Gransnet forums

Chat

New grandma

(31 Posts)
Feminas Mon 01-Oct-18 17:19:21

I’m a new grandma of a beautiful baby boy. My daughter and son in law both work and I agreed to watch the baby, instead of outside childcare. I’m having unbelievable anxiety, fear about the what if’s. I’m waking up with a knot in my stomach and palpitations. Is anyone else feelinglike this?

melp1 Thu 04-Oct-18 20:05:25

Congratulations!
Had all 4 of mine from 6 months for 1 - 2 days a week (1 at a time) Even had 2 toddlers for a week whist parents went away.
It'll all come back to you don't worry just enjoy, they grow up so quickly.
My youngest grandaughter is now 8 so don't think they'll be anymore additions.
Oh well have to wait for the greatgrandchildren.

justwokeup Thu 04-Oct-18 20:39:41

I would just say allow yourself more time for everything, even more than is normal with a new baby. Grandmas often don't move so speedily as mothers, I find. Not a problem though as babies don't mind. grin

Do make sure you have as much help/rest as you can get. If you're truly worried about DGS, arrange to do a baby first aid course. They usually run at weekends too. Have a lovely time. What a treat to look after him.

Magrithea Fri 05-Oct-18 09:41:00

Congratulations! I presume you're not going to be looking after him until Mum goes back to work? So he won't be teeny tiny. They're very adaptable and you'll remember what to do. The worrying thing is 'what would Mum do'? I try and follow my DD's rules although DH is not so good when 'on duty' grin. If in doubt ask what Mum and Dad do or would like you to do

Aepgirl Fri 05-Oct-18 11:41:13

Just remember how tough babies are, and that telephones are wonderful! Enjoy your special time with the baby.

LMT49 Fri 05-Oct-18 16:03:19

This all sounds wonderful and I am very envious of you all. I have a 15 month old grandson who I think the world of, who we see approximately every 2-3 weeks for a few hours when he, my son and daughter-in-law come over to Sunday lunch. DGS has unfortunately suffered a number of allergies and sensitivities to various foods, leading to many drs/dietician/hospital appointments - he suffered greatly from reflux, GORD etc for several months. It also took until he was a year old before he got into a good sleeping routine so they had loads of sleepless nights etc. The problem for me is that I am longing to be able to help out from time to time by babysitting but so far have only had 2 hours of being alone with him. He started nursery 3 months ago, again I was ready and willing to help out but DDIL preferred to have him at nursery for the 3 days a week that she is at work. I am trying so hard not to feel hurt by this, but find it hard to come to any other conclusion than that she doesn’t trust me to care for him. I am very fond of her, we get on well and she really tries to arrange for me to see him in-between times, we go out shopping etc (at her suggestion) so I don’t think she dislikes me. She has a very difficult relationship with her mother, not sure if this is relevant at all....sorry for long post, just wondering what anyone thinks about it ?. By the way, I have a very good relationship with my son who keeps telling me she’s just not quite ready yet...