Gransnet forums

Chat

Free Bleeding - another fad?

(247 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 18-Nov-18 11:44:01

Has anyone heard of this idea.
It is that women shouldn't be made to feel in any way uncomfortable about the menstrual flow, and can choose not to wear sanitary protection if they so choose.

SpringyChicken Sun 18-Nov-18 13:39:07

I imagine it would attract flies. Yuk

stella1949 Sun 18-Nov-18 13:42:07

The idea that blood stains are easily removed is a joke, surely. I care for my DGD's period situation , and most of her stained underwear has to be binned, the stains never come out. I've decided to buy her some Modibodi pants for period time - they absorb any blood which spills over from your pad, and then it washes out. I wish these had been around in my time !

www.modibodi.co.uk/

M0nica Sun 18-Nov-18 14:16:11

We do not have free weeing or free pooing, why have free bleeding?

SueDonim Sun 18-Nov-18 14:36:06

I've heard of this before but I have to say, I can't see the appeal. Fresh blood makes the skin damp & clammy while dried blood goes hard and likely to chafe. No thanks - not that I need to worry about such things nowadays.

suzied Sun 18-Nov-18 14:44:18

Wouldn't it muck up the soft furnishings? Or the bus seats?

Chewbacca Sun 18-Nov-18 14:59:52

Wouldn't it muck up the soft furnishings? Or the bus seats?
Taking this one step further.... if a woman,who happens to have HIV, decides to "free bleed" and leaves wet blood on a bus or train seat; isn't there a danger of spreading the disease?

HIV is spread only in certain body fluids from a person who has HIV. These fluids are blood, semen, pre-seminal fluids, rectal fluids, vaginal fluids

travelsafar Sun 18-Nov-18 15:07:05

Urgh!!!! Doesn't bear thinking about TBH

Fennel Sun 18-Nov-18 15:10:56

What a mess!
It could be in protest against the kind of thing Bridgeit mentioned. In those days menstrual blood was seen as 'unclean', dangerous.

Eglantine21 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:13:51

Do they carry wipes with them to clean up or do they just leave the blood there for somebody else to deal with?

Any chance of getting a pro-bleeder on here to talk about it?

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:16:14

Is this fake news?

MissAdventure Sun 18-Nov-18 15:26:22

Not as far as I know.
Apparently the idea was originally put out there as anti feminist fake news, but was picked up by people who thought it had some merit.
I'm no expert on fake news though..

Bridgeit Sun 18-Nov-18 15:38:48

It has to be a wind up surely, why would any woman Want to do this, menopause was bad enough, unexpected bleeding, afraid to stand up , etc.
Just imagine getting off a bus, ‘this is my stop, Ohhps sorry about that would you mind cleaning it up back at the depo, cheers mate ‘you are supporting free bleeding.

janeainsworth Sun 18-Nov-18 16:20:28

Taking this one step further.... if a woman,who happens to have HIV, decides to "free bleed" and leaves wet blood on a bus or train seat; isn't there a danger of spreading the disease?
chewbacca only if the blood or other body fluids of the person who’s carrying HIV or Hepatitis B actually get into your bloodstream. So you’d have to touch the blood or whatever with a cut finger, or sit in it with a cut in your leg or something.

Blood borne viruses aren’t spread by inhalation or even ordinary contact.

lemongrove Sun 18-Nov-18 16:23:38

Disgusting and ridiculous....in equal measures.grin

M0nica Sun 18-Nov-18 16:32:54

Why should women have permission to freely spread menstrual blood everywhere, when anyone else doing this with other body excretions would be condemn, not least of all, for the danger this habit would be to public health.

It is not just the danger of the infections contained within the excretion itself, but also the dangers of the insects and bacteria it would attract, not to mention scavenging animals.

Let's face it, even dogs are not allowed to sh*t on the pavements, without the owner/dog walker being expected to clear it up because of the health danger it presents..

MissAdventure Sun 18-Nov-18 16:35:20

Some of the women have said that they spent years constantly checking that nothing had 'come through' onto their clothing, as if it were something shameful.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Nov-18 16:35:59

Thanks janeainsworth; so it's not beyond the realms of possibility then is it? Wet menstrual blood on a seat; next passenger sits down. He has an small open wound on his hand. If any of the contaminated blood enters his open wound, the disease is spread.

Nah, just use a Tampax and be done with it.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:37:25

It would be possible, though janea, if someone does have a cut and touch the blood.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:37:58

X post

janeainsworth Sun 18-Nov-18 16:39:08

No it’s not chewbacca and that’s why healthcare professionals have HepB vaccinations.
HIV actually has low infectivity in blood, more so in semen.

janeainsworth Sun 18-Nov-18 16:43:18

Yes it’s theoretically possible jalima but I was trying to say that the chances of becoming infected in those circumstances are small, and the risk is more from HepB than HIV.

Parsley3 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:45:03

In the interests of equality, men should be allowed free peeing against the wall.

maryeliza54 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:48:39

Some men do that already Parsley.

Parsley3 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:54:03

??

Mycatisahacker Sun 18-Nov-18 17:04:49

Oh for gods sake how ridiculous. Obviously periods are a fact of life like pooing and peeing and sometimes these things leak out and of course it’s not shameful but it’s not something to encourage is it.

Attention seeking nonsense