Gransnet forums

Chat

kisses

(13 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 27-Oct-18 13:58:42

I met my niece this morning and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek and also when we said goodbye.
It is me that kisses my DH good morning and goodnight, also with my children when i see them, the only person who actually gives me a kiss is my sister ,both on greeting and saying goodbye.How does kissing lie with everyone else??

Maybe i'm just not kissable!!! confused

farview Sat 27-Oct-18 14:22:45

I always kiss, children, grandchildren,friends... just seems natural to me...

harrigran Sat 27-Oct-18 14:26:50

I tend to just hug my sisters and one BIL as the other is very formal and offers his hand to shake. DC don't normally get hugged except when DD is leaving to go back to her home abroad. GC get hugged whenever I see them which is fairly frequent.
We have always insisted in no kissing because of the Herpes virus, DH has sufferedi all his life since being infectd as a baby.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Oct-18 14:55:31

Nope! No kissing here please! grin

I don't like, or encourage, kissing from friends or family, including the GC. A hug is lovely, especially from the GC, but the very thought of mere acquaintances puckering up would make me turn and run.

POGS Sat 27-Oct-18 15:08:48

I'm a hugger and a kisser and I come from a large family who all do the same and think nothing of it, it just come naturally.

grannyactivist Sat 27-Oct-18 15:09:28

My son and his wife have just left after a brief visit and they hugged and kissed on both arrival and departure. The Wonderful Man has been in Africa for several weeks doing voluntary work and part way through the visit my son crossed the room to give his dad a second big hug and tell him how glad he is to have him back.

I grew up in a family where there was no physical affection ever shown to me and as a consequence I always ensured my own children received a plenitude of hugs and kisses - and I now reap the benefit as they are all very affectionate with me. smile

BlueBelle Sat 27-Oct-18 15:23:31

I do hugs and cheek kisses , never been a mouth kisser apart from boyfriends or husbands I can’t do that somehow with anyone else

merlotgran Sat 27-Oct-18 15:24:18

I have a sis-in-law who always offers me her cheek whenever we meet. I used to give her a quick peck but because she never kisses me I decided, in future, to leave her with a funny lop sided tilt of the head like the Queen Mum. grin

I prefer to just hug people because these days you never know how many kisses to give. My Swiss sis-in-law kisses both cheeks but nobody else in the family does.

Anniebach Sat 27-Oct-18 16:01:11

Coming from a large extended family we all hug and kiss, always have done , cousins hug cousins too

BlueBelle Sat 27-Oct-18 16:11:41

Harrigran you can only pass herpes on if you have an active outbreak certainly ordinary kisses at any other time would be absolutely fine

giulia Sat 27-Oct-18 16:15:34

Heving lived in Italy for the past 40 odd years, I automatically kiss and hug.
However, when in England I realise some people get a little embarrassed.
I am also a "touchy" person and often touch people on the arm or shoulder when speaking. I just don't think. It's automatic to me now,

MiniMoon Sat 27-Oct-18 16:24:13

I'm willing to give all my friends and family a hug, but kissing, no. I get rather embarrassed by all the kissy people I meet. I never was very demonstrative, and had to teach myself to give hugs.

Marmight Sat 27-Oct-18 16:27:09

Quite a lot of 'mwah mwahing' and air kissing goes on, and a hug with friends. One DD is gradually becoming more huggy/kissy like her sisters. I think there's much more emotion shown now than when I was growing up; I hated it when maiden aunts loomed towards me with lips pursed ready for the dreaded kiss ?. My hairdresser greets me with a hug as does my FA. It'll be the postie and the milkman next grin. I often collect the GC from school and a lot of the mums greet each other as if they haven't met for months!