Gransnet forums

Chat

New to Gransnet from Canada

(35 Posts)
BookieGram Thu 11-Oct-18 22:15:25

Hello all! I have just joined Gransnet today. I found the site when I was searching for advice and decided to try it out. I am a 74 year old self-employed grandmother (hence the odd username). I have two wonderful sons, each of whom has two daughters, ranging in age from 7 to 19. I'm not busy with my bookkeeping every day and do not like being idle, so I was hoping to make contact with others who may have similar interests. Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

Treebee Fri 12-Oct-18 19:01:40

Hi Bookiegram. My grandparents emigrated to Toronto in 1930, but they came back to th UK with my Canadian born mother in 1935. As we have other family in Ontario and on Vancouver Island we’ve visited several times and love it. Sometimes I wish they’d stayed, but then I might not exist...

Greyduster Fri 12-Oct-18 19:32:37

Welcome, bookiegram! Our young neighbours have just come back from a Canadian holiday and are still raving about it! They brought me back some soap from the Goat Mountain Soap Company called ‘Raging Elk’! They promised it would not turn me into one. DH told them it was too late! grin. Please do not send us your snow too soon!!

BookieGram Fri 12-Oct-18 21:01:26

Hi Treebee! I'm glad you enjoyed your visits to our beautiful West Coast. I have a bookkeeping client out there on Saltspring Island. They have a small resort with five cottages and their main house. It is a long way from where I live in Alberta but we make it work with email/scan/courier/text etc. The islands out there are so pretty and there is so much to explore. The Canadian Rocky Mountains are along the border between British Columbia and Alberta, and that is also a wonderful area to visit. There is nothing quite like being in the Rockies, summer and winter.

BookieGram Fri 12-Oct-18 21:04:01

Hi Greyduster! My daughter-in-law brought me back some soap from the Goat Mountain Soap Company and I loved it. I just have to figure out how to order some more. I don't know where you live, but I promise not to send you our snow!

BookieGram Fri 12-Oct-18 21:12:43

Hi Purpledaffodil! Canada is a beautiful country, I agree! It's rather funny; so many people in the US (just across the border) who have never been to Canada are so uninformed about our country. They think that it is snowy and cold here year round, some think we live in igloos and we don't have any large cities. My city alone has a population of more than 1 million, and that is relatively small by world standards, but we have lovely summers, and often beautiful weather in the fall. We can even grow gardens! For some reason not much is taught in the US schools about Canada and our history.

BookieGram Fri 12-Oct-18 21:19:10

Hello mumofmadboys! I love your user name! I have never been to Central Canada (haven't travelled much in my own country except the western provinces!) but I've heard how beautiful the Lake District is. I have a niece who lives in Northern Wisconsin, and they have visited the great lakes a couple of times. I'm so jealous!

Izabella Sat 13-Oct-18 10:31:01

Welcome. I have wonderful memories of a coast to coast across Canada, up to and including Churchill a couple of years ago. Stunning scenery!

Craicon Sat 13-Oct-18 11:01:08

Hello BookieGram. Greetings from Ireland. ☘️
My middle son and DIL have just returned from a wonderful trip there and showed us their stunning scenery pictures when they popped over here for a visit recently.

BookieGram Sat 13-Oct-18 17:55:49

Good morning Izabella and Craicon. Nice to hear from you. I'm so glad to hear you visited our great country and enjoyed your experiences. I've always thought how lucky we are to live here. Although some of the winters can be a bit brutal (and you wish you could be somewhere warmer for a bit), it will always be home for me. In turn, I wish I could visit Ireland and a few other countries. Have never had the finances or the opportunity. I've spent most of my life working, and not much "playing". But, we have to play the cards we're dealt, right?