Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal clothing!

(135 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:36:10

Anyone else feeling somewhat uncomfortable/irritated/slightly shocked at the ridiculous cost of recent outfits worn by Meghan and Kate? I can't get my head round it really, just seems wrong!

Madgran77 Sun 07-Oct-18 13:11:41

elfiies but its not really about being dressed "inappropriately" just about the outrageous cost of some of the outfits ...and whether that is "appropriate" or not...I have rather mixed feelings on that

Anniebach Sun 07-Oct-18 10:19:15

Back to class again.

Grandma70s Sun 07-Oct-18 10:17:32

I enjoy the monarchy as a sort of soap opera. A presidency has no continuity or history behind it, so can’t provide soap opera to the same degree.

I’m not convinced anyone thinks they are essentially ‘superior’ to the rest of us. They have a higher social position, that’s all.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:49:12

grin
no-one said superior - they do a job and are paid for it. As for countries with presidents, apart from one or two, the most stable countries are those with monarchies.

paddyann Sun 07-Oct-18 09:47:22

Exactly Fennel and as for the folk who keep saying the rest of the world is jealous of/would love a royal family like the UK's...what a lot of nonsense the rest of the world who got rid of theirs found out very quickly that a president is cheaper and easily got rid of when his term is up.Here the ever expanding Windsor(or insert their real German name) costs the taxppayer more year on year .Its a disgrace that people still want to support this out of date system .I dont understand why anyone with half a brain thinks they are so superior to the rest of us that they "deserve"to be so privileged.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:46:24

I’m very surprised at the cost of clothes shown in newspapers, three figures for a pair of trousers, several hundred for a coat, don’t know where people get these huge sums
FellowFeeling The prices in some of the magazines astonish me too.

Fennel Sun 07-Oct-18 09:35:22

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but where do the royals get their money from? Some of it from the estates that they own maybe. And inherited wealth.
And do they have an income voted for by Parliament? In which case that's from our taxes.
I'm always suspicious when I hear that someone comes from a wealthy family - how come? We worked hard for years and yet we're not wealthy.

Willow500 Sun 07-Oct-18 07:15:39

Grandma2213 I agree about TM's clothes - she seems to have such long gangly arms and legs and her outfits don't seem to suit.

To be honest I don't really concentrate on what the Royals are actually wearing other than to think they look nice and have never been bothered by the supposed cost. I'm more envious of their figures and hair. If I could afford it I would buy more expensive clothes particularly shoes and boots but I shop in a variety of places including TV shopping channels and pay low or more expensive depending on what it looks like on me.

When my sons were small my friend dressed her children in designer jeans and very expensive shoes and coats - we couldn't afford to compete so mine were in hand knitted jumpers, cheap jeans and shoes mostly from the catalogue I ran. I always felt bad for them but you pay what you can afford.

Fellowfeeling8 Sun 07-Oct-18 06:14:46

I’m very surprised at the cost of clothes shown in newspapers, three figures for a pair of trousers, several hundred for a coat, don’t know where people get these huge sums.

Have just paid £75 for a dress to wear to husband’s 70th. Birthday party tomorrow. Couldn’t really believe I had parted with so much money. Rarely buy anything full price and this was discounted.

However hardly anyone will be looking at me, and the way the royals look is highly scrutinised and criticised.
I think it’s a no win situation for them.

Grandma2213 Sun 07-Oct-18 01:23:15

I don't really care what they wear or how much they spend but sometimes I look and think that is really boring and 'samey' (if there is such a word) and is probably not worth the cost.

I hate to comment on politician's clothes but is it only me that finds Theresa May's short box jackets and lumpy trousers quite hideous, not to mention the chainmail round her neck. Sorry but she would look better boring. Just my opinion but now waiting for chorus of abuse!!!!

Alexa Sun 07-Oct-18 00:41:47

Would we still have a royal family if they ceased to look like moneyed aristocrats?

jocork Sun 07-Oct-18 00:37:15

We all vary in the emphasis we put on clothes and fashion. Being on a low income my clothes are usually the cheaper end of High Street, last for many years and I am shocked by the amount many 'ordinary' folk spend on clothes, but everyone has their own priorities. Interestingly, I volunteer from time to time giving out clothes to the homeless with the Salvation Army. Some of the guys who come to us turn their noses up when offered something which isn't fashionable enough, while others are simply grateful for anything warm that fits!

4allweknow Sun 07-Oct-18 00:26:44

I will confess I am as guilty as the next person of buying cheap clothing but I do cringe when going into places such as Primark,Matalan. I can't but see the container ship offloading all the cheap basically rags we buy. Royals may well spend a comparatively huge amount on clothing but do they buy as much as us minions. Sure their clothes last a lot longer than ours do due to the quality. Some are even known to have clothes re-styled rather than disposed of.perhaps in the long run they dont spend as much as we think

grannybuy Sat 06-Oct-18 23:01:34

What surprises me is not that they spend large amounts on clothes, but that the clothes in question actually cost as much as they do!

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 21:14:19

When the female Windsors make visits to other countries new clothes are a must. Wear a dress to Canada and again in Australia use to be considered to no no,

Elrel Sat 06-Oct-18 20:25:39

At least 15 years ago short of everyday trousers for school, I bought a pair of navy blue Elvi (now defunct) trousers, £70. I thought I'd made a stupid 'tired after work' and 'desperate for 'useful' trousers' mistake.
I hadn't - they machine wash, dry overnight or sooner, and are still my go-to trousers.
As the saying goes 'they owe me nothing'!

Is anyone wishing they were a royal duchess with money to splash on clothes? Me neither! They'd soon be criticised if they wore the clothes I wear most days!

M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 19:44:29

Expensive clothing is usually very good quality and well made. It will last much longer than cheaper shoddier garments.

charjoy Sat 06-Oct-18 19:40:18

I am amazed at what people will pay for a name.
Snob value I suppose!

Chewbacca Sat 06-Oct-18 19:04:36

Speak for yourself Jalima!

elfies Sat 06-Oct-18 18:55:10

Both Megan and Kate have had to adapt to situations where they are expected to dress far more expensively and conservatively than they have ever done. Because of that they have to build a beautiful and suitable wardrobe for all occasions , that costs money , but if they appeared at some state occasion dressed inappropriately there would be absolute outrage

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:26:33

Does a navy girl mean all the nice girls love a sailor?
grin
but not a drunken one

Greenfinch Sat 06-Oct-18 18:20:43

I think we are lone voices on this thread Madgran.I must say I am very surprised but each to his own.

M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 17:50:58

I think they are sold through upmarket dress exchanges, with all marks that might identify them as owned by royalty assiduously removed.

Madgran77 Sat 06-Oct-18 17:47:48

Greenfinch I agree, I think that is why I feel uncomfortable!

lilihu Sat 06-Oct-18 17:34:43

Grannygravy13 totally agree. I’m proud to have a Royal Family that brings millions of pounds into the U.K. every year.
Maybe some people who would like the Royals to “go away” would prefer a President Trump?