Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop' s warm and welcoming kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:55:38

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome and thank you all for your wonderful company.

cornergran Sun 23-Dec-18 12:56:40

I'm with Charley today, not venturing out. Some cleaning and sausage roll making before our friend comes tomorrow. Shouldn't take long, somehow it is - perhaps because the computer is a bigger draw hmm

Beautiful images, the moon, children and Izabella's description.

I'm less anxious today, my Aunt continues to deteriorate, my cousin understands why I can't be there, all we can do is wait for news. Our Daughter in laws mum didn't sleep, remains in steady rather than acute pain and is wondering how best to get the 190 miles home. Understandably she would rather be in her own home but it might make more sense to stay put for a while.

I knew the filling would be good greyd, agree, mushrooms have a tendency to look, well yuck, in dishes, they do taste nice though.

I also saw the programme from Kings, thought the young men were very self possessed. We lived close enough to Cambridge to visit often back in the day and loved it. Carols from Kings sort of begins Christmas here.

Oh Willow your granddaughter did have a day of it. Two of ours are retail professionals and the tales are hair raising. I hope your granddaughter understands the incident was about the customer not her and it won't make her anxious. Most of us customers are OK human beings.

Enjoy your Christmas trip kitty, you both deserve some rest. Hope you can relax a bit ann, it sounds as if your Christmas is off to a wonderful start Izabella. I've had panache and her husband in my thoughts, sending healing vibes to them both.

Safe travels to all who away from home. The duster is calling so I must be off. I'll leave some sausage rolls later if they prove to be edible.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Dec-18 12:49:04

MawBroon, sorry to hear your sad news, sending love and hugs, shall be thinking of you and your new found family in the coming days. ???

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 12:45:33

In bits
I have just heard that my half- brother’s wife can have no further treatment. Her platelet count is nil and she has at best weeks to live.
So very very sad for them and thinking that the first time I will meet my nephew and niece will probably be at their mother’s funeral. (Those who were around when I posted about this may remember my half-brother was adopted at birth and we only “found” each other about 3-4 years ago. )
She is at home with carers and I imagine the family will be with her over Christmas but hard too to have little ones staying.
Sometimes life’s sadnesses are too much.

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 12:43:59

Before I settle down to attempt to catch up...here is this morning's moon casting a pathway of light across the sea. MacSporran took the photos.

Nannytopsy Sun 23-Dec-18 12:03:43

Another very visual description of a lovely scene Izabella - it sounds an idyllic plan! Here we have views of redbrick houses hunkered down against the persistent rain, with continuous rivulets trickling into the gutters.
DH has taken the granddog for a quick walk - I have hurt something in the lower calf on both legs (possibly tendonitis?) from walking the hound. Even shopping is really painful, despite having a trolley to lean on but we are off shortly to do the supermarket.
Have a lovely time Ann and very best wishes to Panache.

Doodle Sun 23-Dec-18 10:49:45

Ooh kitty now you've got me wondering. What is it you get up to in a lively dressing gown? tchhmm The mind boggles tchgrin

kittylester Sun 23-Dec-18 10:42:47

I, too, love rocking horses, Topsy and have a friend who makes them and then sells them for charity. They are often auctioned and one went for over £2,000.

I'm glad your DH is content ann - now all you have to do is have a lovely time with your DD.

Willow I feel for your dgd. Two of ours worked for Budgens. One DD worked in the Oxford store while she was studying there. She had a huge secret smile when one woman told her child that if her school work didn't improve then she would end up working behind a Budgens counter 'Just like that poor girl there!'

We have opened our Christmas presents to each other today and DH had forgotten to buy me a card. He had though bought me a lively cuddly dressing gown and a print by my favourite artist.

Izabella Sun 23-Dec-18 10:35:30

Knock knock. May I come in?

Spent a couple of days reflecting on life, the universe and everything .................

This morning after a trouble free drive we awoke near Aberfoyle to a very dark morning. Much later than at home.

However, the morning progressed to ethereal tendrils of mist threaded through the trees just above roof level. So so quiet. Since breakfast the mist rolled in to envelope us in a soft pale grey blanket cocooning us from the trials and tribulations of the world. As I write the sun is trying to nudge her beams through to lighten the day further. Nature is calming and healing us.

We look forward to long walks, reuniting with family and then returning to a lovely blazing wood fire and a meal tonight with a carefully chosen bottle of red.

Greetings to everyone and may the collective problems and woes of grans netters lessen.

Greyduster Sun 23-Dec-18 10:23:11

Good morning, folks. I have been catching up on the sleep I lost in the early hours. Corner I hope you had a restful night and that there is only good news in your day.

Yesterday’s vege wellington was very tasty - even DH said he would eat it again - but the filling didn’t look very appetising. I think there were too many mushrooms in the recipe. So I am thinking about having a re-run with some different ingredients and leaving out the mushrooms. I want it to have a bit of wow factor! If she hadn’t chosen to do a fish starter my life would have been so much easier! No joined up thinking in this family!

NannyT what a lovely photo - I love to see children on rocking horses. As I speak I am looking at one of my son on his first rocking horse (not so grand as yours though!). He is around twenty months old and looks as if he is off to rerun the Charge of the Light Brigade single handed! It is my favourite of all our photos of him.

Willow Your GD did not deserve that, but some people have neither manners nor empathy where others are concerned. I was at customer services at our local supermarket, where some woman was haranguing a very patient assistant and doing the finger in the face thing over what sounded to be something very minor really. Glad your Gd got to smile later though!

Charley a quiet day indoors is what all sensible people will be doing today I think. Enjoy yours even if Tara has deserted you for the moment!

I am just listening to Once in Royal David City on the radio. I didn’t realise, until I saw the programme on TV two nights ago, that the Kings chorister who sings the solo in the Nine Lessons service is not chosen until Stephen Cleobury points at him literally as the red light to begin broadcasting comes on. This is supposed to stop any nerves. If it were me who was chosen, on the spot, so to speak, my knees would buckle but these young boys are so calm and professional. And the whole thing is wonderful. Nine Lessons makes Christmas for me.

annsixty Sun 23-Dec-18 09:46:42

Greetings to you all on a very wet morning.
I have had to sit down with second coffee and paracetamol.
I had a bad day yesterday but pleased to say my H was very content when 5 of us went to see him.
My D is on her way, she txtd a few minutes sho to say she was just leaving Warwick service station which is about half way on her journey
I decided I must make an effort for her as she is missing her C who are spending C in Bermuda with their father.
The cat has decided she doesnt care for decorations and is destroying as I am doing it, hence the paracetamol.
Safe travels to all on the road and a good day to all.
The calm before the storm.

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:07:05

Willow all I can say to your GD is that these nasty people do not stay for long but it is totally unnecessary- who do they think they are?

I love your dog.

I was up before 8am today because Tara came leaping onto my bed telling me to get up now. I have no idea what the weather is like outside- she has gone and that will be madam until around 7pm this evening. I do not need to buy anything so a quiet day indoors methinks.

I do hope that Panache is okay.

Willow500 Sun 23-Dec-18 06:40:36

Morning all from a very very wet Yorkshire - it's been persisting it down since early doors and Daph decided it was time we were up at 5. The cat flap is locked to prevent Alfie escaping as it's B day today (I can't use the bungalow word as he's super intelligent!).

Dragonfly I hope your mum finally gets discharged back to the care home today but she is in good hands in either case.

Grey your hat is very festive if a little 'scewwiff' - I hope the vegetarian dish came out well. Here is a picture of son's dog in her Christmas jumper which she brought to Mr W to put on - she's such a funny girl!

NannyT what a lovely picture - those little ones must be so excited! My Gds had a rocking horse just like that when they were younger. I think it's now in their garage waiting for the next generation to arrive (hopefully not for a few years yet!) grin

Soop your Christmas day sounds perfect - my idea of bliss. I suspect ours will be a little chaotic and definitely different as we are spending it at friends with their family and two grandchildren. We will try to Skype NZ on Christmas eve our time to see our little grandsons open their presents and then the other side on Christmas morning to open theirs which we dropped off yesterday.

We had a lovely day yesterday visiting son no 1 and family. Our fears that the A1 would be horrendous were unfounded as it was very quiet - I suspect everyone was in the supermarkets doing the Christmas shop. My poor youngest GD who has just turned 17 works in one of the biggest ones in town and came out in tears after an 8 hour shift having had a dreadful day. One customer threw £20 of coins at her in payment and made her count it all then wanted to use vouchers for the rest of the cost - GD told them they had to go to Customer Services to redeem them and was shouted at - in the end the supervisor was called and confirmed this was the case. Another had a pack of chicken which burst and she wasn't allowed to leave the till to get washed up - just given a wet wipe - I'm sure this must have been a breach of H&S. Suffice to say her mum (who has worked for the same company at a different store for years) was livid and will complain.

We did cheer her up though as we were allowed to watch the video of her drama class's play which was extremely good if not a little upsetting as it was about school bullies - she played her part brilliantly. Thankfully she was all smiles when we left.

I have a mountain of work to get through before we finally leave for the seaside today not least of which is packing all the food up - I have doubts about getting some of the frozen stuff in the small freezer over there so we may well end up eating far more than we should over the next day or so before we even get to the big day.

Have a good day everyone and safe travels for those about to venture out or away tchsmile

Nannytopsy Sun 23-Dec-18 00:23:50

Callgirl I haven’t noticed satsumas but our local T had lots of clementines. I shall find out tomorrow - I suspect it will be horribly busy. In my till girl days, Christmas Eve itself used to be quite quiet after the initial morning rush but the day before was bedlam. We had best grin and bear it I suppose and go prepared for a long stay.
The granddog is back now that we are home and the cat is once again in a strop. Only another ten days ... grin

callgirl1 Sat 22-Dec-18 23:43:06

Lovely pic GreyD, doesn`t the pom-pom tickle your nose?
I gave my display unit it`s annual going over this afternoon, consequently I`m suffering a really bad back from being on my feet for too long. The unit looks lovely though, every glass and every diddy ornament has been washed or polished to perfection.
I didn`t go into town today, decided to wait until Christmas Eve to brave the shoppers. Does anyone know why satsumas are so hard to get hold of?

cornergran Sat 22-Dec-18 23:25:05

Think there will be a queue for a rest very soon smile

Perpetual motion here too.

No news of my aunt which has to be good news

Daughter in laws Mum has been discharged wi5th instructions to phone for an ambulance if her symptoms recur. Apparently not a heart attack but as yet undiagnosed. Testing will take place some point in the future.
Phone is on in case middle of the night child care needed as she is currently staying with her daughter.

Really tired now so off to sleep. Hope you can do the same.

Greyduster Sat 22-Dec-18 22:36:25

After all now we’re retired, we’ve the whole of January to recover!. Gq that is the only thing keeping me going at the moment!! And you have just reminded me, I haven’t bought DH a card!?. Back to the supermarket tomorrow, then!

cornergran Sat 22-Dec-18 21:56:59

That’s rough dragonfly, hope you can get some rest.

grannyqueenie Sat 22-Dec-18 21:56:57

Loving the festive look gd! and those lovely youngsters too kitty, it all helps with the Christmas spirit which has been rather lacking in this house these past couple of weeks. Festive plans have been rather up in the air with arrangements changing by the day. I do feel a bit better now it’s clearer where I’m supposed to be when and with who, not to mention who is/is not coming here at various points. Presents are all wrapped, the treats that granny traditionally provides are made and ready to go, and so long as I remember what’s to go where it will all work like a well oiled machine.....a machine lubricated by industrial quantities of ?! It’s all going to involve a good bit more driving than we’d anticipated best not go overboard on the ?then and will not be the most relaxed Christmas we’ve ever had. However in the grand scheme of things this is very small beer indeed and we’re very glad that we can help out where it’s needed most. After all now we’re retired, we’ve the whole of January to recover! ?

kitty I too bought my old boy a rather lovely Christmas card, sadly it disappeared without trace ? so I’ve had to buy another but it’s not nearly as nice.
soop I can imagine that rainbow, we saw some beauties when we were on Isla a couple summers ago.

I’m so far behind I’ll never manage to mention you all so I’m going to stop wittering on!Thinking of all those for whom this Christmas will present tough challenges. x

Marydoll Sat 22-Dec-18 21:44:15

So sorry to hear that, dragonfly.. You have so much to contend with at the moment.?

dragonfly46 Sat 22-Dec-18 21:29:49

Mum still not home! She was still on the ward at 7.30 waiting for transport home so the manager of the home told them to keep her for another night. It meant she could sleep at a normal time.

Doodle Sat 22-Dec-18 20:49:25

Oh kitty. Can't you tell him you wrote it in invisible ink tchconfused

kittylester Sat 22-Dec-18 18:11:49

Just popping in for a cachup and I'm greeted by gd looking very fetching!

Sending (((hugs))) to maw and*ann*. I really hope you can enjoy your Christmases. The same to you corner. It does seem worse when these things happen at Christmas- there is so much riding on it especially if children are added to the mix. I hope your worry about no 3 is just that - a worry but unfounded.

I'm really peed off - I bought DH a lovely card which required a silver pen - the flipping pen ran out half way through my message!

dragonfly46 Sat 22-Dec-18 17:48:14

Baggs the recipes look amazing - just what I was looking for.
I have downloaded it onto my Ipad (kindle)

soop Sat 22-Dec-18 17:28:13

I am seriously p**d off with Kindle. Does anyone know why it is that part way through typing a message, the screen sometimes goes blank. I have lost several postings this way. It is sooooooo frustrating. shock

Anyway, I have rebooted the computer. Because you lot are worth it. tchwink

I have caught up with the latest marathon ironing session. Thanks in the main, to being distracted by Exeter beating Saracons.

Greyduster You look very fetching in your festive headwear. Does the pom pom get in the way when you are cooking? tchgrin May all your culinery skills be greatly apprciated. I'm joining corner in the unruly queue to sample your wares.

We understand that our new neighbour may be discharged from hospital, depending on the result of recent blood tests. She has, so far, made a remarkably good recovery from triple heart bypass surgery. Although she and her husband have bought the next-door property, they still live in Oban, where they run a hotel. Thankfully closed for the season. The "house next door" is being renovated in order that they can retire here in due course.

I feel sad for all our Granspals with loved ones in hospital or a care home. One small consolation is, that in spite of being extra specially busy during this time of the year, both do their utmost to add some festive cheer.

It has been a damp day. Not cold. In fact, for Scotland, it has been mild. It has been dark for a long time. My next duty is to put a warmed mat and a bowl of food in Tabitha's chalet. Still no sign of her.

My love to you all. In the morning, all things being equal, I shall do my best to pop into the kitchen to catch up with all the latest happenings. tchsmile moon

Baggs Sat 22-Dec-18 17:17:27

Hello, The Kitchen! Two of the recipes I recently got from DD1 have been fab. Both are by someone called Rukmini Iyer and are from her Green Roasting Tin book. I'm going to do the leek, puy lentil, Feta cheese one on xmas day and we'll have lamb meatballs with it.

The other one has rice cooked in coconut milk and with cubed squash on top. I'm going to try that with crème fraîche instead because coconut milk sends my guts into spasms.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion