Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and supportive kitchen

(1001 Posts)
soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:53:02

Here we are again. Happy as can be. All good pals and jolly good company...

flowers [café] brew wine cupcake and much love xxx

Marydoll Sat 24-Nov-18 08:45:16

I'm just addicted to GN! grin

EllanVannin Sat 24-Nov-18 08:55:04

Hi Dragonfly welcome onboard.
Good ages for both parents,eh ? Makes you wonder where all this dementia has come from though. I can't remember it being around when I was growing up.

Online games I like are Hidden Objects, Solitaire ( cards ) and Mahjong. Keeps the brain focussed and alert.

aggie Sat 24-Nov-18 09:07:04

I used to be a candy crush addict , but now it is online crosswords ! Cooking for one is a pain , it never tastes the same , batch cooking and freezing is good , but lethargy can lead to kitchen. F

aggie Sat 24-Nov-18 09:09:12

Fail , I avoid ready meals ..... too much salt . I need to get out of this chair and hang out the washing !

NanaandGrampy Sat 24-Nov-18 09:11:52

Morning all from the West Wing !!

Still not quite resolved the freezing to death issue out here but Grampy is on the case !! Ive added a couple of pictures of the inside- not finished yet but getting there ( if you don't count the 20 boxes in the loft that have never been unpacked in the year we have been here !!)

Welcome dragonfly ! Im with you , I love a bit of online gaming and play Elvenar and Forge of Empires as well as the ones that just pass time .

I admire your mindset about cooking for one Ann , I think the key is to batch cook and freeze for those days when its all too much effort. I have a friend who is alone and have to say I love the way she does things , sitting down at the table, nice china, all the trimmings, a glass of wine if she fancies it !!

I agree with the other comments MOMB , it sounds as though your cat is happy in most ways . Do you feed dry food because if so it might be worth getting her checked out as it can affect older cats kidneys and cause weeing issues . its easily resolved if that's the case by swapping to wet food and a quick course of antibiotics. Can you shut her out of the dining room for a while to see if she ' forgets' where she likes to wee?

Cooper aged 4 got married yesterday! Sadly, we all missed it. But he assures me Edie Sue is a lovely girl and shares her snacks with him !! I have added a picture of the groom ( in the middle in the blue anorak!!) He doesn't look impressed. Its ok though apparently he reassured his Mummy he loves her most and it was all pretend ! Thank god he wasn't the one chosen to be ' christened'!!

Sending a hug to all in need and now a sprint back to the house to warm up - back later !!

MawBroon Sat 24-Nov-18 09:13:18

One year on I still overbuy, Annsixty and the DDs tease me that the contents of my freezer would see me through a nuclear winter.
In the early weeks though I sometimes just had to abandon my trolley and go and sit and cry in the carpark, convinced that everybody else was in couples and, or shopping for a family and that my paltry trolley contents shouted out that I was on my own.
Not a good feeling.
You’ll get there flowers

Nannytopsy Sat 24-Nov-18 09:58:45

Welcome dragonfly! I am East Mids too - at least for the time being. DH retires next year and then we shall move. Love your tidy West Wing Nana - I love those shelves but have the smaller version here. Ann if I am alone I may cook for two meals and just have the same thing next day. If it is a favourite, I don’t mind.

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 13:15:05

The sun has got his hat on...hip hip hip hooray...grin

Dear Ann, such good advice from your pals in the kitchen. Enjoy whatever takes your fancy, food-wise, together with an occasional glass of wine. One day at a time. Maw is correct. You will get there. flowers

N&G I am everso slightly envious of your West Wing. I would so love to have a room in which to enjoy painting activities. Apart from the easel, I have the computer, a piano, an exercise bike and other non essential clutter. Mustn't complain. I also have a stunning view across a beach and the Sound of Kintyre with the islands of the inner Hebrides sparkling in the sunlight.

MOMB You say that your elderly cat is happy. Really, that is what it's all about. I would welcome the chance to have our much-loved cat, Rory, back with us. He was terribly incapacitated towards the end of his life. We vowed to keep him with us providing he continued to enjoy his food. It was one of the saddest days when, after a few days of refusing food, we called the vet. sunshine

Nannytopsy Sat 24-Nov-18 14:06:20

Has anyone noticed we are on page 40?! What colour the new kitchen? I fancy a smart grey. ?

eilyann Sat 24-Nov-18 15:01:49

I have been 'out of it' with computer problems for a couple of weeks but Hooray DGS sorted it for me!
[annsixty] - evertyhing everyone else has said. I am in awe of you and do hope that you settle ito your new chapter very soon. [Panache and Mr P] I do wish those of us lot lived closer - I am sure you would be inundated with helpers.

NanaandGrampy Sat 24-Nov-18 16:14:38

Evening all,

oh I had a lovely day making and sorting and such. I do love a good bit or organising.

Its toasty warm now thank goodness with my new heater so I think I'm set !

I love those shelves too nannytopsy they're so flexible and not that expensive.

There's always room for you here Soop , a nice warm corner for your easel ? Is it too early for some Christmas music?

Have a lovely evening all !

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Nov-18 16:46:25

I had a productive day wrapping presents and writing cards. Need to keep busy at the moment to take my mind off other things.

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 17:35:51

dragonfly I'm pleased to hear that you, like N&G and eilyann have enjoyed a productive day. Someone needs to. I've been going round in ever decreasing circles. Cannot account for it. Just one of those days...we all have them from time to time.

dragonfly What is the matter? Can you share with us lot. You never know, someone may have some sound advice to share with you. smile

Nannytopsy Your wish is my command. A smart, sleek, grey (taupe) kitchen is having the final touches added to it. We've a super-size sofa placed beside the window. Plenty of room to loll and take in the view. I've taken tonight's sunset to share with you.

As we shall all be opening the new kitchen in the not too distant future, I shall keep a beady eye on things right up to my bedtime. If I should be asleep when the door needs opening...please will the last person to visit, open up and put the bubbly in the ice bucket. I'm hoping one of us lot has some cake for the sharing. grin

callgirl1 Sat 24-Nov-18 17:36:30

I`m going to have a go at joining in again, but haven`t a snowball in hell`s chance of remembering more than a couple of anecdotes, so please forgive my lapses of memory.
Ann, I`ve nothing to add to what has already been said, you have done all that could have been expected, and more, so time to get some of your life back now.
Mr and Mrs Panache, I hope you are both managing alright, hopefully you will have got some help by now.
N&G, love your West Wing, I see that Sam has been catered for, as he flipping well should be.
Dragonfly, welcome. The only game I play is Gold Miner, I usually pop on for a couple of games before closing my laptop for the night.
Daughter 3 called today, our chatting culminated in her booking for us to go see Marty Wilde, Eden Kane and Mike Berry at the Embassy Centre in Skegness next May. So that`s the 02 in Feb for Strictly, Albert Hall in March for the Classical Spectacular, our family journey to Kintyre in April, now this in May. I used to say I never went out, folk are going to be saying I`m never home now lol!
Apologies for not mentioning anywhere near everyone, I will try to keep up from now on.

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Nov-18 17:52:34

callgirl1 how exciting seeing Marty Wilde and Eden Kane. When I was a teenager I could go to Leeds Empire and sit in the gods for a shilling. I saw all Larry Parnes boys - Adam Faith, Billy Fury etc. Also so Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran. Those were the days.

soop I had a biopsy on Thursday - could be skin cancer so feeling pretty fragile but don't want to moan and bring everyone down.

callgirl1 Sat 24-Nov-18 18:06:03

Keeping everything crossed for you Dragonfly x

Greyduster Sat 24-Nov-18 18:31:18

I, too, will keep everything crossed for you dragonfly, and welcome to the kitchen. Just the place for a hug when you need one.
I have had a quiet day today. Early start though, watching GS run a cross country. He got a respectable placing so it was worth getting out of bed at the crack of doom for!
I used to play a lot of games on line but seem to have got out of the habit now, except for Scrabble, Codewords, Spider solitaire and a golf game I am totally rubbish at. No-one has invented an online fly fishing game yet. When they do it might save me getting cold and wet!
Ann if it is any consolation I never got out of the habit of cooking for four! Everything will find its own level I’m sure.
N&G I bet Coop was glad to get out of there without a bride in tow, even if she is generous with her snacks! What an interesting exercise though!
We are off to junior footie tomorrow sporting some interesting new supporters headgear! I might have to lose mine...... I don’t do bobbles!
Well I had better take my foot out of the door before it slams shut, so I will see you in the new kitchen. Good evening all!

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Nov-18 18:41:09

Aah thank you - what a lovely cosy cafe this is x

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:12:33

dragonfly and a huge supportive hug from me. X

Doodle Sat 24-Nov-18 20:15:23

dragonfly you've come to the right place. Although we have fun and cheer, the kitchen is the place to share worries and problems. We all care for and support one another. You don't need to tell us your secrets but if you are worried about something you can then you will get advice if anyone can help and support and a shoulder if necessary. We may be virtual but the caring on this thread is about as genuine as you can get. We have a wonderful example in our dear soop who looks after us all. Hope your results bring good news.
panache hope you and Mr P are ok.

cornergran Sat 24-Nov-18 20:35:17

Evenjng All. Rushing in before the door closes.

Everything crossed here too dragonfly, distraction is good but don’t exhaust yourself.

Love the west wing n&g, more than slight envy here. I lost that particular debate with Mr C sadly. Stay warm smile. Hope Cooper is more enthusiastic if a real wedding comes along one day grin.

Hi callgirl love the sound of your plans, we’ve got ballet booked but that’s all. You may stir me into action.

Beautiful photo soop, you live with some truly spectacular scenery. Hope Tabitha has been by today.

Best pay attention to our guest now but want to register a concern for Mr and Mrs panache, anyone heard from them?

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:49:50

Doodle thank you for your kind comment.
I'm about to close this kitchen. Will open the new one very soon.

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:51:22

Tabitha has not visited for two evenings. Looking forward to seeing her a little later.

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:52:22

On my way to open our new kitchen. See you very soon.

soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:52:59

Bye for now. XXX

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion