Gransnet forums

Chat

Irritating Radio/TV voices

(18 Posts)
evianers Sat 06-Oct-18 11:07:03

Even living here in France, we listen every single day to BBCIII radio, whose classical music programmes are a constant delight. Except for Elizabeth Alker's very annoying voice with the expression 'Wadio Free'. One would think that Radio Three would at least employ someone who could pronounced the programme correctly.

elsieshufflebottom Mon 08-Oct-18 22:56:27

I think that a lot. Where I used to live, in Sussex, there are a few quirks in the way place names are pronounced. I did think that local radio presenters should know it's Bedding-ham, not Bedding-em. But my real pet hate is everywhere in the south, and on radio and TV, particularly amongst women, and that's the inability to pronounce the OO sound, so "Good news" comes out as "Gid knees".

Bagatelle Mon 08-Oct-18 23:48:47

You could always read a berk instead.

Grandma2213 Tue 09-Oct-18 00:53:45

Ooh Elsie not just me then. I am often heard repeating out loud, 'Ay, it's gid is it?' I mostly listen to Radio 4 and today a great programme about student food was ruined by so many female students talking like that (and laughing for no reason while they talked)!!

Bagatelle I thought it was a 'bik'!

Yes I am officially a 'Grampy ailed wimen' angry

Teetime Tue 09-Oct-18 09:11:30

For me it's 'disorientated' pronounced as 'disorinted' and Tess's 'cooples'. PrOject for project (soft o). Annoying.

Grandma70s Tue 09-Oct-18 09:29:47

When I was young people tried to talk standard English. As far as I can tell, many people now try not to. I haven’t got used to this.

Petroc Trelawney has the nicest voice on Radio 3, I think. Michael Berkeley also.

paddyann Tue 09-Oct-18 10:50:42

I like local accents ,how boring would it be if everyone spoke the same on TV and Radio .Terry Wogans brogue used to brighten my days

nigglynellie Tue 09-Oct-18 11:15:42

Bath near where I live is pronounced Ba(r)th not BAth! radio/TV commentators please note!!!

Nonnie Tue 09-Oct-18 11:55:52

I enjoy regional accents but like people to speak good English. Yesterday there was someone on R4 who left out every t in every word. It always amazes me that the BBC can't find better people to interview.

nigglynellie Tue 09-Oct-18 15:30:02

I've noticed that too Nonnie! and when my son was a teenager he was always clipping his words which he now confesses was to annoy us!! Now you hear it all the time, TV, radio wherever!!! and it annoys him now as well as us!!

oldbatty Tue 09-Oct-18 15:37:54

elsie.....I cannot stand " gid" and "bik". Also that hideous sort of throaty drawl, where the person can hardly be bothered to get the words out. It often seems to occur when the speaker is a very worthy and serious type.

Bathsheba Wed 10-Oct-18 08:50:46

I particularly enjoy listening to David 'Fitz' Fitzgerald on Radio Devon. He has a lovely speaking voice, very easy on the ear.
But boy was I pleased when Georgey Spanswick's contract ended as the BBC local radio evening presenter. She's been described as "warm and witty", but frankly her giggly delivery irritated the hell out of me!

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Oct-18 09:39:44

Alan Carr and Mel Sykes let loose on the wonderful Graham Norton’s show every ruddy Summer.

We’re mad us, aren’t we? giggle giggle giggle giggle giggle snort Oh Alan, was that you snorting? giggle giggle Yeeeees! Shriek, giggle giggle giggle unintelligible garble. What are we liiiiiiike? Snort giggle shriek giggle giggle giggle. We should play a record shouldn’t we?

Oh please do before my sides split. angry

fivegee Wed 10-Oct-18 12:14:13

I hate the way so many people on tv, when asked a question, start their sentence with "so......" Not only grammatically incorrect but also "so" annoying!

Anniebach Wed 10-Oct-18 12:28:38

Steph MacGovern, sorry but not for my ears

starbird Wed 10-Oct-18 14:04:47

Although I try not to be judgemental I find many accents unintelligible - although I love a soft Welsh, Irish or Scottish brogue. I always have sub titles on when watching tv and turn the sound off or very low if an irritating voice comes on - although the titles lag behind and are often wrong, at least I get to understand most of what is said.
I think that the media goes too far in reflecting all aspects of society these days - often it seems they showcase the worst side of humanity ( including before the ‘watershed’) instead of giving us something to strive to emulate and offering hope for the future.

sunseeker Wed 10-Oct-18 14:11:07

I usually have local radio on most of the day but there is a female presenter on in the afternoons who has the most irritating voice on radio, she is also a terrible presenter interrupting guests, laughing too long at her own jokes and it is embarrassing if she is interviewing a man she obviously fancies as she tries to get him to give her compliments!!! I have to switch off. I think she must have something on the person who is in charge of the station!!

Mapleleaf Sat 13-Oct-18 22:36:39

Accents, love 'em or loath 'em, eh?!! ??