to THEMSELVES! I have a relative like this, and said person is about as empathetic as Attila the Hun!

Apricity Mon 24-Sep-18 11:20:14

Yes OTT ( over the top) IMO but this gushy, very sentimental style of relationships especially with children seems to be the norm with lots of people these days. I am personally uncomfortable with it but it comes down to the basic questions of 'does it do harm?' I do wonder if it creates a false sense of what's important ( ie gushy words and emojis or loving, caring actions) or is it just another way of doing things. I really don't know. I sometimes feel as though I've accidently stumbled into a parallel universe.

Sheilasue Mon 24-Sep-18 11:20:20

Bit over the top if he gets a cake with welcome home on it.
My kids and my gc couldn’t wait to go and what adventures they had.
My gd been to Disney France twice and Florida Disney with her secondary school. It’s good for them to try new things

Willow10 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:27:12

I've never been a fan of FB either - I keep in touch by email, telephone and face to face. My adult grandaughters have told me about how nasty people can be to each other on it. And I don't understand why every little aspect of your life has to be on public display. I just wish some parents would switch off their phones and engage with their children and friends - in the real world!

Lilyflower Mon 24-Sep-18 11:38:59

It's what the OH calls 'demonstration parenting.'

moobox Mon 24-Sep-18 12:11:43

I would be asking him why his clean clothes were still in the bag and he was still wearing the underwear he left the house in

Juliet27 Mon 24-Sep-18 12:23:52

My son was due back from a school ski trip but I felt I had time to do a food shop before the coach arrived back at school. Wrong! When I arrived at school the coach was early and everyone had gone apart from my son who was sitting on his case still feeling ill from the seasickness he suffered crossing the Channel. I wish I hadn’t been reminded of that - I shall always feel such guilt.

Sookie Mon 24-Sep-18 12:42:49

I'm with you on the "little man" label. It is crazy that they call the people the love most "this one" or something similar grrr

mabon1 Mon 24-Sep-18 13:01:53

load of rubbish

Ruby41 Mon 24-Sep-18 13:11:43

Totally with Old Meg on this!

GabriellaG Mon 24-Sep-18 13:45:27

Sounds like a 'Look at me, aren't I just the most loving, thoughtful, marvellous mum EVER', kind of showangry

Brigidsdaughter Mon 24-Sep-18 14:21:16

Blue Belle ????

PamelaJ1 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:35:56

So many of them are the same. I couldn’t stand it so I defriended everyone, so no one was offended, and then only put the sensible ones back on. I now have 8 friends but of course I still see some of the gushers because they occasionally appear on the pages of my contacts.
I keep instructing them not to like or comment on anything
Can’t understand why they won’t obey ??

Happysexagenarian Mon 24-Sep-18 14:55:15

I gave up on FB and closed my account. I got fed up seeing the uninteresting minutae of people's lives posted in public day after day. Our AC and GC use FB all the time and are constantly reading and responding to comments. Sometimes they are upset by things people say. What is social / sociable about that! It can be a good way to keep in touch with distant friends and family, but there are other better ways too.

FlorenceFlower Mon 24-Sep-18 14:59:18

I think I would have loved it when I came back from Guide Camp or a school trip to have had my mother make a bit of a fuss about my return, with a cake etc, but (wonderful though she was in many ways) she was always very stoic about our comings and goings.

I also like seeing photos by some friends and relations on Facebook, great way to keep in touch, BUT I don’t get notifications from most people, I go onto their pages when I choose, and I don’t look at one or two of the gushier people! ?✅

crazyH Mon 24-Sep-18 15:14:19

I love FB only because it keeps me in touch with friends I haven't seen for 46 years when I left my homeland. I rarely post pictures of the family because I need permission every time so I don't bother, but I do like to see how my friends are doing and I pm them once in a while

Sandieanne Mon 24-Sep-18 16:13:22

Isnt this a great place to share. I sometimes think I am a bit odd as I am not gushy. I do appreciate that we are all different but I too sometimes think that this is all a look at my wonderful life scenario. Thank you all you make me feel normal

Nannyfrance Mon 24-Sep-18 16:14:36

NemosMum. I can only agree, as I know someone who is so selfish and arrogant she has fallen out with several family members, including her daughter, but appears to be so angelic when she posts on FB and gets annoyed if her new found FB friends fails to like her post or comment how wonderful she is. Very sad woman. I find FB messenger very useful though.

granzilla Mon 24-Sep-18 16:30:43

Oh my Lord!
What on earth did narcissists do before social media?
confused

DanniRae Mon 24-Sep-18 16:34:24

I joined FC but kept getting people I had never heard of wanting to befriend me (I think that's the right term) so I came out of it PDQ.
Gransnet is the only thing I am happy to belong to! grin

lemongrove Mon 24-Sep-18 16:53:40

I don’t go on it ( FB) but isn’t it all a bit like that? OTT.
All about letting the world ( your group) know what a great time you’re having, what marvellous things your children do etc.It’s weird.

BRedhead59 Mon 24-Sep-18 17:05:35

Agree- NfkDumpling -I use it in the same way as you but FB don't like that they want us to have lots of friends. If they don't shut up I'll be coming off for good like lots of other people. Why do companies always 'kill the golden goose'? As to the original question who cares - delete them or don't read it.

Nanny41 Mon 24-Sep-18 17:10:45

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my friends mainly in the UK, as I dont live there.I think putting certain things on Facebook, is as one other person said, a way of getting attention, and as for showing photos of children/Grandchilder on the phone constantly, also makes one wonder it there is only one Grandparent in this world, yes they have sad and boring lives.

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Sep-18 17:15:34

The couple of yuppies (is that word still current) who were in our group on holiday insisted they wanted to be FB friends. I waited a couple of months and then quietly un-friended them. They had hundreds of friends so I doubt they noticed and I’m unlikely to see them again. (FB does say it doesn’t tell them.). I’m very picky.

PamelaJ1 Mon 24-Sep-18 17:18:47

When I unfriended everyone I told them all but I don’t think they know if you just do it. I wouldn’t have bothered announcing it if I’d know that.