Gransnet forums

Chat

China lament

(112 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:11:03

Many years ago I worked in the China department of a large posh store. I loved it. I loved our stock. Spode, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Crown Derby etc etc. It was expensive but you knew it was good quality. People would come in and choose their 'wedding china' to be added to over the years.
Anyway, to get to the point, today in TKMaxx I found Spode and Portmeirion plates and bowls. I was surprised but when I picked them up they were thick and heavy. A too thick glassy glaze. Apparently, the old designs have been bought up by the Chinese and they are mass producing these crude versions completely legally. I feel sorry for young people who really won't be able to recognise good quality if their experience is based on this sort of thing. Sad old fart rant over.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 13:40:38

My second link is for a UK site, I think Chewbacca

Oh, I could do this all day, search china sites …..
but Christmas cards to write, wise men to knit, dinner to cook.

Juggernaut Sun 02-Dec-18 13:46:47

Chewbacca
Have a look at ebay, there are lots of dinner plates there!

SueDonim Sun 02-Dec-18 13:51:20

For those of you who are sad that young people don't have any interest in nice China, my daughter requested a tea service for her 21st birthday! Her friends all love nice china, too, so the tradition is still alive. smile

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 13:55:45

I've just put in an offer on a dinner plate on eBay. Fingers crossed.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 14:08:08

uncross fingers when washing up though

Stansgran Sun 02-Dec-18 14:36:13

I've just bought on gumtree a royal Doulton Plate. I have a set of 8 or rather had as one had a chip and then disappeared I know not where. I'm absolutely delighted as we use these every day and they go in the dishwasher . I'd been looking on chinasearch for a while to no avail. And I have my grandmother's and mother's China which I enjoy using. They are getting fragile and need handwashing

inishowen Sun 02-Dec-18 14:55:28

I have a blue Denby coffee set with tiny cups. I never use it but can't just give it to a charity shop. I also have crystal glasses and decanters which don't go in the dishwasher, therefore are not ever used. These were expensive in their day and now they are not wanted by the younger generation.

lemongrove Sun 02-Dec-18 14:57:11

Lovely Stansgran smile
Wow Chewy what a fantastic bargain! They look amazing on your cream dresser too.
Iam I don’t think it’s crass at all to display your china in a display cabinet if you want to.
I only have some pieces on a dresser and I do use them now and again, mainly R Doulton ‘Carnation’ or R Worcester.

Mapleleaf Sun 02-Dec-18 16:04:18

Your display of China looks lovely, chew, and Iam, take pride in displaying your China, too. It’s not at all crass.
I’ve got two ‘best’ services, one was my Mums, the other an engagement and wedding present from my brother. They come out for special occasions, such as Christmas, but for every day it’s Denby ‘Regency Green’.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:28:18

Here's my collection of blue and white transfer ware. I have been picking it up in junk shops for years. I only paid abouMt 10p for most items. Much of it is damaged in some way. Its not usable. Nobody wanted it in the 70s and 80s. I love it!!

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 16:37:26

That looks very chic Jane10! Nice idea to hang some on the side wall too.

David1968 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:46:51

Ooh Jane10, I'm eyeing up your little dishes here..... (Or are they saucers? I'd still use them!) What lovely items you have on display.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:00:02

I'm glad you like them David1968. Very few of them would be usable due to various cracks and glaze problems. I suspect that after I'm gone DD will just pack it in a skip!

watermeadow Sun 02-Dec-18 17:29:21

I loved my wedding dinner service and still love it. I’ve added lots of bits and pieces over the years. It’s Wedgewood’s Ice Rose, very 1970s but simple and beautiful.
None of my children will want it when I die.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:33:44

If it's crass to display it in a china cabinet then so am I crassgrin
I am a granny …..

mcem Sun 02-Dec-18 18:01:59

Just working my way through this thread and stopped in my tracks at chewbacca's dresser! Zoomed in and realised this was my gran's China but didn't know the name. All I remember is wondering why there was a slug in the middle of my plate! Would love to see a close-up to find out if I imagined that!
DS and DiL chose a modern Royal Doulton China pattern but until the extension is built, can't really use it.
Although it's a different design it's exactly the same subtle grey/ blue shade as my teaset - engagement present from the in-laws in 1967! (Aegean pattern)
They've expressed interest so can have it as an extension-warming present next year.

GrandmaMoira Sun 02-Dec-18 18:13:12

Nephews and nieces in different branches of my family have requested bone china pieces in their wedding lists so I believe many young people still like to have a special set but they usually want something plain, not the heavily patterned ornate sets that used to be common.

Brunette10 Sun 02-Dec-18 18:24:01

Jane10 - so lovely.

labazs1964 Sun 02-Dec-18 18:33:59

i run a charity shop and we get the most lovely china in odd plates or saucers etc but there is little interest in it. i have a huge box of cups and saucers donated the other day but no interest so in desperation i have reduced each pair to 25p each people buy them for candles christmas floral arrangements etc. i have two complete 1950s coffee sets no interest in them either

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 18:54:30

Here's a close up of Tree of Kashmir mcem. Please don't tell me there's a slug on it! Eurgh! grin

Blondiescot Sun 02-Dec-18 19:28:07

We received a beautiful Royal Doulton dinner set as a wedding present (34 years ago and counting!) and I'm ashamed to say it's never seen the light of day and is still in its packing case. I've no idea what to do with it - any suggestions, should I sell it?

mcem Sun 02-Dec-18 19:53:09

Thank you chewbacca. I' m happy to say I see nothing that resembles a slug!
Obviously my overheated imagination as a child!
Definitely gran's China and I had forgotten it until you reminded me.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 19:55:48

Blondie use it? You might as well.

Fennel Sun 02-Dec-18 20:13:12

I have lots of Indian Tree, or Tree of Kashmir. We use it nearly every day. Various sizes of plates, plus dishes big and small, gravy boat etc. It's easy to replace from ebay.
The old stuff - when I was trying to get rid of my parent's china there was one tea set of see-through porcelain, but no-one wanted it. Too fragile.
Sadly I think it all went to the bins.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 20:24:47

Yay! I won the eBay bid on the replacement plate for Midwinter Invitation! Set complete again! grin