Gransnet forums

Chat

Afternoon nap

(52 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 25-Sep-18 16:20:58

No, not just the nodding off on front of Escape to the Country or Bergerac, this was a full blown lie down on the bed nap.
I have just got up after an hour and a half and it was wonderful.
I had an excellent night’s sleep last night thank you Nytol) and wonder whether maybe that hadn’t quite worn off, but oh my goodness I feel so much more rested now.
What on earth do babies and toddlers complain about? ? ? smile

Juggernaut Wed 26-Sep-18 16:23:30

I never sleep during the day, but often nod off on the sofa at about 9-15pm! As a matter of routine I always set SKY to record whatever I'm watching, so if I fall asleep, I can see the end of the programme when I wake up!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 26-Sep-18 16:32:02

Just love an afternoon nap. In the winter or colder days I take a hot water bottle to bed for my aches and pains, curl up under the duvet and sleep. On warm sunny days I just lie on top of the bed, window open book in hand and can fall asleep within minutes. Bliss.

Beau Wed 26-Sep-18 16:40:55

I loved my afternoon nap during my 'gap year' between retiring and becoming a 'granny nanny' - now it's a distant memory and as I get up at 5.30 7 days a week, I could happily nap at any point ?
When I occasionally manage a weekend back home I find it hard to do anything except nap ?
(Even worse, this morning I got up at 4.30 accidentally - so tired I read the clock wrongly ?

teabagwoman Wed 26-Sep-18 17:32:49

Beau I take my hat off to you. Don’t know how you manage it, I certainly couldn’t. I would love to be able to nap during the day but no matter how tired I feel I don’t seem to be able to fall asleep. I’ll try listening to a meditation on UTube and see if that works.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:06:01

Didn't Margaret Thatcher swear by the 20minute "power nap". Not that any of us are anything like MT in any other way of course!

annep Thu 27-Sep-18 01:38:43

Oh you lucky things. I can't nap! My husband can say I'm having a nap and 5 seconds later he's asleep. Not fair!

GabriellaG Thu 27-Sep-18 03:39:24

I had a 3pm 'appointment' at Waitrose but at the self service checkout, realised that I didn't remember the sequence of the pin with my new card (new bank)
Long story short, I had to leave shopping, walk home and back and home again, only a few hundred yards but, after putting shopping away, I showered and changed into sleepwear. Sunny bedroom, yogurt and book beckoned...I woke up at 02.40...hence typing a comment at this ungodly hour.
Still, retirement has lots of advantages. grin

annep Thu 27-Sep-18 08:47:15

You needed a rest after all that GabriellaG.

mabon1 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:45:42

Often have a nap on the bed for about three quarters of an hour, great, feel much better for it.

Gma29 Thu 27-Sep-18 13:44:54

I really try and avoid a doze in the afternoon, as unless it’s very short, (around 15 minutes) I feel dreadful. Sometimes though, I just go.....

Auntieflo Thu 27-Sep-18 15:52:56

I've just had 30 mins, feel so much better. It doesn't seem to affect my sleeping at night. We had been out to lunch, and when I came to, felt the urge to bake muffins. Lemon and poppyseed are in the oven right now. I will take some to my new-ish neighbour and some to another kind neighbour who gave us a length of green screening mesh for the garden. Maybe I will keep two and we can have them later.

Sheilasue Thu 27-Sep-18 16:18:36

My dh always has an afternoon nap. I can’t always makes me feel sick.

Grandmama Thu 27-Sep-18 18:39:23

We lived with my maternal grandparents until I was three after which my mother and I sometimes went over to stay with them in the school holidays. I vaguely remember afternoon 'lie-downs' by my mother and grandmother, probably from about 1.30 (after washing up) to about 3pm. In her later years (she died in her early 60s), unless I was taking my mother out for a run in the car, she would go for a lie-down.

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Sep-18 19:39:49

We blamed our conservatory. Have lunch, sit down on sofas with coffee and wake half an hour later to cold coffee. We thought things would change when we had a solid roof put on, but no, that darned room is still sending us both to sleep. It can’t be our age - can it?

fluttERBY123 Thu 27-Sep-18 22:49:38

I usually have a doze after lunch as opposed to a nap. I have to sit up in armchair for this as if I lie down I go fast asleep for a couple of hours , feel dreadful for the rest of the day and can't sleep at night.

MissAdventure Thu 27-Sep-18 22:54:54

I haven't mastered the art of a power nap.
I usually sleep for hours, wake up dribbling and not knowing where I am.

Beau Thu 27-Sep-18 23:08:33

? Miss A

MagicWriter2016 Thu 27-Sep-18 23:15:15

I love a nap during the day. If I lay on the sofa I only nap for an hour or so, but if I go to lie on the bed, I usually end up getting in it, then I would probably sleep until the next day if my hubby doesn’t wake me up. I either have great trouble sleeping or I ‘marathon’ sleep. During those types of sleep you could put a bomb under me and I would not hear it!

annep Fri 28-Sep-18 05:23:00

5.30 every morning Beau!!
What time you retire?

Beau Fri 28-Sep-18 07:49:44

It's because I need to see to my 2 cats before DGS wakes up between 6 and 6.30 - I also empty DD dishwasher before they wake up. When I move into my granny annexe soon I hope to have a lie in until 6 some days as I have a cat flap built into the patio doors ?
Weekends tbh I did not expect to still be on nanny duty at 6am but DD and SIL are tired after their working week so I feel I have to step in - I won't pretend I'm not permanently exhausted ?

Beau Fri 28-Sep-18 07:53:49

Go to bed around 10 but sometimes up in the night with the baby too, especially lately.

annep Fri 28-Sep-18 08:31:55

I'm left quite speechless. I'm afraid I couldn't do all that. You must be a very young very considerate granny. I hope you get a holiday Beau.

Greyduster Fri 28-Sep-18 09:00:11

I can’t deliberately nap in the afternoon, though, like others, I have fallen asleep on my recliner in the warm conservatory. Throughout my early childhood, my father’s habit was to have a Sunday afternoon nap. He would go up shortly after lunch and get up for tea. I rather resented this as I thought he should be spending his time running round with me, but then I didn’t appreciate the fact that older fathers needed to conserve their energies for working! We have a friend who would visit us and almost invariably fell asleep after lunch. We were always happy to let him, but his wife was very embarrassed by it.

annep Fri 28-Sep-18 09:41:55

Hello Beau. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but you do that seven days a week. Is that not too much?

Beau Fri 28-Sep-18 10:10:03

Annep, he does go to nursery 2 days per week now but I still have to be 'on duty' early mornings to get him dressed etc. on those days. I think that's how I ended up doing so much at weekends - they think I have 2 days off but in reality I do everything else that needs doing in those 2 days he's at nursery. Yes it is too much really but it's now a catch 22 situation for reasons I can't really go into. ?