Gransnet forums

Chat

Devon

(11 Posts)
seacliff Sun 30-Sep-18 16:33:40

I used to live near Barnstaple, and now live in North Suffolk. Just a few things to be aware of down there. It's very green and lush because it rains an awful lot! especially compared with dry old East Anglia.

The main shopping areas for a big department stores type shopping trip are in south Devon, Exeter or Plymouth, so quite a long drive, or train journey. It's a long while since I was there so there may be some new centres now, similar to Lakeside?.

In summer the roads are full of holidaymakers. It's hard to get anywhere fast. They also clog up the shops and pubs etc.

We found that friends and family were all wanting to come and stay, for a holiday, which is lovely, especially when you're retired. It is a long drive back to the south if you still have friends or family you want to visit.

Having said all that, it is such a beautiful area, and I found the people friendly and warm. I used to love walking on the beach in winter.

lemongrove Sun 30-Sep-18 16:17:53

The areas you mention are near Barnstaple but are very built up, not really like villages but are flat, which may be an advantage for you, with regular buses through.
North Devon is lovely, and the people are friendly too.
All the services you need ( plumbers etc) were so much cheaper than where I live now.
If you need the hospital in Barnstaple it’s a very good one, and there is (was) a small hospital in Bideford.

Effie56 Sun 30-Sep-18 13:52:12

Hi Phoenix
How do you find life in North Devon would you recommend it. Although I love the countryside we want to be near to amenities and hospital etc that’s why we have been thinking of Barnstaple and Bideford areas perhaps Bickington or Fremington if anyone knows those areas.

phoenix Sat 29-Sep-18 21:52:53

I live in North Devon!

ninathenana Sat 29-Sep-18 21:45:55

Eglantine I though the same.

We have beach walks near us in Kent but I have always fancied living in Devon. Slower paced than round here and such beautiful scenery.

Effie56 Sat 29-Sep-18 21:18:39

Thank you for your replies.
We don’t have any family that way but have had lots of lovely holidays in Weatward Ho and Saunton Sands both of which have lovely flat long beaches to walk along. Always felt at home in that area will probably try and rent for 6 months to have a good look around . Have one son who lives abroad and one here where we live now both say if you have a dream go for it life can be too short for some people.

lemongrove Sat 29-Sep-18 20:49:17

Know it well Effie56 and would return there if at all possible.
Base yourself around Bideford if you can.All the amenities and only 20 mins journey into Barnstaple.Plenty of pretty villages around too.
Great Torrington is another lovely little town with all your day to day needs.
Go and look around and think what you need from your life there before deciding.Good luck.

DoraMarr Sat 29-Sep-18 18:45:50

Have you got family or friends in Devon?

Eglantine21 Sat 29-Sep-18 18:31:02

Bit puzzled. If you want long walks along beaches surely East Anglia is the place for that. Devon beaches tend to be quite limited by comparison don’t they?

You can walk the coastal path if you’re happy to go up and down a lot!

It’s more scenic but much wetter! Invest in waterproofs. grin

Grannyknot Sat 29-Sep-18 17:43:19

Hi effie I've never lived in North Devon but we've just come back from a very relaxing few days in Devon.

Barnstaple is a nice town, lots going on, we liked it. We visited friends who have retired to Filleigh, a small village near Barnstaple and also near South Molton. They are very happy there. I was sorry that we didn't have more time to spend in South Molton.

Woollacombe is also really lovely, we had a posh meal out at the Watersmeet Hotel overlooking the ocean with the best sunset I have seen in a long time.

We had a day trip to Lynton and Lynmouth very pretty and relaxing. We had a long walk on the beach at Croyde and walked part of the SW Coastal path from Lynton.

I hope someone who knows more about it than I do comes along for a chat ... smile

Effie56 Sat 29-Sep-18 13:32:34

Recently myself and husband have retired and we are thinking of making the move from East Anglia to North Devon possibily near to Barnstaple. Can anyone living that way recommend life for the retired down in that area. We are looking forward to long walks along the lovely beaches. ?