Gransnet forums

Chat

is it " virtue signalling" or just a good thing?

(200 Posts)
PECS Wed 05-Dec-18 09:26:50

Some schools are suggesting donations to the town foodbank rather than gifts for teachers...

Ilovecheese Wed 05-Dec-18 15:03:41

While I agree with the sentiment of donating to food banks, it is a kind and generous thing to do. I don't like the way we are accepting foodbanks as a normal part of our society. They should not be needed in a rich country like ours.

Asking parents to choose between a gift for the teacher or donation to a food bank could increase this sort of 'normalisation' of food banks.

On the other hand, the more donations the better, it is a tricky problem.

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:10:15

Atm foodbanks are part of what passes for normal in this society of ours so we have no option. And for certain Tory MPs they provide the most wonderful photo opp - what’s not to like?

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:23:41

It's not just in this country, though, so perhaps before the safety net of food banks people went hungry.
And more food was wasted.

Funny world.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:44:58

I guess we are all old enough to remember the European butter mountain and wine lake, that was criminal.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Dec-18 15:48:41

Yes indeed, GrannyGravy. I signed on in the fortnight between my post-A level Summer job finishing and my college course starting. It turned out the only thing I was entitled to was a handful of butter tokens. smile

MagicWriter2016 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:49:56

Great idea if it is done in a sensitive way, so that families who may be struggling don’t feel like either a charity case or that they have to give something they can ill afford. And yes, you usually find those with the least the most generous. Maybe it’s because they empathise more easily with others in a similar position.

PECS Wed 05-Dec-18 15:54:53

Schools do regularly raise funds or collect items for charities all year round. I have been the recipient of a great variety of gifts and cards, bought and home made, over my 40plus years working in schools . I have two still in my possession. A cross stitch book mark and a small vase & card from a lovely family who were delighted that I had included Hanukah traditions in the December celebrations so that Zoe felt included. I tried to explain that it was normal for me to do so along with Divali celebrations but it had obviously meant a lot to them! My DD is also a primary school teacher and is most likely to shed a tear over kind words of appreciation in a card than another 'best teacher' mug, no matter how kindly it was meant!

I only used the phrase 'virtue signalling' because so often choices to act in a positive way are dismissed by the phrase
virtue signalling. I suspect it was a phrase invented deliberately to undermine good deeds, by mean hearted folk!

mcem Wed 05-Dec-18 16:11:48

Gabriella - unfortunately hungry families and food banks are not fallacies or fantasies.
I am sure the vast majority of teachers would gladly forego the gifts if they could see increased donations to local foodbanks.
If only we could all dismiss this awful Government -imposed crisis as fallacy!

PECS Wed 05-Dec-18 16:30:55

This trend , particularly in the private schools sector, though not exclusively, to buy gifts that are far more than a token is ridiculous. Sadly we live in an age where some people see wealth as your 'worth' rather than your actions.
I see another school in the Wirral area I think has banned the wearing of branded coats to try to stop 'poverty shaming'!
What are parents doing to youngsters so they instill in them the need to show off wealth?

silverlining48 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:32:39

At my gcs state primary there is a ‘ voluntary’ ( but oh so obligatory ) payment of £25 per child for teachers’ Christmas gifts. That’s £50 for her two small children. When they tried to ‘ get away’ with £15 they were chased up to pay the balance.
A lot of food could be purchased with that sort of money. Not sure the teachers would be prepared to forego this largesse though. Do the maths. Every year it makes me angry.

Grannybags Wed 05-Dec-18 16:39:17

silverlining that's awful! angry

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:55:07

That’s truly awful silver Who on earth encourages this? The staff could just stop it if they wanted - how can they live with themselves?

silverlining48 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:25:42

Indeed, it is awful. £25 x 30 in each class equals a massive gift voucher. No wonder teachers come out on last day of term smiling. it’s a very churchy church school too....

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:32:43

Maybe someone should write anonymously to the Bishop and point out that there are parents who can’t afford this and a story in the local paper wouldn’t be a good look?

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:33:39

Oh and maybe HMRC need to know

notanan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:36:01

I suspect it was a phrase invented deliberately to undermine good deeds, by mean hearted folk

No its not its a very real thing but it's not really applicable in this context

janeainsworth Wed 05-Dec-18 17:37:35

Let’s hope the teachers are declaring their little bonuses to Her Majesty’s Inspector of Taxes, silverlining shock
Perhaps some public spirited parent should bring this practice to HMRC’s attention!

janeainsworth Wed 05-Dec-18 17:38:23

Crossed posts maryeliza

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 17:44:24

The problem is not is that it is often used inappropriately and very unkindly and would be best not used at all

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 18:01:52

Go on silver I double dare you - mention the tax issue as well to the Bishop ( or whoever the head honcho is) and say that you do so hope that there wouldn’t also be a NIC liability arising for both the school and the teachers because again, you know, Bish, that wouldn’t be a good look either. But a really good look would be to stop the practice forthwith and have a collection for the local food bank. Love from a friendx

Aepgirl Wed 05-Dec-18 18:20:53

Great idea. So much of what teachers are given ends up as presents for others or given to raffles, etc.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 05-Dec-18 18:36:12

Good heavens silver that is unreal! Yes the Bish needs to be told and it needs to stop! A word to the papers too, what an awful practice .... I really do wonder about 'religion' at times ....

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Dec-18 18:39:43

£25 per child, silver? That is outrageous.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 18:47:28

What about bringing the matter up with the governors. There are parent governors on the board, they could be the best ones to approach.

Daisyboots Wed 05-Dec-18 19:22:59

Wow! £25 per child! A very nice bonus for some teachers them. Back in the late 70s our generous boss (not teaching) gave all the staff a fresh turkey for Christmas and the taxman said we had to pay tax on it.