Gransnet forums

Chat

Wool?

(16 Posts)
Telly Wed 17-Oct-18 16:18:58

Have just seen some awful footage of sheep being mal treated, abused and beaten whilst being sheared, mainly in Scotland. Footage is available on the Mail website. How is this allowed to continue is a country that is supposed to have high welfare standards I guess farmers will be puzzled when we are all vegan.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:22:14

I have seen expert sheep shearers in action and here is absolutely no need for ill-treatment.

When was this, Telly, obviously not recently.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:23:37

Incompetent idiots!

aggie Wed 17-Oct-18 16:23:37

And we have all seen footage or sheep being sheared with no ill effects. They get overheated in the summer and bogged down in the rain if the wool is not removed

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:27:45

Shearing is essential for a sheep to be comfortable in the warmer weather - and I am sure that most shearers are competent and well-trained.
There will always be the rogue element in any industry.

PETA says:
extreme suffering and death for millions of gentle sheep and lambs.'
hmm I would want to see more evidence that millions of sheep and lambs are dying from being sheared.

gentle sheep hmm again!

phoenix Wed 17-Oct-18 16:35:06

As mentioned before, I used to keep a small (50) flock of sheep, and was always present for shearing.

I bloody had to be, I was responsible for catching and fleece folding!I

Not to mention that one of our ewes, cantankerous thing, but my favourite girl, who would do her utmost to put the shearer on the floor.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:38:18

Not to mention that one of our ewes, cantankerous thing, but my favourite girl, who would do her utmost to put the shearer on the floor.
And they can be very strong and wriggly!!
I think some of them are judo experts.

gentle sheep

paddyann Wed 17-Oct-18 17:18:48

oh dear those Scots are barbarians aren't they? This would never happen anywhere else ! Look around you there are bad people in all walks of life in all countries ,even in Scotland but I can assure you they are not the norm.We have friends who farm sheep I must ask him about the "mail" article .

Fennel Wed 17-Oct-18 19:07:04

I saw that on a website. Looked like a team of amateurs.
As phoenix said, sheep can be very cantankerous.
When we were in France for a few years we had about 30 sheep belonging to a Welsh friend on our land. In the early summer one shearer would come, and tackle one at a time. There was a bit of rough and tumble sometimes before the creature settled down. But they skipped away happily afterwards.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 19:40:11

oh dear those Scots are barbarians aren't they?
They're probably not Scottish paddyann wink

And they are certainly not Australian!
if they are I'll eat my woollen hand-knitted hat

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 19:40:57

I met some lovely sheep last week, but I must say, they can be very strong and very strong-willed too.

Telly Thu 18-Oct-18 10:28:27

It was yesterday. Have a look. It covered 26 farms and didn't look like a laughing matter to me. There was not skipping happily away. It was barbaric.

Fennel Thu 18-Oct-18 11:39:58

Telly I was talking about 'our' sheep.
To be honest, I didn't watch the whole thing, it was too upsetting.
As I said the shearers were probably untrained amateurs. It's a skilled job which needs experience too.

Telly Thu 18-Oct-18 15:03:53

Of course there are rogue elements in all industries. What I found most disturbing was the fact that the report indicated it was so widespread. What would the farmer think when he saw the bloodied and bruised sheep return? Why did it take an undercover report to expose?

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:16:16

Telly I am surprised at this news. Farmers care for their livestock and not just because they are their livelihood.
However, they are worth money, of course, and blood-stained fleeces are perhaps worthless too, although they are in fact worth precious little these days, more's the pity.
What would the farmer think when he saw the bloodied and bruised sheep return?
I would think he would be upset and furious.

I hope PETA brings this few cases to the attention of any authority which needs to know.
26 farms out of about 40,000 is not many but this needs to be brought to the attention of any authority which needs to know. There are EU/Government regulations in place regarding sheep shearing.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:16:59

sorry, I repeated myself, copying and pasting
!