Gransnet forums

Chat

Question to disabled people, well anyone really.

(36 Posts)
Eglantine21 Mon 05-Nov-18 16:52:33

Both my mother and my husband were disabled. Life had its challenges but both of them met them with determination and humour.

It was what they could do that defined them.

I think we all would have had a bit of a joke about it.

Evereyones so ready to be offended........

Riverwalk Mon 05-Nov-18 15:44:58

It wouldn't bother me either.

But are you disabled merlot? The driver probably didn't intend to be disrespectful but I can see how the passenger was annoyed.

Reminds me of an East End boxing trainer on the local news - he was extoling the virtues of boxing for local kids as a way of keeping them off the streets, etc. He was very proud that his boys were a reflection of the diverse community saying in a strong Cockney accent

We got loads of 'Efnics' - everyone's welcome!

downtoearth Mon 05-Nov-18 15:35:07

Reminds me of a delivery driver,I have a parcel for you

merlotgran Mon 05-Nov-18 15:34:39

It wouldn't bother me either. There is a lot of shorthand about these days but I can see why it could offend some people.

Our vet often leaves off the end of a sentence when referring to treatment because she knows that we know what she's talking about like, 'Doing a dental' - leaving off the word procedure.

kathsue Mon 05-Nov-18 15:15:05

I would just be grateful that the taxi driver had made the effort to drop me at the most convenient place for me, which obviously wasn't a normal drop-off point.
I think "disabled" was a shorthand not an insult. It wouldn't have bothered me.

Baggs Mon 05-Nov-18 15:11:43

I think some people feel genuinely socially awkward when they are with a disabled person and not used to that. The awkwardness of not quite knowing which words are acceptable.

I had an aunt who suffered cerebral palsy at birth and was both mentally and physically disabled as a result. It was said that she was handicapped, an expression one doesn't hear nowadays except with reference to golfing handicaps and such.

Baggs Mon 05-Nov-18 15:08:13

Supposing the passenger had been a sporty type and the taxi driver said "got a sporty" at the destination, would that have been disrespectful too?

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with the people who think it would have been better with 'person' or 'passenger' added. I just think one can't assume such things are (meant to be) disrespectful or degrading.

Alima Mon 05-Nov-18 14:44:35

I think it sounds disrespectful. “I have a disabled passenger” isn’t too much effort is it?

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 14:38:30

Ohh sorry to read about , it is difficult to interpret accurately if we did not hear how it was said.But
it does sound disrespectful, it is also lazy speech.
A bit like an ambulance person saying saying something like I’ve got a bleeder, or an arrester, it’s sort of shorthand between various service givers, but not very pleasant or palatable to the general public. Definitely not deserving of a tip .

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Nov-18 14:37:29

I personally think it would be more acceptable if the word person or lady had been added.

Baggs Mon 05-Nov-18 14:19:56

I've just read a thread on Twitter about a taxi driver who asked a security guard at the BBC if he could park by the kerb (don't know what the alternative was) because he had "got a disabled". Disabled was obviously used as a noun or, as the disabled person in question said "an adjective left hanging".

Someone replied to the original tweet that this was degrading for the disabled person. She said she didn't tip the driver.

I don't think it should automatically be seen as degrading. It depends on how the taxi driver said it for a start. Some tweeters mentioned that it could be a sign of a lack of education and consequent poor language skills. I don't think a poorly educated person with poor language skills should be assumed to be more than just awkward and ignorant about the correct thing to say.

What do other gransnetters think?