Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop' s warm and welcoming kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 24-Nov-18 20:55:38

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome and thank you all for your wonderful company.

cornergran Sun 23-Dec-18 12:57:40

Oh maw our posts crossed. I'm so sorry, you're exactly right, sometimes life's sadness is just too much. Sending love and hugs.

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 13:00:31

One thing which does especially sadden me is that despite being (half) siblings, he and I have no shared experiences and so not the closeness of siblings who have grown up together. I am particularly fond of his wife though but he and I are really still at the stage of finding out about each other. I can fill him in on our father and family history but feel I am “at one remove” from the family unlike those he has known all his life. His children do not know me at all.
Does that sound silly?

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 13:01:44

Cornergran you have your family sadnesses too don’t you? flowers

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 13:13:16

kitty, now you have got us lot all begging for a lively dressing gown. tchwink

Nannytopsy That is a delightful photo. I have always loved such rocking horses. Never did own one. Mr Phillips, the dentist that I was treated by as a child, had one in the waiting room. I can still see the glum looking folk waiting patiently on uncomfortable chairs and having to listen to the horse
making a heck of a noise because the rockers needed oiling.
You should be resting that leg. Elevate it and relax. Not much chance of that, I'm guessing.

Izabella Your post is beautiful. We have been treated to a broad ribbon of mist rising from the sea shore. Whilst walking, I stopped to look at the lime tree twigs that were covered in wee droplets of glistening water. Nature never fails to delight.

ann Knowing that your huband is settling well into his new routine, must be a huge relief.

Willow That is one thoroughly pamperd dog. She is beautiful, as is her festive jumper.
As for rude customers...they should be banned. Just sayin'

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 13:18:52

Maw and corner I am so sorry to hear that you are both dealing with such sad news. flowers

My thoughts are also with dear Mr and Mrs Panache. I hope to goodness that someone in the know will step up to offer much-needed support.

grannyqueenie Sun 23-Dec-18 13:23:10

I, somewhat ill advisedly, dropped in and quickly thought better of it our W******e a few moments ago. I can confirm willow that all those folk you thought might be on the Yorkshire end of the A1 are in fact queuing in that very store and possibly have been there since yesterday! No sign of till aggression there, though that may have been connected to the large number of staff on queue management duties and the chocolates they were distributing to waiting customers!

Ann I’m so pleased you found your husband settled, that will chase away any lingering doubts you may have and releases you to enjoy the time you spend away from him with a clear conscience. x

greyduster I stand in awe of your veggie culinary efforts, I’d be tempted to be reaching for a Linda McCartney ready meal! ?

soop just looking at those photos and reading your words izabella I could feel my shoulders lowering and my spirit relaxing. Mind you that may all change shortly as dd2 and crew, including Pip the crazy pup are descending shortly for an impromptu visit! But, as I think they’re trying to make sure that we’re ok in the midst of some family worries, I am not complaining.

Right I’m off to gird my loins in preparation for those giddy girls and their pup! X

Baggs Sun 23-Dec-18 13:39:35

dragonfly, I'm glad the recipes by Rukmini Iyer are proving useful. I learnt something that's kind of connected yesterday. Asked MrB to get four large leeks on his way home. He bought four large leeks well past their best—leaves brown, inner leeks shrinking, root ends going brown and splitting. He said there were bags of nice fresh leeks but he didn't get those because I'd said large. In future I will specify the weight not the size (which I only did because I knew 4 large would be roughly the right amount). I forgot how literal MrB can be ?. Hey ho. I might have mentioned, patiently ?, that it's never a good idea to buy vegetables that aren't nice and fresh unless one's starving and there's nowt else.

Lovely moon pic, soop. I tried to take one too but it was no good.

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 13:47:34

Baggs the saga of the wilting leeks made me hoot. tchwink

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 13:54:09

I am sure that there must be something that needs my attention. Cannot for the life of me, think what it is.

It is a beautiful, sunny day. Chillier than I imagined. We had a good brisk-ish walk earlier today. It was lovely to return to our snug, wee hoos.

Umm...perhaps I could flick a duster aboot a bit. After that, I'll have earned a loll in my trusty chair. Sunday paper treat in store. I'm wondering...will there be uplifting news...a big ask, I agree.

Greyduster Sun 23-Dec-18 14:37:11

Maw I am so sorry to hear that, and similarly the news about your aunt, Corner. Sadly, season does not always bring us joy, as we too have found out this year. My warmest thoughts to both of you.

Soop Wow! to the beautiful photos and Izabella your ability to conjure up the landscapes so perfectly. The description of the mist reminded me of an early morning at Grainfoot, on The Lady, before the sun had a chance to burn off the mist and there were birds taking flight through it. I didn’t catch a thing that day, but that moment made up for it.

Gq I am glad to hear you are going to be up to your knees in giddy girls and their pups! What could be more guaranteed to put a smile on your face. And watch this space; Linda McCartney may be coming to our aid yet!!

Baggs they are a trial aren’t they, husbands??. I was about to trot down to the supermarket to buy some more onions and a butternut squash. DH said he would go. “What does the butternut thingie look like?” Google. Point him at it. “Okay, got that”, says he. He came back and pulled out of the bag ??? - a swede! “That’s not a butternut squash” I wailed. “Oh, is it not?” he said innocently and let me do my “what the hell am I supposed to do with that?” rant for a bit. Then he pulled out the BS, along with carrots and onions, which were on offer with the swede and much too good to refuse! He did say it was manic in there though and he was glad he could come through the ‘ten items or less’. He was only supposed to have three items, but I did not allow for the chocolate covered Brazil nuts or the large pack of KitKats!

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Dec-18 14:44:56

Greyduster I would be inclined to keep him I think but Baggs I would exchange yours for a more practical model.

My newish neighbours have just given me a present- I have not even bothered to write a card! All I have received to date are biscuits which I need like a hole in the head. I am a miserable git.

Greyduster Sun 23-Dec-18 15:08:06

Charley biscuits, too, have their place in the Great Plan of Life. You can look at them and feel a huge, satisfying sense of superiority when you DON’T eat them!! Of course, if you do eat them.......Hmm! Plan B!

Greyduster Sun 23-Dec-18 16:11:44

And I would lay you a pound to a penny that Baggs’ model is a hell of a lot more practical than mine!?

Panache Sun 23-Dec-18 16:36:13

A very hurried message to thank the band of absolute wonderful GN`s that have sent us messages, most with valuable suggestions and ways of attaining aid,I have been both overwhelmed and so very blessed to know that others whom hardly know me, show such great compassion.............two grateful hearts say THANK YOU.

My dear man is recoveriung slowly, but so very weak and the weight seems to have fallen off him,his speech has improved,whilst although he remains upbeat and cheerful ........he easily breaks down on seeing my attempts at coping.

Hopefully he will be home tomorrow.

I have had a food delivery and one elderly neighbour with invalid wife has been so very kind........I have phoned just about everyone under the sun and help remains distant.

Please don`t even ask after me?But do keep up the prayers.

Love to all especially those with great needs and heavy hearts at this time.

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 16:40:05

Greyduster Your dear husband certainly has a keen eye for a bargain. tchgrin

Greyduster I know that one very large box sitting near the tree is most def chocs. What to do? I am a chocolate addict. I always divert my attention when passing the shelves of such tempting goodies. I have asked MacSporran to take the box into the loft (where he has a man den). He refuses. Saying, it wouldn't seem right to enjoy a choc all alone. It's so much better when we share. tchconfused I'm betwixt a rock and a hard place. tchhmm

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 16:42:57

Panache There is no way that us lot will not ask after you and your dear husband. I find the situation that you are attempting to deal with unforgivable and intolerable

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 16:47:52

Bless me! We are very close to needing a new kitchen. I shall tidy this one first. Us lot have standards to maintain. I shall gather together all our favourite chairs and cushions and fill a hamper with festive cheer. I promise not to leave until the door to our new venue is open. I wouldn't forgive myself if any of you found that the welcome mat had been moved elsewhere.

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 16:49:35

Not going too far. Time to make Tabitha's den inviting. Still no sign of her.

Nannytopsy Sun 23-Dec-18 17:39:53

So glad to hear from you Panache. I do have some young friends in the Roch area. Is that anywhere near to you?
What colour will we be this time Soop? Here are sausage rolls and some chocolate things with apricots, prunes and brandy to celebrate the opening of the new kitchen.

Greyduster Sun 23-Dec-18 17:43:17

Lordie! That came round quickly! See you all in the new one!

Willow500 Sun 23-Dec-18 17:46:52

Panache thoughts are with you - I'm so pleased you've had a food delivery and your neighbour has an eye out for you. Fingers crossed Mr P is home tomorrow - have the hospital insisted he has help in place in order to let him leave? The emotional breakdowns I believe are one of the side effects of a stroke but will hopefully subside as he gets home.

It's very sad for those struggling with family members who are so ill especially at this time of the year.

Soop I've taken the tree and decorations out ready to put back up in the new kitchen when the doors open. I do hope there isn't a stampede to get in and bag the best seats by the fire. I've also made chocolate chip and fudge pieces buns ready to go with the coffee and hot chocolate. I think we possibly need more chairs too!

Hope Tabitha returns tonight - she doesn't know what she's missing.

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 17:55:18

Well, do you have a special request for the new kitchen colours, or is it fine and dandy to mix'n' match? As long as each and every one of you feel "at home" I am more than ☺

Baggs Sun 23-Dec-18 18:00:15

I think you might lose that bet, gd! ?

soop Sun 23-Dec-18 18:00:16

Tabitha is a feline with her own agenda. She. Has survived by being self sufficient. She is a free spirit. She will know that, should her rations run low, there is always a meal ready and waiting inside her chalet.

Baggs Sun 23-Dec-18 18:03:10

Hugs for panache and anyone else in dire straits xx ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion