Gransnet forums

Chat

Book for very anxious 10 year old

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 11-Oct-18 22:42:05

He is very bright beyond his years and is suffering acutely with anxiety. I am trying to find him a book about dealing with his anxiety that is age appropriate, which is very hard given his braininess - books that relate to his intellectual level are more aimed at teenagers; and the others are a bit too "childish." Has anyone ever had need to seek such a book; and did anyone succeed?

It is likely that there is a genetic/hereditary element to this and he may need to equip himself with the tools to help him deal with it.

gillybob Thu 11-Oct-18 23:09:13

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1787410870/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b17GB_cr_x__w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=8885c2b4-625c-5949-a2f5-337c1098b0f9&pf_rd_p=8885c2b4-625c-5949-a2f5-337c1098b0f9&pf_rd_r=HQ5WGZWQQ6ZMM9M31AQB&pf_rd_r=HQ5WGZWQQ6ZMM9M31AQB&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_t=101&tag=gransnetforum-21&pf_rd_i=266239

Hi Lucky not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for (it’s an activity book) but I bought this for a young (9 year old) relative of mine who is suffering from stress/ anxiety and I got a very positive response from his parents.

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Oct-18 23:36:03

Thanks for that recommendation, gilly, that book might be useful for one of mine. It’s sad that children so young struggle with anxiety but it does seems to be an increasing problem these days.

Nannarose Fri 12-Oct-18 07:27:16

I used to recommend The Big Bag of Worries by Virginia Ironside, although I suspect it covers much of the same ground.
I have long been a fan of 'fantasy' books for older children / young adults, as they can see the world from another perspective, and how people find strength in difficult times.
If he hasn't read them already, then I think Harry Potter would be ideal, and the Wizard of Earthsea series. There has been a recent film made of one I loved as a teenager A Wrinkle in Time.
The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, are aimed at children with conditions like dyslexia & ADHD, but are also popular with those who feel a bit 'different'.

kittylester Fri 12-Oct-18 07:49:33

I'm going to look at that book too, gilly, thank you.

Our youngest DGS (almost7) is an anxious child and used to be a nightmare at bedtime but DD took him to meet a friend who sells crystals and, between them, they chose stones to make a bracelet which he wears at night. It seems to be working.

PECS Fri 12-Oct-18 08:27:48

I would endorse Rick Riordan too. DGD1 also had a practical book .. think it was simply called "What to do when you feel worried and anxious" . Gave strategies to cope & aimed at upper junior aged kids. .

Luckygirl Fri 12-Oct-18 09:06:06

Thanks for all the ideas - I really appreciate that. It is sad to see someone so young in the grip of this misery.

But yesterday I was listening to the news on the radio and thought this was more than enough to make a sensitive child anxious: floods, storms, killings, sexual abuse.

Nannarose Fri 12-Oct-18 11:00:34

What I like about The Big Bag of Worries is that it helps 'sort' worries:
things that are mum's and dad's responsibility
things that are everyone's responsibility (can you help with recycling etc?)
things that are your teacher's responsibility etc.etc
And finally - who can help you with the things that are your responsibility?
I have used Protective Behaviours as well - the Australian site has free resources:
www.protective-behaviours.org.au/free-resources

I am off to look at the book gillybob recommended, as I think it will have a lot of similar stuff in it.

Lydia30 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:32:08

This was a book I was considering for my eldest granddaughter amzn.to/2Cdqmt5

Jinty64 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:42:28

Nannarose I had no idea re the Percy Jackson series. My eldest son, who has ADHD, loved these books as a teenager. I must dig them out for my youngest.

Camelotclub Sat 13-Oct-18 11:36:36

I wish there was an equivalent for adults!

How awful a child that age is so anxious though.

Nannarose Sat 13-Oct-18 11:56:29

I think that these 'fantasy' series are very good, but certain characters 'speak' to certain children - and it's a chemistry you can't always fathom.
And part of managing my own mild & occasional anxiety is to re-read books from my childhood - or even later. I am now a re-reader of both Harry Potter and His Dark Materials, both published when I was middle-aged!
A couple of years ago, a friend told me about her grand-daughter was struggling with puberty. I remembered Left Hand of Darkness from my late teens and recommended it, it helped. Sometimes kids don't need 'solutions' (although they can be useful) but a feeling of fellowship.

Polskasue Sat 13-Oct-18 12:44:18

Contact Childline. They have lots of resources and advice.

Jimbow15 Sat 13-Oct-18 21:59:40

Well from my perspective as a Child Psychotherapist. I like to dissolve the cause of the Anxiety Trigger with children and young people.
I recommend The Nurtured Heart Approach as it is a very positive and nurturing as you may guess from the name.
It creates high self esteem and brings out the greatness in each child
Joseph

Harrydog50 Sun 14-Oct-18 01:50:46

A worry plaque look them up on Internet works for my grandchildren

BlueBelle Sun 14-Oct-18 05:04:51

When one of my friends grand kids had trouble sleeping because of anxious thoughts I made her a dream web to hang over the bedhead and we read up about the way the American Indians used them to capture their bad dreams and worrying thoughts

clairvoyant3 Sun 14-Oct-18 15:07:59

Jim and the Universe is a lovely book. www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Universe-D-M-Green/dp/1520811063?tag=gransnetforum-21