Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me ........

(77 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 22-Sep-18 14:37:03

That thinks posting on FB a picture of a cake with Welcome Home on and a balloon with the same is a little OTT when it's for your 9 yr old who has been away on a school trip for 4 DAYS (3 nights)
I only saw this as a friend commented on it on FB. She was also very gushing about her "little man" and how she couldn't wait to snuggle on the sofa and watch a film with him. Yes she is married and they have 2 children.
It would be sad if she hadn't missed him but a bit much, don't you think ?
confusedconfused

Mamar2 Tue 02-Oct-18 11:59:27

Rule 1....no-one EVER calls anyone 'stupid within my hearing distance!
Rule 2... why take a picture of food?

PECS Thu 27-Sep-18 13:51:35

Saw a woman today and her response to the toddler with her made me sad. She was carrying two heavy shopping bags, so appreciate it was not easy for her. But as,she approached a level crossing the toddler shouted to her, obviously wanting to hold her hand. She kept walking and just shouted at him ," What? , stupid" shaking a bag at him

TellNo1Ok Thu 27-Sep-18 13:01:26

When i was teaching i used to cringe when mums used to drop off their (mostly) sons saying "love you babe... miss you ... hugs all day" blowing kisses across the playground .. etc ad nauseam ... usually a bit late as well...
but i thought probably nicer than the mums who used to greet their child with "oh there you are you toe-rag... trouble today... you little wretch"...
Both OTT eh...

Msoz Wed 26-Sep-18 10:57:20

Says more about her than the child, she obviously is quite needy and maybe competitive... sure child is embarrassed.. being loved is important, and how we show it to our family members varies... but this smacks of “ me me me mee “ its-all about her...

Msoz Wed 26-Sep-18 10:53:55

Yep, my boys said the same, we said good bye and left them to it, they are grown up now, independent but loving boys. Kids need to know they are lovd... they dont need extravagent cakes and sparklers...

PECS Wed 26-Sep-18 10:28:44

post not pist! blush

PECS Wed 26-Sep-18 10:27:59

The world / society may change the "how" but people are people and there have always been those who love to self promote ..for different reasons, those who prefer to keep themselves to themselves. I have great friends who cannot understand why I would ever pist on GN..they think I am a bit sad to do so! I don't care abd still love them..we are all wonderfully different!

SparklyGrandma Wed 26-Sep-18 02:16:19

BBevan snap, lol. What an enterprising friend your son had.

Greatview Wed 26-Sep-18 01:41:11

Spot on !!!

Greatview Wed 26-Sep-18 01:39:29

Spot on Florenceflower......

Bekind Wed 26-Sep-18 00:46:58

How about all the #s on Instagram???? #cutiepatootie, #brothers, # model, etc... ???????

Harris27 Tue 25-Sep-18 17:44:48

If hate fb I work with younger crowd and some if the things they tell me they e read is just unbeleivable . I know it's a good way of keeping in touch but really!

Fedupgran Tue 25-Sep-18 15:27:41

I'm afraid this isn't unusual theses days ! Some mothers are smotherers ! They don't do the children any favours by turning them into mini member's !

Purpledaffodil Tue 25-Sep-18 14:37:42

And don’t get me started on the posts written in the first person by the dog/child substitute eg “Mummy and I had a really long walk today”?

MagicWriter2016 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:48:36

The posts that confuse me the most are the ones wishing my darling daughter/son/grandchild etc a happy birthday when there is little or no chance of them being able to see/read it because they are too young. And if they are not to young, just tell them, not the world lol!

Aepgirl Tue 25-Sep-18 10:52:04

I think this would be really embarrassing for the child, as his friends would see all this gushing business. Why can't people keep their feelings for those who they are meant for, instead of proving to the world their feelings of love and affection.

BBbevan Tue 25-Sep-18 09:22:37

sparkly I recognise that one! DS went on a school trip to Cornwall. He came back in what he went in. All other clothes still neatly packed.
He went on a school trip to Russia when in the 6th. form. His friend sold all his 'designer' clothes to the pupils at the host school. Came back with just the clothes he had on.

Grannyguitar Tue 25-Sep-18 09:03:37

Virtue signalling - look, look, I'm such a loving mother!

pinkprincess Tue 25-Sep-18 00:07:01

I have a relative who is addicted to Facebook. Every detail of her life is laid bare. Every day.

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Sep-18 23:22:48

It was ever thus, though it gets a bigger audience now that it's all over social media. Thirty years ago I was waiting to pick my girls up after a week-long camp and mothers were competing with their tales of how much they'd missed their offspring. Culminating in one claiming that she'd kept going into her daughter's bedroom all week "to look at her little empty bed" and have a weep. grin

SparklyGrandma Mon 24-Sep-18 22:57:03

My son was on one school trip and when he came home he had NOT changed his underwear for 5 days and smelt like wet dog...happy as Larry though.

Ps his ironed clean underwear were all still neatly folded in his bag.

Hm999 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:41:20

Having taken 11yr-olds away, who sobbed the first night, because they'd never been away from family before, perhaps the run-up to the trip was a bit more traumatic than the outside world realised!

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Sep-18 22:21:37

I do put on a few holiday snaps to save my friends having to look at all of them. But only when I’m safely home. It’s common sense. I have thought about starting a new FB page using a pseudonym just for friends.

Pat1949 Mon 24-Sep-18 21:29:52

Yes, some people do go ott on FB. It’s as though they have to prove to the world how their child is wonderful and they are the best mother in the world. I know it’s going off the subject slightly but I can’t understand why people have to broadcast that they are on a wonderful holiday and their home is empty. Just asking for trouble.

rosyposy50 Mon 24-Sep-18 20:12:11

Each to their own. I think people should do what makes them happy as long as it doesn’t harm anyone. It’s their business.