Gransnet forums

Chat

China lament

(112 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:11:03

Many years ago I worked in the China department of a large posh store. I loved it. I loved our stock. Spode, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Crown Derby etc etc. It was expensive but you knew it was good quality. People would come in and choose their 'wedding china' to be added to over the years.
Anyway, to get to the point, today in TKMaxx I found Spode and Portmeirion plates and bowls. I was surprised but when I picked them up they were thick and heavy. A too thick glassy glaze. Apparently, the old designs have been bought up by the Chinese and they are mass producing these crude versions completely legally. I feel sorry for young people who really won't be able to recognise good quality if their experience is based on this sort of thing. Sad old fart rant over.

crystaltipps Tue 04-Dec-18 07:47:01

You would love the ceramic galleries in the V and A, they have so many different types and patterns from different eras. I’m not into bone China but I do have a set of Midwinter Sienna, which is now very retro , I also like some J Meakin Studio of the 60s/70s which has some very evocative patterns.

Jane10 Tue 04-Dec-18 07:32:03

I don't worry. I generally just use it. All except items with overglaze gold can go in the dishwasher. I don't mind hand washing crystal glasses.

GabriellaG Tue 04-Dec-18 01:07:59

Lilypops
I asked because I wondered how often it was used ie: what occasion warranted using a 'best' set of china.
I'm sure it's admired by your friends but it seems mad to me, unless one has friends to tea several times a week. Many GNers have mentioned their 'best' china as being boxed and rarely, if ever, used and that, IMO, is a waste of good money. Who buys a sofa but doesn't sit on it, a pretty vase which is hidden inside a cabinet, expensive clothes worn but once a year? You get the gist.
The faff of handwashing a large dinner service is akin to buying clothes you can only handwash and you can't trust anyone else to do it, always watching the Waterford crystal or expensive china in case someone chips it. Do you really want the worry? grin

Juggernaut Mon 03-Dec-18 21:20:50

Chewbacca
We were out at an 'Antique' barn place today and what did I spot? A full set of Tree of Kashmir, 49 pieces in all, priced at £89! I was sorely tempted, but truly have no space left, so regretfully left it theresad
We're starting to think about downsizing, shhhh, don't tell DH, my heart's just not in it!

allsortsofbags Mon 03-Dec-18 15:06:54

I too find it sad that some really wonderful quality china and glass ware are no longer used as a matter of course and I find it even sadder that those beautiful items have virtually no value. And I miss the shops that sell them :-(

I love good china, we are on our second Wedgewood dinner service, first was Midwinter and now we have Eden and I love it,
it's not fine china but still ...

I know it's out of production now but I think I have some of everything they made lol.

When I renewed out contents insurance a few years ago the company wanted estimations of the value of items in different rooms, going through their check list I put my Wedgewood replacement value in. Ha. One snotty phone call from them, lots of emailed photo's from me and they had to agree with my estimate.

Thing is on three separate occasions we have had two homes at the same time and I didn't want to have different sets once we settled in one place, which we have done now we are retired.

Both girls have white and aren't bothered about our service but who knows.

We have always used our sets every day but these days the 2 full tea services and the coffee set are in the loft along with other spare bits.

We do have 1 of the 3 tea pots (DH loves teapots lol) and the coffee pot are in the kitchen and used fairly regularly.

And thankfully it all goes in the dishwasher grin

Rufus2 Mon 03-Dec-18 09:32:32

. I've no idea what to do with it - any suggestions, should I sell it?
Blondiescot; No way! Take it with you.!
Before you reach your final resting place instruct the family to place it by your side in the casket. Then if you've chosen the crem. route of departure then it will get a second firing. If a hole in the ground, think of the excitement when a group of uni. students carries out an archeological "dig" on behalf of a TV doc. to discover which "dynasty" they came from. The only downside will be a carbon-dating on your bones, then everyone will know how old you actually were! sad I know which route to follow! Good Health. tchgrin

Blinko Mon 03-Dec-18 08:22:09

Should have said, it was a wedding present. that'll be 50 years on 4th January next year!

Blinko Mon 03-Dec-18 08:21:33

We still have a part set of (I think it's called) Royal Albert Doulton china. It has a gold rim. It has never been used and is packed away in a box. So sad, really. I am inspired by this thread to look on ebay - maybe I can sell it.

Lilypops Sun 02-Dec-18 22:35:57

Gabriella , my definition of best is. Best,!! I use my country roses when friends come for tea, or drop in for a cuppa , I wouldn't use it every day, it may get broken and I certainly wouldn't put it in the dishwasher,, Why do you ask ?

Auntieflo Sun 02-Dec-18 21:44:28

I inherited my aunt’s tea set of Royal Albert, “Sunflower” design. It was so pretty, and I loved the beautiful tea pot. Unfortunately there was one cup missing, but I eventually found one in a junk shop. I have never seen the design before or since.
I think I only used it once when entertaining some elderly ladies from Church.
A couple of years ago I sold it to a company that I found on line, as it was never used it and I knew my children would not want to have it.
We use mostly blue and white china, all mismatched, but I am very fond of it.

NoddingGanGan Sun 02-Dec-18 21:13:47

I have a Royal Doulton set called Minerva that I use everyday. Also a Wedgewood set called Raspberry Cane which is now very dated indeed, 1970s/80s, which is boxed up because I lent it to DD1 when she went to uni but now she has a house of her own and she and her partner don't like it so back it came. I should get rid of it I know, but I still quite like it, I just don't have room to have it out in cupboards since I down sized. Both the above are from the cheaper ranges of their respective manufacturers and happily go in the dishwasher. (At least they went in the dishwasher when I had one! grin)
I do also have a full set of Royal Doulton Sarabande which won't go in the dishwasher as it has a silver band around the edge. So that sits in the sideboard and never comes out, sadly. It did used to come out at Christmas and Easter and for people's birthdays and whenever we had a "proper" dinner party but the fact that it has to be hand washed was a bit of drag. I thought it was worth it though so did it happily, even though ex H grumbled like anything!
Alas it won't come out this year either as, like last year, I'll be working on Christmas day and certainly won't feel like doing a lot of hand dish washing after dinner and DD2 will be cooking in my absence so not asking her to do it either.
I also have a small set, just four place settings, of Royal Worcestershire Evesham Gold. Which I do use from time to time as it's a bit more robust than the Royal Doulton Sarabande. I love china, I really do.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 20:24:47

Yay! I won the eBay bid on the replacement plate for Midwinter Invitation! Set complete again! grin

Fennel Sun 02-Dec-18 20:13:12

I have lots of Indian Tree, or Tree of Kashmir. We use it nearly every day. Various sizes of plates, plus dishes big and small, gravy boat etc. It's easy to replace from ebay.
The old stuff - when I was trying to get rid of my parent's china there was one tea set of see-through porcelain, but no-one wanted it. Too fragile.
Sadly I think it all went to the bins.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 19:55:48

Blondie use it? You might as well.

mcem Sun 02-Dec-18 19:53:09

Thank you chewbacca. I' m happy to say I see nothing that resembles a slug!
Obviously my overheated imagination as a child!
Definitely gran's China and I had forgotten it until you reminded me.

Blondiescot Sun 02-Dec-18 19:28:07

We received a beautiful Royal Doulton dinner set as a wedding present (34 years ago and counting!) and I'm ashamed to say it's never seen the light of day and is still in its packing case. I've no idea what to do with it - any suggestions, should I sell it?

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 18:54:30

Here's a close up of Tree of Kashmir mcem. Please don't tell me there's a slug on it! Eurgh! grin

labazs1964 Sun 02-Dec-18 18:33:59

i run a charity shop and we get the most lovely china in odd plates or saucers etc but there is little interest in it. i have a huge box of cups and saucers donated the other day but no interest so in desperation i have reduced each pair to 25p each people buy them for candles christmas floral arrangements etc. i have two complete 1950s coffee sets no interest in them either

Brunette10 Sun 02-Dec-18 18:24:01

Jane10 - so lovely.

GrandmaMoira Sun 02-Dec-18 18:13:12

Nephews and nieces in different branches of my family have requested bone china pieces in their wedding lists so I believe many young people still like to have a special set but they usually want something plain, not the heavily patterned ornate sets that used to be common.

mcem Sun 02-Dec-18 18:01:59

Just working my way through this thread and stopped in my tracks at chewbacca's dresser! Zoomed in and realised this was my gran's China but didn't know the name. All I remember is wondering why there was a slug in the middle of my plate! Would love to see a close-up to find out if I imagined that!
DS and DiL chose a modern Royal Doulton China pattern but until the extension is built, can't really use it.
Although it's a different design it's exactly the same subtle grey/ blue shade as my teaset - engagement present from the in-laws in 1967! (Aegean pattern)
They've expressed interest so can have it as an extension-warming present next year.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:33:44

If it's crass to display it in a china cabinet then so am I crassgrin
I am a granny …..

watermeadow Sun 02-Dec-18 17:29:21

I loved my wedding dinner service and still love it. I’ve added lots of bits and pieces over the years. It’s Wedgewood’s Ice Rose, very 1970s but simple and beautiful.
None of my children will want it when I die.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:00:02

I'm glad you like them David1968. Very few of them would be usable due to various cracks and glaze problems. I suspect that after I'm gone DD will just pack it in a skip!

David1968 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:46:51

Ooh Jane10, I'm eyeing up your little dishes here..... (Or are they saucers? I'd still use them!) What lovely items you have on display.