Gransnet forums

Chat

A bridge too far ...?

(112 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 05-Oct-18 08:25:09

I'm aware that younger women (so my daughter tells me), emboldened by the growing movement of e.g. I'm a woman [and I have periods/have PMS] get over it will now walk through an open plan office and stop en route to the loo for a desk chat, openly clutching a tampon or carrying a purse that clearly contains sanitary towels. So far, so progressive.

But I've just read an article where a smartly dressed not-so-old but older woman is praised for doing similar by "sitting on the Tube with her pack of Tena proudly on display in the top of her shopping bag".

Somehow, for me that's a bridge too far.

Would you do that? (if you were a Tena Lady of course).

It sort of made me think, where will it all end?

MissAdventure Fri 05-Oct-18 08:32:39

I do think its a bridge too far!
Some things are personal.
I bought a huge pack of toilet rolls a few weeks back, and felt quite embarrassed as I bashed everyone on the crowded bus with them. blush
We all know about body functions, but I see nothing to be proud of.
They just 'are'.

harrigran Fri 05-Oct-18 08:36:50

No I would not. I dislike that some are 'in your face' with things I prefer to keep private.

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 08:38:55

Agree with the above comments.Sometimes the ‘let it all hang out’ philosophy gets a bit ridiculous!

MawBroon Fri 05-Oct-18 08:46:06

Made me smile.
Would a person similarly walk through a public space clutching a wad of Andrex?

I admit to a “double take” at a single Allways pad in its wrapping glimpsed on a dashboard recently.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Oct-18 08:51:35

I don't see a problem with it - I would not see it as a particular "statement" and if done for that reason it seems a bit silly; but if you are on a bus with a shopping bag and your pads happen to be visible, then who cares? You would not be embarrassed to have babies' nappies visible.

The Tesco man often takes my pads out of the crates and plonks them on the kitchen table along with all the rest - no problem for me, or apparently for him.

It is just life.

Grannyknot Fri 05-Oct-18 08:58:00

I agree re doing things to make a statement (and I also think that is often the motivation e.g. carrying your tampon openly to the loo (fine, part of life) but then why stop for a chat? (to make a statement).

But then ... we don't all walk around farting away, do we? That's part of life too.

Poppyred Fri 05-Oct-18 09:06:30

I don’t like the bladder weakness adds on telly. Men have bladder problems too, but you never see one advertising Tenna. Why?

annsixty Fri 05-Oct-18 09:10:16

Definitely a step too far for me.
We need some discretion in life.
It is like people using the loo in front of their partners, somethings need privacy.

Teetime Fri 05-Oct-18 09:12:58

It just seems so unnecessary, who does it benefit. My mother would have been mortified to have a toilet rolls on the tope of her shopping bag and ST's had too be put in a brown paper bag and then another bag. That seems silly but waving them about like a flag, pointless.

Agus Fri 05-Oct-18 09:15:26

Having any of the above items on show doesn’t actually prove you are a woman does it?

Anyone who dresses and looks like a woman can do the same so not the best example to prove gender IMO

What’s next......chromosome ID tattoos ? on show of course.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Oct-18 09:16:01

Sometimes we have no choice but for me to be with partner in loo - we just take it in our stride.

I think it is refreshing to see the Tena and Allways ads on TV. I guess the preponderance of women in these reflects the facts of what pushing babies out can do!

I don't have a problem with someone openly taking a tampon to the loo, nor stopping for a chat - what are they supposed to do if someone speaks to them? - ignore them?

I welcome the ending of the twee secretiveness about periods and weak bladders. Hopefully it will hep to make things easier for young girls in school.

merlotgran Fri 05-Oct-18 09:21:14

Isn't it just a matter of self respect to keep some things private? Everyone knows women have periods before the menopause. Thanks to TV advertising, pads have improved to the point that women are far more liberated and confident when menstruating. Not like the old days!

Same goes for bladder weakness pads. If somebody has a problem with occasional incontinence that's their affair. I don't want to know if they have haemorrhoids or IBS either.

I suppose it's yet another case of, 'If you've got it, flaunt it!' hmm

Ilovecheese Fri 05-Oct-18 09:36:28

Tena for men is advertised

oldbatty Fri 05-Oct-18 09:42:55

Why can't Tena adverts show an overweight ,huffing ,puffing woman dressed in ill fitting sweaty clothes running to visit relatives in a care home, before going home to take off her bra and crash out in front of the telly with a bottle of wine and a giant packet of Doritos?

merlotgran Fri 05-Oct-18 09:48:29

grin oldbatty

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Oct-18 09:52:56

we don't all walk around farting away, do we? That's part of life too.

Sssh, Grannyknot, you’ll be giving people ideas!

Though I think some folk I know are already on board with this one. grin

Poppyred Fri 05-Oct-18 09:57:46

I haven’t seen the Tena for men advert? The other one is ‘In your face’ all the time ....

Grannyknot Fri 05-Oct-18 10:08:48

oldbatty amd maggie grin

GillT57 Fri 05-Oct-18 10:11:34

oldbatty have you been spying on me?

Theoddbird Fri 05-Oct-18 10:18:00

I live on a boat and have to empty the toilet cassette (errrr...it contains what goes into the toilet). Anyway I often have a chat with someone on the way. We know what we are carrying...hahaha...and think nothing of it. Tenna ladies though...I would be embarrassed having those in my hand while having a conversation....

Luckygirl Fri 05-Oct-18 10:25:41

I had a lifetime of IBS and had no problem with popping into shops to ask to use the toilet - it was preferable to the alternative! shock

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Oct-18 10:27:29

When I went shopping for my mother to the local shop, if she needed STs, I asked her to write a note I could pass over the counter. Not only did it say what was required but, asked for the packet to be put discreetly in a brown paper bag before handing it over.

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Oct-18 10:29:01

Mentioning the adverts, do we all have to be blue-blooded aristocrats to use the product?

Ladyinspain Fri 05-Oct-18 10:36:09

Due to herniated discs in my back- there is pressure on my bladder and I JUST make it to loo in time! BUT I now have a dilemma, my Dr has prescribed LADY NAPPIES!!! Noooo! I am too embarassed to actually go into the chemist to claim them-and I need my other meds that are on the prescription! I'm tempted to feign "Mistake! they aren't for me"! I don't actually need them that much!