Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs now allowed in John Lewis stores

(146 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 05-Nov-18 10:58:51

As long as they are in a bag or carried. (assisted dogs as normal)

Not sure about how this is going to work
Pooches are often (imho) the more vocal
yappy.

Designer dogs ?

Schmidt10 Sat 10-Aug-19 13:57:20

I am a responsible dog owner and grandparent and really can’t understand what all the fuss is about ! There are times when you will have a dog with you while shopping as sometimes enroute to an appointment or on holiday you might need to go to a shop . It is therefore a great delight to know that increasing numbers of places are becoming dog friendly . My dogs are well behaved (better in fact than some rude adults and unruly children ) so well done John Lewis for opening your doors to us .

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 18:34:07

Our JL was packed the other day (not a dog in sight either)

showergelfresh Fri 09-Nov-18 18:13:36

What will they do next to draw in their dwindling customers?

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 17:58:15

I don't have one but I could borrow several!

NfkDumpling Fri 09-Nov-18 17:39:17

Theoretically I suppose they are Jalima. Do you have one to try it out?

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:19:50

What about cats on leads? Are they allowed in JL?

If not, then it's discrimination.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Nov-18 23:15:56

Any self-respecting cat could have got the better of my dear dog! He was all bark but would probably have run away if a cat turned and chased him.

icanhandthemback Thu 08-Nov-18 20:50:37

My boy is a retriever x poodle so doesn't moult quite like a retriever. He's a Goldendoodle but as he's black so it's a bit misnomer!

Deepblue Thu 08-Nov-18 17:10:34

Totally biased Witzend! We've had flatties and goldies for 40 years and I can't imagine life without them. They all share a similar gentle nature but my flatties are so pleased with life you can't be with them without smiling. No matter how low I might feel when Taggart bounces up to me and brings me his favourite 'duckie' to cheer me up - the world seems so much better.

Witzend Thu 08-Nov-18 15:09:16

Personally I love dogs in pubs, I'd choose a pub with dogs any day over one without. And I was pleased to see so many cafes saying 'dogs welcome' on a visit to N Yorkshire. I dare say they'd lose a lot of business if they banned them.

Deepblue, we love flatcoat retrievers! Friends had two, alas no longer with us. Beautiful dogs with such lovely natures.

Deepblue Thu 08-Nov-18 14:11:48

I have three retrievers- an old golden and two flatcoated retrievers. The only time I take them into any town centre is when we are on holiday in a rented cottage and very often the owners specify that dogs shouldn't be left alone in their property.

My husband then does the shopping while I find a bench or seat outside a coffee shop where I can sit and people watch to my heart's content. It's lovely how many people come over to let my dogs and I've had lovely chats with people purely because of my dogs. I would never take my dogs into a shop because I wouldn't stress them in that environment.

My dogs are all typical of their breed and very gentle people pleasers but I'm amazed at how many people let small children run straight over and fuss them without checking first if they are safe. Thankfully mine are but the next one they meet might not be.

Having said all that, I'm well aware that some people are extremely anti dog and I sometimes feel as though even their very breathing seems to annoy those people.

An old friend of my husband's works with search and rescue dogs and we often chuckle about his dogs. As he says, nobody trapped under rubble has ever said 'ooh get that dirty dog away from me!'

Iam64 Thu 08-Nov-18 08:40:58

Food - ah, my Labrador x is totally lab on the food front. There wouldn't be any left on the table, she'd get her partner in crime to distract us by being adorable and batting his very long eyelashes, whilst she hoovered up anything edible within reaching distance.

sodapop Thu 08-Nov-18 08:39:52

Mine would be too interested in waiting for cake to fall from the table to think of running around Iam64

icanhandthemback Thu 08-Nov-18 08:37:57

As long as there wasn't cake...or any other food, that would work, Iam64. My gorgeous boy ignores cats, squirrels, chickens etc unless they look at him and then he runs in the other direction. He chases inanimate food though!

Iam64 Thu 08-Nov-18 08:07:40

Jalima, icanhandthemback...maybe we could arrange one of those gransnet meet ups, sit down with our cups of tea and the dogs lying nicely under the table. Someone could use the word "squirrels" in the discussion, that would be guaranteed to have my big dog racing up and down looking for them.

srn63 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:49:15

We lived in Germany for 3 years, you could take dogs everywhere, except supermarkets, even into the airport too if you needed to pick up people/visitors etc. It was great, never once saw a problem with it.

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:58:00

I wish my little dog was still with us - he was inherited and not what I would have chosen but a great dog nonetheless.

It would have been fun to carry him into JL in a bag then yell 'CATS' and watch him pelt around in ever-increasing circles, barking like mad.

icanhandthemback Wed 07-Nov-18 21:32:34

If I'm ever up that way, Iam64. If you're ever on the South coast...!

Iam64 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:27:19

Oh, I do like a Black spaniel...... York is a good place to visit as well.
icanhandthemback - maybe its a date in York then?

oldgoat Wed 07-Nov-18 21:26:14

NEWS FLASH! Black spaniel spotted in John Lewis's ,York this evening.

Iam64 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:21:25

Icanhandthemback, they'd definitely bond. My beautiful female dog is also what is derisively referred to as a 'designer dog'. I chose her because I love working labs and standard poodles but love shaggy dogs even more. She was black but is now a lovely shade of silver, all down to the fading poodle gene. She is beautiful, kind, full of fun, loves to chase things and is an all round Good Thing.
A Date?

Shona9 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:03:42

Suedonim Lol lol I’m ctually having visions of rebellious dog owners wheeling their pets into JL stores in basket trolleys & canvas bags on wheels. Barking mad lol

Shona9 Wed 07-Nov-18 20:54:29

I’m just off the phone to one of my lifelong friends. I mentioned I posted on this thread. I’m still laughing at what she said. “ In that case I’m writing to them. My cats are part of my family,as are my grandsons two rabbits & they’d fit in a bag. This is pure discrimination” ???

GabriellaG Wed 07-Nov-18 20:51:02

used to sashay

GabriellaG Wed 07-Nov-18 20:50:15

My maternal nanny (a very 'particular' Catalan lady) to sashay
shop with an unrestrained parrot on her shoulder. It was a real hoot and would mimic the shop-girls patter.
I doubt she would have allowed anyone to stop her shopping anywhere. She always wore a half veil on her hats and the parrot would squawk and say 'take it off'. It's a good job dogs can't speak. grin