Gransnet forums

Chat

Hats off...

(96 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 08:48:17

To Theresa May. I know, I know! However, it's unbelievable how she keeps going in the face of such unpleasant colleagues and unsympathetic EU politicians. I'm only commenting as a fellow female of the same age. I don't have the stamina for all those late nights and early mornings and endless meetings. Thank God she's there. The alternatives are unthinkable. (Sits back and awaits opprobrium)

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 17:59:21

ignores her cabinet and confides in and acts upon advice from civil servants instead,

Of course!

Civil servants will know far more about the legalities, the delicate way to negotiate through the maze than any MP.
I'm quite shocked that you did you not know that!

civilservice.blog.gov.uk/2017/07/11/how-the-civil-service-is-preparing-for-brexit/

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 18:21:48

She must realise that she is pleasing no one. She has ignored the advice of many of the top civil servants who warned her that many of her delusional plans were unworkable. The latest bodge is just playing for time, costing billions and alienating all sides. Not exactly effective leadership. Yes, she’s hung on in an unwinnable situation and claiming victory when all she’s done is play for time, but that’s about it. Doesn’t mean we should be in awe of her political achievements. Personally, we can admire her stoicism, but that’s not saying much.

mcem Thu 18-Oct-18 18:42:58

I'm with suzie and stree.
Stamina! stress! yes all of that but the bottom line is that her earlier c....-ups are now culminating in the complete fiasco and failure we're looking at today!!

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:45:51

I never said we should be in awe of her political achievements. Her resilience and stamina in the face of a ghastly situation all round is quite remarkable. I deliberately did not post on the political threads as I wanted only to comment on her as a woman of the same age as me and others on here. I couldn't do what she does and there are few, if any, that could.

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 19:11:12

No I couldn’t do what she is doing as she is making such a huge mess of her day job. I would like to think I would know to quit before I was pushed. I am sure she is sincere, but blinkered. Doesn’t mean we have to admire her.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 19:18:02

Jane10, yes I did realise that and I'm sorry I got drawn into the political side which developed on here.

Yes, I am in awe of her stamina and that of many women in their 50s and 60s (and older), then realise how much older I am than some of these women!

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:17:58

Oh well crystaltipps as you could do so much better why not volunteer to take over? Poisoned chalice anyone?

stree Thu 18-Oct-18 20:31:59

Jalimall08.
I rather thought that the cabinet was the political team, otherwise, what is the point of them? The legalities may be the natural arena for civil servants, but they should not be sent to negotiate in lieu of elected politicians, merely serve to provide information when required.
The woman may have the stamina to bounce around like a ping pong ball in a tumble dryer, but she achieves nothing, except perhaps division, confusion and delay.
She is doing more harm to the UK than good.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:34:56

Her stamina must be good though

This is Chat

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 20:43:08

Did I say I could do much better? No- I said I couldn’t do what she is doing, I hope I’d quit before I was pushed!

Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:17:20

And let who exactly take over? Boris? Gove? Corbyn? Any other bozos to suggest? Each of them make her look better and better.

mcem Thu 18-Oct-18 22:21:52

So we agree that she's the best of a bad bunch? How very reassuring!
The fact that she keeps on going like a Duracell bunny is hardly a ringing endorsement of her political acumen.

Jane10 Fri 19-Oct-18 06:25:56

Sigh. Missed the point again.

Gagagran Fri 19-Oct-18 07:35:26

I don't usually venture into political-type threads but the point I would like to put forward is how rude and insulting the EU have been to the Prime Minister. She was invited to address them on Wednesday then asked to leave so they could have their dinner without her - how insulting was that?

We are still members of the EU until next March yet they treat her with disdain and barely concealed contempt. Then they adjourned to the pub no doubt full of themselves and how clever they were to keep the UK dancing to their tune.

It's not just Mrs May they are treating like this but in effect all of us as she is there as our Prime Minister.

crystaltipps Fri 19-Oct-18 07:38:37

I’m sure your point was to praise some admirable personal quality in May’s stoicism by hanging on despite all the criticism and backstabbing, but it’s hard to separate the person from their achievements, or in the case of May, her non- achievements. At some point, merely hanging on becomes counter productive and becomes something to criticise rather than admire.

NanKate Fri 19-Oct-18 08:22:01

I’m with you Jane I suspect the only time TM can relax is when she is with her DH.

I often wonder how things would have gone if Corbyn had been at the helm, a thought is too awful to consider IMO.

I don’t usually come on political threads so Goodbye.

seacliff Fri 19-Oct-18 08:47:40

I totally agree with you Jane.

sodapop Fri 19-Oct-18 08:54:39

I'm with Jane10 also, I can't imagine what it must be like to wake up each morning and wonder who will be the next backstabber.
I agree TM is not the most dynamic leader but sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

Anniebach Fri 19-Oct-18 09:05:28

Well said Jane

Overthehills Fri 19-Oct-18 09:07:00

IMO there simply isn’t anybody else who could do any better. I admire her tenacity amidst the shambles that is Brexit. And yes, I admire her ability to laugh at her self - unlike many... Her physical energy alone, with her health problems, is amazing. Like everyone her age she has made mistakes which I’m sure she regrets - as we all do - at least we haven’t made ours with the eyes of the world on us!

eazybee Fri 19-Oct-18 09:21:21

What a refreshing post.
I too admire Theresa May's tenacity, doggedness, sheer hard work and her ability to travel from country to country, meeting to meeting and continuing to do so, in the face of non-stop criticism and the insulting behaviour of senior EU officials who should behave with courtesy towards her, in public at least, whatever their political differences.
Unfortunately her abilities are compromised by what I believe to be two huge mistakes: calling a second election and her decision to appoint herself as chief negotiator. Negotiation is a very specific skill and I don't believe it is one she possesses.

EllanVannin Fri 19-Oct-18 09:30:54

Scrap it altogether and carry on as we were. Why not ?

Overthehills Fri 19-Oct-18 10:36:33

If only Ellan!

paddyann Fri 19-Oct-18 11:48:58

she's not a "POOR WOMAN" in any way,she has the job she wanted,and she wont be affected by the decisions she lands on the rest of us.Her and her cohorts will all be wealthy enough not to feel the pain,or like some will have their boltholes in EU countries .Of course all those EU laws about money laundering and tax havens that the EU are bringing in next year have nothing to do with Teresa and her friends looking for a way out!!

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Oct-18 12:41:09

Another reason to admire her stamina and doggedness, is the fact that she is not in perfect health - she has type 1 diabetes. It's obviously well controlled, but it must sap her energy at times.