Gransnet forums

Chat

Need a hug!

(88 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:34:54

I have been widowed for several years and have, I think, coped well alone (no family), but over the last few weeks I have found myself longing for someone to just give me a hug -a need for physical contact. My friends are not "huggers" and I would feel uncomfortable mentioning it to them.

JuneS Thu 27-Sep-18 10:19:33

A great big hug from me too. I know exactly how you feel as you are repeating what I said to someone last week. I lost my husband just over 2yrs ago and miss his hugs which nothing can replace. It's not about being comfortable but about being loved. Take care xx

Smileless2012 Thu 27-Sep-18 18:27:42

A BIG hug from me to youflowers

BellaBoffin Thu 27-Sep-18 20:14:05

Time to think about a 'boyfriend'! There are some really lovely men (in a similar situation to yourself) out there. You are too young not to have the cuddle you crave. It will take a little nerve but start by some modest flirting, nothing more than being just a tad more friendly...and ask questions. Men love being asked about themselves!

annep Thu 27-Sep-18 20:47:51

I think I personally would prefer to make friends by joining clubs classes etc and if a special friendship develops with someone take it from there. I wouldn't want to feel needy or dependent on someone. But that's just me.?

MissAdventure Thu 27-Sep-18 21:23:53

I miss a man cuddle.
I dont miss having to make sure it stays at 'just a cuddle' grin

annep Thu 27-Sep-18 21:44:46

Good point MissAdventure! ?

Kateclark123456789 Fri 28-Sep-18 11:57:35

Hello everyone!
I am new to this website and wasn't too sure where to post this message. I am married with a lovely paramedic husband, a 6 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. My background is in teaching. My husband has no parents and although I do, mine spend most of their time holidaying abroad. We would dearly love to 'adopt a grandma or grandparents'. We could so do with some support right now, especially as my leg is in a plaster cast!
Would anyone like to adopt a family who has lots of love and cuddles to offer in return (that would benefit everyone!!). I would love to have an extended family. I'm sure an entrepreneur could sort out a website to help match families and older people!
We live in Rushden, Northamptonshire.
Look forward to hear from anyone who would like to get in touch!
Best wishes Kate x

BellaBoffin Fri 28-Sep-18 12:56:54

Dear Kate......I wish we lived closer together (I am in Glos...) My husband died two years ago, I have recently retired, and I have time and love to spare. My own family could do with an injection of fresh perspectives as well......ummmm....you have given me food for thought......BBx

Kateclark123456789 Fri 28-Sep-18 16:04:09

Thank you for your kind words!!

Granless Sat 29-Sep-18 18:33:24

Loneliness probably also encompasses lack of human contact meaning no hugs. I only said to my husband recently that I would love to be a ‘grannie’ to maybe a single parent who struggles. I thought for some time that Gransnet could be a way of getting lonely people together. If you say where you live you would maybe get a response and start by emailing. Having said all that am hoping that I haven’t opened a can of worms re ‘safety’ online. ?

Kateclark123456789 Sun 30-Sep-18 18:16:26

Well if there are any lovely people out there who want to 'adopt' my family - just let me know any perhaps we can exchange some details. I think we all do need to be careful about 'safety online'. Tricky, isn't it!!

SusanBetts Mon 01-Oct-18 19:45:26

Here's a HUG for you! Remember, it's not bad to talk and ask someone's help when needed. You may also want to have a pet with you that can be with you anytime. smile