Gransnet forums

Chat

back packs

(74 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 12-Oct-18 13:54:46

Walking home from town this lunchtime i had 4 library books, my knitting stuff, as i had been to my knit and natter group, a shoulder handbag and a loaf of bread and some other shopping. The shopping bag was over my shoulder as it was heavy and the loaf i held in my hand. Everything else was in the shopping bag.It struck me i might be better off using a lightweight back pack or rucksack as i have a problem with my back and the heavy items would be evenly distributed. Does anyone use one of these bags apart from on holiday etc and is it worth investing in one??

blueskies Sat 13-Oct-18 10:15:45

I like the idea of a healthybackpack NannaRose but not sure about the strap across the front. It seems to be resting on the model's breast which would be uncomfortable.

Oldwoman70 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:18:51

Have to agree with MOnica I have lost count of the number of times I have been hit by careless backpack wearers. Yes I understand some people need to use them - I just wish they would be more considerate to the people around them

Craicon Sat 13-Oct-18 10:22:55

I’ve bought a few bags from here as they’re just the right size for carrying bits and pieces without being too big, they’re well made with good zips and they have a huge range of fun prints. My DS uses one for carrying his laptop in. I was using the pink roses one for summer but I’ll probably use a darker print for daily winter use.

www.justhype.co.uk/bags

You can offen find discount codes for them online too as I don’t think I’ve ever bought a bag from them at full price.

Mumsnet had a 20% off voucher for them a while ago so I wonder if Gransnet could do the same?

If you’re worried about your purse, attach it to a long thin chain and attach the other end of the chain to a zip inside your bag.

sarahcyn Sat 13-Oct-18 10:25:40

Trolley?

nipsmum Sat 13-Oct-18 10:29:08

I had to borrow a back pack from my daughter recently. I was going by bus to visit my poorly elder daughter and as I was only going for I night and didn't want to take a case on a service bus, the backpack was fine. I had my shoulder bag for purse, tickets ect. It worked very well. No waiting to get bags out of the hold either. ( I've had to crawl into the hold to get a case out before.)

mischief Sat 13-Oct-18 10:31:58

I should try one out before buying an expensive one. I bought one to carry my colouring books and pencils when visiting my grandchildren, so it was extra to my suitcase. However I find it gives me back ache and I now just use one shoulder or carry with the loop.

Bazza Sat 13-Oct-18 10:33:09

Why not a shopping trolley? I bought a zebra printed one which I used for a short time when parking was impossible and it was great, far less faff than putting a back pack on. And no, didn’t feel like an old lady!

Kim19 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:38:17

Nannarose, that website address was most helpful. Thank you. Also your constructive comments helped me to decide to investigate further. Happily there is a stockist comparatively local to me. I'm heading there tootie
sweetie! Again, thanks.

Patticake123 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:46:23

I have a foldaway bagsack bought from Ikea for a couple of pounds and it is a brilliant way to distribute the weight of shopping, books etc. Why I didn’t think of it years ago I’ll never know!

mumagain Sat 13-Oct-18 10:47:18

I have a cross body back pack which I use all the time - it's comfortable and I can easily flip it to the front of body if necessary

Meta Sat 13-Oct-18 10:53:03

With the amount of items you describe carrying I’d opt for a small neat shopping trolley to protect your back from carrying heavy items - maybe have a look online there are some very nice discreet ones around, and as another poster has said they are for any age.

VivNE65 Sat 13-Oct-18 10:56:41

I've been using backpacks for almost 30 years. I'm very considerate, especially in crowded situations (e.g., London tube) and always check before turning.
I also have either pockets or a small cross-body bag for purse, phone, keys or anything else I might want regular quick access to. Osprey are my current faves. Spent a ridiculous amount on one because it stands up when you put it down, unlike my almost as expensive Kipling which always toppled forwards.

Cathy21 Sat 13-Oct-18 11:00:29

What about a shopping trolley on wheels

moobox Sat 13-Oct-18 11:28:11

I have a fold up Rolser shopping trolley. It isn't particularly lightweight when folded, but at least I can go to coffee with friends or go down to the shops without being bag-on-wheels-lady. Once loaded, I don't care, and am glad I don't have to carry

Lancslass1 Sat 13-Oct-18 11:51:25

Travailsafar,since you are walking ,would you consider having a shopping trolley?
When I spent a few days away recently and travelled by train I brought back more than I took and borrowed my son's rucksack .
I wasn't happy with it and didn't put anything of value in it but a friend the same age as I am never takes a suitcase when she goes away -even one on wheels -she always uses a rucksack.

mabon1 Sat 13-Oct-18 12:23:18

Buy one tomorrow!!!

ceric7 Sat 13-Oct-18 12:31:42

Have used a backpack for shopping for years now.
Would not be without it.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 13-Oct-18 13:02:02

I use a backpack for carrying the shopping. My advice would be to buy one which has a strap that buckles round your middle as that way you are not carrying all the weight on your shoulders.

I never put my purse in the backpack. I either have it in a inside pocket in my jacket, or in the front pocket of my jeans or skirt, or I wear my purse in a cloth bag securely attached to the waist of my skirt or jeans with at least two safety pins.

ginny Sat 13-Oct-18 13:35:38

Backpacks seem like a good idea. I think I might try one.
Please don’t use a bag on wheels unless you really have to. Lethal things ! At least you have a chance of noticing backpacks. In shops or crowded places unless you walk around looking at the ground you get tripped or rammed on the ankles.

JackyB Sat 13-Oct-18 13:51:13

I like the idea of a backpack and often use them for days out. Like grandtante, I wouldn't dream of putting my purse in it, though.

And do check through your handbag/backpack and reduce the amount of unnecessary stuff you're carrying. Presumably the aim of the exercise is to relieve your back, so reducing the overall weight is obviously the first step.

Check for nice, wide, padded straps and preferably also that the side which is against your back is reinforced or padded. Remember not to pack anything with sharp edges or an awkward shape so that it digs into you.

Ideally, it should also stand up when you put it on the floor, and not collapse into an unruly shape, but those versions are way more expensive.

Many come with a built-in waterproof cover.

Check the zips and buckles before buying and don't be seduced by lots of outer pockets. They're much more use to you on the inside.

loopyloo Sat 13-Oct-18 14:36:08

I have a small back pack that I use all the time. It leaves my hands free for holding small children's hands and grabbing on to rails. In crowded places I swing it round and carry it like a bag.
And I have 2 trolleys one tatty one for the petrol strimmer and a smart insulated one for transporting chilled drinks.
Years of nursing taught me to be careful of my back.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:14:06

I am fed up with being bashed about in crowded situations by people with back packs turning around, without thinking about how far they stick out at the back.
We were in a very crowded museum the other week and there were several people walking around with large backpacks. I got side-swiped more than once.

Coco51 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:15:21

You could try a bumbag for valuables - worn round waist with openings to front and it won’t interfere with the rucksack straps. I’ve got a lightweight nylon ‘Crumpler’ it’s quite roomy and cost me about £15. Alternatively a trolley bag?

Nanabilly Sat 13-Oct-18 15:25:03

I love my backpack . It cost me £20 from sports direct , has got lots of pockets and mesh to put things in and huge padded shoulder straps and straps to the round your waist if you want to , plus it's pink and purple.
It goes wherever I go on holidays and weekend breaks . I would take it shopping if I walked to shops to do it .
Very easy on the back and no marked painful hands either from carrying heavy carrier bags.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:30:01

DH often carries a backpack if we're out for the day (but never in a museum!); I do have a small fabric one which is useful.

They are very 'on trend' at the moment.