Gransnet forums

Chat

Need a hug!

(88 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:34:54

I have been widowed for several years and have, I think, coped well alone (no family), but over the last few weeks I have found myself longing for someone to just give me a hug -a need for physical contact. My friends are not "huggers" and I would feel uncomfortable mentioning it to them.

Lisalou Wed 26-Sep-18 05:48:04

Aw, huge hugs, oldwoman. I know the huggless feeling. Husband is currently suffering from horrible shoulder pain and is not feeling very well, hence huglessness around here.

Willow10 Wed 26-Sep-18 07:41:54

I know just what you mean, I really miss that physical contact too. I so enjoy that lovely hug I get when I do see my two sons and my daughter in law gives the best hugs ever. Sending one to you.

sue01 Wed 26-Sep-18 11:04:48

And from me xx

SaraC Wed 26-Sep-18 11:11:39

Being ‘touch deprived’ really sucks doesn’t it? Ever though of getting a rescue cat? Could be a mutually beneficial solution?

Nonnie Wed 26-Sep-18 11:22:05

How about organising a Gn meet up? Then you could get hugs from all the Gners in your area?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Sep-18 11:25:40

Here's a hug from me too. It's the lack of physical presence that gets you, don't you think? Lots of support on here.

Purplepoppies Wed 26-Sep-18 11:30:45

I relate entirely and I'm sending you a warm heartfelt hug ((((( )))))) xxx

sweetcakes Wed 26-Sep-18 11:32:57

I like the teddy idea ? Big hug from me (((((( hug)))))) ?

Kathjohn32 Wed 26-Sep-18 11:38:29

Another big, warm hug from me x

dani4 Wed 26-Sep-18 11:44:35

Gigantic hugs from me too (((((((HUGS)))))))

LuckyFour Wed 26-Sep-18 11:49:48

Oldwoman, Have a look at the gransnet page for meetups. You may be able to find some friends in your area who might also like a hug occasionally. Are your sure your present friends wouldn't understand your need for a hug, they may actually need one themselves but don't like to say.

GrandmaCornwall Wed 26-Sep-18 11:52:03

Sending you a hug from Cornwall

Urmstongran Wed 26-Sep-18 11:53:05

Oh bless you! A big hug from me too. As regards physical contact (in a good way) what about booking a relaxing facial or a shoulder/back massage?

GabriellaG Wed 26-Sep-18 11:53:43

I don't hug friends much but I do with my children and OH (who doesn't live with me)
My mum wasn't a hugger but that was due to her convent upbringing.
She used to 'tighten up' and freeze if you put your arm around her and she'd say 'don't be daft'.
I have a huggy dog and a tiny golliwog. Golly travels with me everywhere. My lucky charm. grin

Tamayra Wed 26-Sep-18 11:54:31

Hugs coming your way ???
Perhaps a nice massage might help
Why don’t you treat yourself to one smile

farmgran Wed 26-Sep-18 12:13:11

A big huggy hug from me xx

Sugarpufffairy Wed 26-Sep-18 12:26:25

Big hug from me too. I am just the same. My DC are so good at acting the hard guys they forget to be human x

mumagain Wed 26-Sep-18 12:39:28

Do you have an old jumper , dressing gown or anything of your partner still ? If so wrap it round you , close your eyes and dream . Failing this, did he wear a particular aftershave ? spray it on a pillow and hug the pillow.

Lolol Wed 26-Sep-18 12:50:25

Give one of your friends a hug. They may have wanted to hug you for ages! They may well love it and you may start a trend. If they don't like it bluff your way out by saying " sorry I always hug xxxxx or I thought you looked like you needed cheering up. I hug everyone and nobody has reacted badly. A huge hug from me.

NannyG123 Wed 26-Sep-18 12:55:10

Sending hugs oldwoman70.

Craftycat Wed 26-Sep-18 12:56:35

Huge hug for you. We all need one at times. Lots of love to you. Xx

BPJ Wed 26-Sep-18 13:02:25

And one from Grandpa Joe

margie303 Wed 26-Sep-18 13:24:17

Im in the same situation as you are and feel the same. Being a widow is hard and even when the acute grief is past theres still so many areas of our lives that feel empty. The lack of physical touch is incredibly painful and drags me down as well. Also the loss of being related to as a woman is hard. I dont have any answers apart from reassuring you that you arent alone in this

minxie Wed 26-Sep-18 13:54:50

Double ((((hugs)))) xxx

Stansgran Wed 26-Sep-18 13:56:56

Sending a hug but second a massage. Was in John Lewis yesterday and was dealing with DH who doesn't cope with big shops. Sent him off on his errand and agreed to meet up at Waitrose . I had borrowed the chair by the Clarins stand for my shopping bag and the lady there said would I like a massage. So I had a free neck and shoulder massage in public! But I could choose calming or invigorating and because we had spent the morning dealing with our wills and poa I chose calming. The Clarins lady also offered me money off for a massage in their spa which I intend to take up. My lovely local beautician goes into an oak home and gives hand massages as she says many of them have no famil to hold their hand.