Gransnet forums

Chat

One step forward. Two steps back.

(46 Posts)
Polskasue Thu 18-Oct-18 00:19:58

Hi. Over the next 6 weeks I am reliving everything from this time last year when my husband was dying. Suddenly and quickly. I know I have achieved such a lot since I lost him - taking control of finances/bills/contracts, moving house, dealing with my Dad's flat - ( my husband died the day we buried my Dad ) and generally surviving. In the early days I didn't think I'd get this far. But I have - because our instinct is to survive and there isn't much of another option. But I just feel that I'm swimming against the tide, even after a year. My darling grandaughter just says " I have so many happy memories of Granddad Pete " and then just carries on playing. How I envy her acceptance of what has happened. When does it get easier?

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 00:32:59

You have done amazingly Polskasue.
Like you I find myself reliving those last few weeks just a year ago. The initial months passed in a mixture of shock and adrenaline.
Then the world went back to work and “the rest of my life” started.
When you find out when it gets easier, let me know please!
flowers

agnurse Thu 18-Oct-18 01:07:50

This is the first anniversary of his death. Of course it is going to be hard. That's not surprising. Usually counsellors will advise you not to make any major decisions for a YEAR after the death of a spouse.

It sounds as if you've coped very well so far. That's really fantastic.

It's not wrong at all to find it hard to accept. This was your husband. His death was sudden so you didn't have much time to prepare. All of a sudden you had many responsibilities thrust on you. That's not easy either - especially when you're already stressed.

One thing you might consider is seeing a grief counselor or joining a grief support group. Even this far on you might still find them helpful.

Blue45Sapphire Thu 18-Oct-18 07:45:10

Same here, but nearly 8 months since DH died. It is so hard, but there is no option but to 'carry on'. It's sink or swim and I have no intention of drowning; and then a friend of mine full of doom and gloom said " but some people choose to sink and they do" - that's certainly not an option for me. I will carry on carrying on, and try my best to get through each day as DH would have wanted me to, it would break his heart if he knew how much I was grieving and missing him. Hope he's looking down and saying "that's my girl!" Thinking of all of you out there going through the same.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Oct-18 07:54:25

Polkasue, MawBroon, agnurse,Blue45sapphire and any other gransnetters who's partner in life has died, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 07:57:31

I wonder if those in the same boat would agree that nothing prepares you for this and however much sense you read or hear, it is not like anything else you have ever experienced.
No longer part of “we” even the everyday vocabulary has to change.

rascal Thu 18-Oct-18 08:02:00

Thank you GrannyGravy 13. As times goes on eventually it gets less raw. But for me it's taking years. We need to swim even although it feels against the tide. We can only do our best. flowers

Alygran Thu 18-Oct-18 08:15:07

For me a little over a year and I agree with you all. The days up to and beyond the anniversary were tough remembering not just last year but exactly one year earlier and DH’s terminal diagnosis. maw wrote elsewhere about a hill to climb each day. So true and sometimes so steep. I think I have just been keeping on going from the nursing and grieving to filling my days and grieving but now find myself continually ‘three steps from tears’.
It’s a stunningly beautiful morning here and another hill to climb. Hope everyone’s hill is a little less steep today. flowers

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 08:48:26

May I share this with you?

I was widowed over forty years ago after only eight years,one month,one day of marriage.

Several weeks after my husband died I was sitting by his grave , i saw a man sitting on a bench, had known him and his wife for years, she had recently died, they were a lovely couple, devoted, no children, in their late seventies.

I sat with him on the bench, we exchanged condolences, then he said ‘ I was thinking when you walked in, she is so young , been robbed of much happiness but can build a new life , in time can find happiness again’.

I had been thinking, ‘ you are so blessed to have had so many years , so many happy memories ‘

He had to live with many memories of happy times, I had to live with thoughts of what might have been.

I haven’t grieved for over forty years, I can’t remember his voice, I have never forgotten the strength of his arms . This year would have been our golden wedding.

I am so sad for all who feel so alone after many happy years with their beloved husband , hold onto the strength those years gave you and all the memories .

Hugs to all x

Auntieflo Thu 18-Oct-18 09:08:03

To all those who have written about lost loved ones, and those who haven’t, you are such an inspiration to each other. Coming on here, and being able to pour out your feelings, must be such a blessing. You get support, love and encouragement, back in spades. GN at it’s best.

morethan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 09:12:21

I have no advice, I hardly dare to imagine how you all manage to feel and cope day to day. Your all such an inspiration. How your love shines through all of these posts. I hope sharing with each other is helpful.
Your posts are so touching they make me want to have a little weep.

Teetime Thu 18-Oct-18 09:30:51

My sincere condolences to all those here and those who have not posted. flowers

lovebooks Thu 18-Oct-18 10:46:12

I am a member of the same unhappy club, and five years later, it's still hell - the bitter absence of 'we' and 'let's' in my vocabulary. Now facing major surgery and Christmas alone because I won't be able to make it to my daughter in Cornwall.

Kim19 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:50:04

Polskasue, I think you have achieved an amazing amount in a year. Amazing. So much was piled on your head. Bravo! When does it get easier? Can't be precise about that but I can tell you it definitely does get easier but you only realise and admit that to yourself gradually. I'm in an arena of acceptable gratitude that I ever met my husband and we had such a good time together. That certainly didn't happen overnight but I still feel him around me and that's as good as it gets for me. Give yourself time as well as a huge pat on the back. Good luck.

Coconut Thu 18-Oct-18 10:52:32

I have no experience of this however .... It sounds to me as tho you have been on auto pilot for a year, dealing with all practical things so methodically. I feel that now you have achieved all that, you now need to allow yourself to grieve properly. Grief is very personal and we all find our own way thro, there are no right or wrong ways .... cry when you need to and if you feel very low, consider bereavement counselling .... I wish you well ?

Luckygirl Thu 18-Oct-18 10:53:58

Hugs a-plenty to you all and a gentle push up that hill you are climbing. flowers

Apricity Thu 18-Oct-18 10:56:31

Anniebach I have read many of your posts but this one just aches with the loss of your beloved husband all those years ago. ?

Polkasue I haven't experienced a loss like yours but after reading so many poignant, painful and truly wonderful posts on Gransnet from those who have I know that you will survive, and you will be able, in time, to make a life around the gaping hole in your life. ?

GrandmaMoira Thu 18-Oct-18 11:10:56

Polkasue - You have done a great deal in one year after a double bereavement, where most of us had one bereavement. The one year anniversary is I believe really about the worst time there is. You will get through it. We are all in sympathy with you,

sarahellenwhitney Thu 18-Oct-18 11:23:19

Polskasue. You clearly had a wonderful relationship and take it from me it takes time and although you will never forget the man who meant so much to you your loss will ease. We are all different and how we get through our loss is individual. If you want support in your grief your GP will be able to give you the address of organisations that will help.

NudeJude Thu 18-Oct-18 11:28:57

I can't think of anything useful to say, so just sending you the biggest of hugs.

Whiff Thu 18-Oct-18 11:43:53

My husband died February 2004. He wanted to reach his forty seventh birthday he did and died four days later. In my experience you learn to cope but grieving does not get any easier especially as the children have gotten older. They are both married and our daughter has a son and our son has two sons. When Nick died Emma was twenty and Phil sixteen. I miss Nick everyday and talk to him all the time. We were together twenty nine years married nearly twenty three. We started courting the day after his eighteenth I was nearly seventeen. I don't want another
man as I was very lucky to have had a wonderful husband and won't make do with second best. I do get lonely but it is for him. If it wasn't for our children and their partners and of course out grandsons I wouldn't be living an independent life. I promised my husband I would live my life to the full and I have kept that promise.
The anniversary of his death is always very difficult for me. I relive the week up to and the week following his death. Every year I think it will be better but it never is. It gets worse. I have always hide what it's does to me from our children. They found out this year. They couldn't understand why I had never told them how bad it gets. But they still grieve for their Dad I didn't want to make it worse for them. I hope this time will be better as February will be the fifteenth anniversary.

Bijou Thu 18-Oct-18 11:48:51

My husband died thirty years ago after forty years of very very happy marriage. We were so close that he used to say if he had a dirty thought I would know it. When we lost our daughter at the age of twenty and I was crying at her graveside he said that life is for the living and he would not like it if I was grieving over him.
So I kept busy and went travelling and living life to the full.

appygran Thu 18-Oct-18 11:53:40

Polkasue. I am sure that as time passes your grief will change too. I am a little further on than you, my husband died 18 months ago. The first year was difficult with all the first's. His birthday, my 70th, our 50th wedding anniversary, grandchildren starting school and him not being there for them and then reliving the events leading up to his death just before the year mark.

This second year is proving to be calmer, more emotional and surprisingly more tearful but certainly calmer. I look back at the first year and it feels as if I was in a trance. Now reality has set in, this is how it is going to be and it feels somehow transitional. I am grieving but also planning and moving forward with my life. This is me, we are all different and I cannot predict how it will be for you.

Nothing prepared me for the death of my husband and it is harder than I ever thought it would be but I will survive as we all will in our own unique ways.

Nanny41 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:31:16

Polskasue you have acheived a lot in a short time keep on doing the same.I was in the same situation fourteen years ago when my Husband passed away suddenly so unexpectedly, it was a hard time and I think of him every day, to a point things do get better. Hugs to you

appygran Thu 18-Oct-18 12:36:54

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together

There is something you must always remember

You are braver than you believe
Stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think

But the most important thing is
Even if we are apart
I'll always be with you

Winnie the Pooh

I am sure you are all familiar with this but I thought I would share it anyway to remind us how brave and strong we are.

Polkasue your post reminded me of the resilience of children. This is the reading my eight year old granddaughter chose for my husbands funeral. She did not read it in the end , the Celebrant helped her but she was so brave even wanting to do it. Just as she was brave sitting on his bed telling him about Brownie camp the week before he died and for being so loving and supportive to me and her mum ever since. She lost a lot too he was her grandad dad.