Gransnet forums

Chat

Right, that's it, I'm sick of it!

(53 Posts)
phoenix Wed 17-Oct-18 16:09:21

Hello all, and sending rather damp good wishesblush

I am currently battling a bit of bronchitis/chest infection.

The disturbed sleep, I can put up with, after all MR P's alarm clock goes off at 4.30 (although Minnie will often disturb him before then, wanting to play "mummies & kittens confused)

However, despite using (ahem) what another GN member said that her DH referred to as piddle pads", I am on my 3rd pair of pants & trousers today shockblush

Thank goodness I'm at home, and not at work, damp denim would just be so embarrassing.

Not a happy Phoenix.

stella1949 Thu 18-Oct-18 04:04:16

When I get a bad cough I forget the incontinence pads and go for the overnight period pads. Much more absorbent. No more wet clothes.

kittylester Thu 18-Oct-18 06:30:59

This thread had made me smile!

Hope you feel better soon, phoenix.

Rufus2 Thu 18-Oct-18 09:21:27

I am on my 3rd pair of pants & trousers today shockblush
Phoenix; Are you the same Phoenix who recently posted about having lived at Windsor Castle? I've been trying to get in touch regarding my interest in a Royal Windsor genealogical forum. I've tried pm and other posts to reach you; please let me know one way or the other.
Sympathy regarding your affliction. sad

phoenix Thu 18-Oct-18 10:15:34

yes Rufus2 that's me!

Many thanks to all who posted, I'm off to the docs later this morning, as it doesn't seem to be getting any better, and as I have COPD as well, I suppose I'd better get checked.

shysal Thu 18-Oct-18 10:51:43

Hope your GP sorts you out and that you will be better soon.

starbird Thu 18-Oct-18 12:06:58

I second chicken soup, if you have someone to make it. Tinned is no good as it contains milk which should be avoided. Best made from chicken thighs to get the goodness of the bones, but if not use (an organic) ckicken stock cube. Soften chopped onions, a few chopped carrots, & celery (or use the frozen mix), lots of garlic, with ginger and turmeric and add to stock ( if feeling lazy and using frozen no need to fry first) when that’s cooked for half an hour add lots of green herbs ( dill, parsley, mint - fresh is best but dried will do ) and green veg eg frozen spinach, kale etc and cook about 15 more minutes. Liquidise if you want it smooth. If you feel hungry add some noodles and/or chick peas or other pulse. If you use pearl barley add it from the start. This is my vegetarian anglicised version of a middle eastern ash Traditionally eaten with a dollop of yogurt and flat bread - Just full of goodness - make a big pot full, it is great for colds, flu and respiratory infections.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:42:59

Hope you have been sorted out by your GP Phoenix.

With the right medication you should be up and running very soon.

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:49:51

Oh Phoenix you have my sympathy. When I had a chest infection in Jan I coughed endlessly and went through a lot of pads and clothes especially at night. I hope the visit to your GP pays off and you get some medication - especially with COPD.

fourormore Thu 18-Oct-18 14:34:15

Hi Phoenix, hopefully this is a short term problem due to you having the chest infection cough.
Sadly, I have an atonic bladder that misbehaves and as a result have to self-catheterise several times a day. Even that is not guaranteed so I would recommend you try (even as a temporary solution) Tena 'bladder-leak underwear' as they describe it on tv!
Seriously though, they are good as, although my bladder has leaked on occasions, the pants haven't, which is very reassuring.
Not what any of us want but at least I can relax when I go out and to be honest - who is to know except me? smile
Good luck, I do hope it is temporary flowers

Lynne59 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:42:07

My sympathies, Phoenix.... I had the Bronchitis/virus thing a couple of weeks ago, which then affected my Asthma. The sweating/shivering, hot/cold symptoms lasted a few days, but the cough(I had Steroids for the Asthma, but still coughed)lasted about 3 weeks....and yes, the weeing!

I have an overactive bladder and take Vesicare (prescribed by GP) for it, but I suppose after having a couple of babies and then getting to a certain age, the bladder isn't like it once was.

I buy ordinary sanitary towels (shop's own make) and use those. They're cheaper than Tena and the likes of them.

shysal Thu 18-Oct-18 16:17:35

Thinking about the cough, I can recommend Covonia Night Time, if it is something you are able to take. One swig and a peaceful night follows.

phoenix Thu 18-Oct-18 16:34:33

Hello all,

Well, I'm back with 2 lots of meds labelled "Rescue Medication" shock, one antibiotics, one steroids.

Apparently, even though I have had the pneumonia vaccine, I still have a (slight) risk of developing it.

Bugger that for a game of soldiers, as the old saying goes!

Doodle Thu 18-Oct-18 20:28:32

I don't think you should be playing with military men in your current condition phoenix. Too much armed combat could cause more stress incontinence to say nothing of the assault course ?. I'd stay at home till you feel better if I were you. ?

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:34:57

grin Doodle

Glad you've been given some rescue meds Phoenix - fingers crossed (and legs) they work!

phoenix Thu 18-Oct-18 22:34:39

Yes, but how ill do I have to be to take them?

The doc prescribed them because it was Thursday (yes, I know that seems a bit odd, but think about it and it might just make sense) and on both packets it says "Rescue Medication" and various dire warnings about only taking them if you are really, really ill, then phone the surgery, (who wouldn't be open anyway) and other stuff about avoiding talking frogs and not straying from the path in the woods.

OK, I may have made some of that up, of course the surgery would be open.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 23:23:49

But you can't always tell by yourself if you have a chest infection that needs antibiotics, or if it something that will clear up on its own eventually.
A GP can tell - what an odd thing to put on the prescription!
Is your GP a bit odd?

Grandma2213 Fri 19-Oct-18 00:54:24

phoenix I do enjoy your use of humour to deal with what must be a horrible problem! Our family tend to be the same and it particularly reminds me of my mother when she fell and broke her wrist while shopping. She ended up in hospital lying on a bed having measurements taken. 'Is it that bad?' she said, 'Are you measuring me up for a coffin?'

Hope you feel better soon and definitely take your Rescue Meds if 7 very small men turn up at your door and ask you to do their housework!

phoenix Fri 19-Oct-18 09:14:32

Morning all, what a bloody awful night!

Mr P persuaded me to give in and take the antibiotics at about 5.45am. At 6.30 I was dashing to the bathroom and being sick blush and of course my bladder felt obliged to join in with expelling liquid.

In my sleep deprived state I didn't read all of the leaflet, that says you should not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking them.

My head, ribs, back etc ache from coughing, I'm pretty certain I must smell like an incontinent old bag, so my bathrobe is going straight into the wash.

The only good point is that Mr P is so concerned that he is taking the day off and has volunteered to get all the shopping, even piddle pads, providing I make it clear on the list which ones I want so that he doesn't have to ask anyone.

Now, ladies, can someone please tell me which ones I should ask for?

Auntieflo Fri 19-Oct-18 09:24:49

You need the ones that when you squeeze them, nothing comes out. How to test??? Trial and error. I don’t know, but good on Mr P for offering to shop for them.
Phoenix, here’s hoping you soon, very soon, begin to feel a bit better.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Oct-18 09:36:15

What a beastly bug! It really seems to have got its claws into you. Get those meds down the neck!!!!

I wear pads all the time as my bladder seems to have a mind of its own. But I woke at about 5.30 to the bed totally soaked, right through to the mattress. Momentary panic.....but then realised that my hottie had leaked and emptied itself through the bed, duvet, sheets, mattress - the lot! Oh joy!!

Hope the anti-Bs will kick in soon and knock this all on the head.

Granny23 Fri 19-Oct-18 09:46:58

I am also a 'Tena' lady, though, in truth, my pads come in a huge parcel, delivered every 6 weeks, free of charge courtesy of NHS Scotland. I find that pads work well when upright or sitting but do not sook up as well when lying down as gravity makes the fluid flow backwards rather than down.

Solution? Pads placed towards the rear and secured there with 2 pairs of tight big girls pants. HTH grin

fourormore Fri 19-Oct-18 09:59:37

Well done NHS Scotland for providing the pads free! I use Tena Pants rather than pads and buy in bulk. I have to pay but as it is a long term condition they are VAT free (until the government twig and decide different!)
They are a bit dearer but for the security it is worth it and also you don't wear ordinary pants so no washing - every cloud has a silver lining smile I can honestly say that I have definitely leaked whilst wearing them, but the leak has gone no further, and no smell, so the outside world are unaware!
Good luck to so many of us by the sound of it! We are not alone! flowers

HootyMcOwlface Fri 19-Oct-18 10:10:57

If anyone wants pants or bed pads, Age Uk Incontinence site is worth a look

www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/shop-by-brand/age-uk-incontinence-products/age-uk-bed-pads.html

HootyMcOwlface Fri 19-Oct-18 10:22:19

I’ve directed you to the wrong page, start here instead!

www.ageukincontinence.co.uk

seacliff Fri 19-Oct-18 10:28:06

Poor you Phoenix. How lovely that Mr P is staying home to administer TLC, good man. Hope you feel better soon x