Gransnet forums

Chat

back packs

(74 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 12-Oct-18 13:54:46

Walking home from town this lunchtime i had 4 library books, my knitting stuff, as i had been to my knit and natter group, a shoulder handbag and a loaf of bread and some other shopping. The shopping bag was over my shoulder as it was heavy and the loaf i held in my hand. Everything else was in the shopping bag.It struck me i might be better off using a lightweight back pack or rucksack as i have a problem with my back and the heavy items would be evenly distributed. Does anyone use one of these bags apart from on holiday etc and is it worth investing in one??

Brigidsdaughter Sat 13-Oct-18 15:32:23

I use one all the time, alternating leather handbag one and one from an outdoors shop. Each safe closure, important. I just can't do shoulder or cross body anymore. Worth paying for

Riggie Sat 13-Oct-18 15:38:50

What about a shopping trolley?

Daisyboots Sat 13-Oct-18 16:57:30

Nanabilly your backpack sounds very much like my pink and purple one I also bought in Sports Direct. It's very useful when travelling. I put my cabin suitcase in my hold luggage when going away as I know I shall be shopping while away. My packpack is great for keeping all I will need on the journey. On the way home it sits empty in my suitcase and I use the cabin luggage and a handbag for the trip home with all my purchases. The nylon folding packpacks in Ikea are as cheap as chips and so useful going shopping when on holiday now you have to pay for carrier bags.

sluttygran Sat 13-Oct-18 17:12:29

I use a shopping trolley. I thought it might me look like an old lady, then I realised that I’m 70, so entitled! I don’t know how I ever managed without it!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 13-Oct-18 17:38:42

I always use a backpack, I have a rather beauterful leather one to use instead of a handbag and a slightly larger one for shopping as I also suffer from back and shoulder pain. Love them and I don't care a hoot what people think.

Grandmama Sat 13-Oct-18 19:52:44

If I'll have heavy shopping I use my shopping trolley (trolley + hearing aids = I'm now an old lady!hmm). If shopping will be lighter but too heavy for a shopping bag I have the choice of two rucksacks. One folds up flat to the size of a small pouch so I can carry it in a shopping bag and use it if necessary. I think Lakeland sell them, there's a variety of patterns (clothes/handbags etc Lakeland not the cookery Lakeland). Because of my height (5'1") I'm prone to rucksacks in my face so I try to remember I have one on my back so as not to hurt others. I can carry quite a weight in relative comfort.

Hm999 Sat 13-Oct-18 20:11:12

As you are a knitter there are lots of lovely patterns that you can make in an evening. E.g. www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Friday_Morning_Market_Bag_Pattern__D10138220.html
You need to make 2 long handles so you can carry it, put it on your shoulder or wear it on your back (and you can roll it up and put in your handbag until it's needed)
Several of us each crocheted one for a similar reason recently. They grow really quickly.

Pollyanna58 Sat 13-Oct-18 21:38:41

Get yourself a fjallraven rucksack in a funky colour and you will not only have a handy back pack but be in with the in crowd

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 23:29:42

I just looked at the photo of the mini fjallraven rucksack - how cute is that!!
He reminds me of a little boy I know smile

grannybuy Sun 14-Oct-18 01:19:46

With a backpack, I wear a thin lightweight cross body bag for purse, phone and sun glasses. That way, they are still in front of you, and saves the hassle of taking a backpack off every time you need something out of it, plus, no worry about anybody getting my purse out of it while I'm oblivious. A pretty cross body bag is useful for slightly more formal occasions as well.

Fran0251 Sun 14-Oct-18 08:54:52

I Second MOnica. I'm 4' 11", travel on tube and buses. I think people with back packs should be charged a double fare. They stick out and the owners turn round to hit other people without caring and thinking. So unpleasant and thoughtless.

Nanannotgrandma Sun 14-Oct-18 18:45:11

I have a Mui Tui backpack with a secure zipped compartment at the back, which lays against my back, for my purse and phone. It’s wonderful and my shoulder pain (arthritis) has reduced. It wasn’t cheap, £42, but well worth it.

travelsafar Mon 15-Oct-18 19:06:54

I have purchase a back pack today not expensive but to trial and see how i get on with it. it took the weight of 6pints of milk and some other smaller items and was so much easier to get it all home.Thanks for all the tips from everyone. I may add one to my xmas list smile

PECS Tue 16-Oct-18 09:27:12

DGD1 asked for the large mustard yellow fjallraven back pack for her 13 th birthday in Sept. She uses it for the ton of stuff she takes to school.

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 10:11:29

Back packs have to be the 'right one' when you are 13. Or even 11.
I expect a request from DGD for next year's birthday before she starts senior school smile.

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 10:12:52

Excellent, *travelsfar; it sounds as if it will easily take library books, knitting and a bit of shopping.
Very practical solution.

PECS Tue 16-Oct-18 18:55:55

Indeed * Jalima* had to be the right yellow!,

Treebee Tue 16-Oct-18 19:07:50

I too have a beautiful Mia Tui backpack that I use on holiday. It’s much more comfortable than a handbag when I’m wearing it for most of the day.

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Oct-18 20:17:38

I have a lovely brown suede one which my DD2 bought me. It must be "the right one" as I had some young whippersnappers calling out "love your bag, love your bum" at me as I was walking to the shops and they drove up behind. I can only imagine the shocked silence when they turned round as they passed and saw the face. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:22:45

It may have to be blue PECS
Or turquoise
Time to change her mind before then anyway grin

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:23:43

I saw a lovely dark red leather one in TK MAXX today but resisted the temptation.

PageTurner Wed 17-Oct-18 19:20:30

I think I've found the perfect back bag. It is 10" x12" and has many zippered deep pockets inside as well as one on the back which has RDF protection.. Made by Rossetti.
I was getting so tired of handbags that were heavy even before adding all the "stuff" I always carry "just in case".

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 19:22:01

That's nice PageTurner
Very neat