Gransnet forums

Chat

is it " virtue signalling" or just a good thing?

(200 Posts)
PECS Wed 05-Dec-18 09:26:50

Some schools are suggesting donations to the town foodbank rather than gifts for teachers...

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 11:51:59

Delete setting

notanan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 11:53:16

Im glad to say this business of collections bypassed me completely.

We gave gifts to the teachers who really deserved some extra appreciation and not to the others. Nobody knew either way & no pressure. Other parents dont know what you did/didnt give unless you tell them

dragonfly46 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:00:30

It is the first time I have heard the expression 'virtue signalling"!

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:01:45

It has frequently been thrown around on GN in the past and always perjoritively

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:03:56

I think this is an excellent idea. If a box is set up, say in the reception area, no-one need know whether or not a child has brought in a donation or not or what the food donation cost. A text or email could be sent suggesting this and indicating the type of donations needed at this time of year.
The children could then bring in a nice card for their teacher.

The DGD's school did this for their Harvest Festival and people brought in what they could afford - there was a table full of donated goods which all went to a local Food Bank.

My friend said she knew that many of the parents couldn't really afford the presents they sent in for her and, quite honestly, she didn't need them. Most of them she passed on for raffles for other charity causes.

notanan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:15:32

I think this is an excellent idea.

A food bank collection is always a good idea

But it doesnt at all serve the same purpose as teacher gifts.

We give (or the kids make) a little sonething to acknowledge those who went above and beyond for my kids. I would still want to give a token of appreciation to those individuals.

But as I said there were no collections. My kids made them a book mark or a christmas decoration etc, that sort of thing.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:16:12

I don’t like the idea of money in envelopes - i think it should be items suitable for food bank

I agree maryeliza, having money donated would also mean just one more task for the teaching staff to organise at a very busy time of the term.

Niobe Wed 05-Dec-18 12:22:59

The best gift I ever had as a teacher was a card from a parent telling me how much his son enjoyed my class and thanking me for my efforts. Teachers are professionals and want to be treated as such. They do not need gifts from their pupils.
Encouraging the children to donate to a food bank is an excellent idea.

Sarahmob Wed 05-Dec-18 12:42:56

As a semi-retired teacher I think this is a great idea. The thought behind each gift of smellies you know you’ll never use and chocolates you end up giving to neighbours with children is lovely and knowing that the same thought could help somebody else would be just as nice. My best ever ‘teacher gift’ was some wrapped up plastic animals from a child’s farm set! All they had to give and received in love.

notanan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:45:49

My best ever ‘teacher gift’ was some wrapped up plastic animals from a child’s farm set! All they had to give and received in love.

That's just the cutest thing Ive heard (/read) all week!

Nannapat1 Wed 05-Dec-18 12:48:14

An assumption that parents are going to buy teachers gifts! I don't approve of the letters sent out by the few parents, requesting quite large sums to buy a group gift for staff (as has happened in my DGD's school: not everyone can afford to even if they want to) Deciding to give a gift to whomever should be a personal decision, not one prompted by others.

Theoddbird Wed 05-Dec-18 12:48:33

I think it is a wonderful idea....more schools should adopt it....

MawBroon Wed 05-Dec-18 13:05:15

Excellent suggestion !

JenniferEccles Wed 05-Dec-18 13:15:18

This is such a good idea. I bet teachers feel quite uncomfortable with all the gifts they are presented with each Christmas.

A card signed by the child but with perhaps a 'thank you' message from the mother however would be very well received, as well as the food bank donation.

Let us know how you get on with your DGC school Gilly

Barmeyoldbat Wed 05-Dec-18 13:36:15

What a great idea and I am going to extend it to my 5 teenage gc by giving a big donation to the local food bank instead of Christmas presents. They have everything others have nothing.

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 13:45:02

Oh I couldn’t do that Barmy. Maybe spend less on them if necessary but I love choosing something for them.

lemongrove Wed 05-Dec-18 13:52:48

hmm sure about that Barmy?
Teenagers do have feelings you know!

I think the school’s idea is a good one, if there is a central collection point ( a huge box) where goods can be dropped in, and not have to be taken into class.
WI’s are all doing a food item/ toiletries collection this month ( all WI’s as far as I know.) Our church always does one, also a toy service where a new small toy is handed over and given to The Salvation Army to distribute.
Teachers don’t want or need 20 small boxes of chocs.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 13:56:50

I love choosing something for them.
Not sure about the choosing myself (what do they want??) but I love giving to them and they love buying or making little presents to give to us too.

They also like taking items into school and raising money for good causes too.
One doesn't preclude the other.

GabriellaG Wed 05-Dec-18 14:25:25

a learning tool?
Heaven's sake. Christmas is a fantasy affair anyway. Even if you believe in the fantasy, the story, Dec 25th was not the date that religious historians allude to as the date JC was born and giving was not part of the creed he is purported to espouse. They are both man-made fallacies.

Rosina Wed 05-Dec-18 14:41:50

I think he made a few remarks along the lines of 'What you do for the least of my people, you do for me', and also the statement about it being easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. Both would suggest that being tight fisted is not a Christian attitude. Just saying....

maryeliza54 Wed 05-Dec-18 14:49:07

Jal mine are 8 and 4, live very close and we see them at least twice a week so it’s very easy to chose what I know they’d love.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 14:49:24

Gabriella
giving was not part of the creed he is purported to espouse.
Believe or not, it could be a creed by which to live:

Luke 3:10-11 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

and, of course:
“It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 14:52:00

maryeliza I know what one loves but the other one is getting to an awkward age hmm
The others are too far away to post much now, so money and mum decides.

paddyann Wed 05-Dec-18 14:57:35

the past few years my GC have made small christmas cakes as teachers gifts ,they come to me and we make the cake,I feed if for a few weeks and they come to decorate just before the end of term.The cakes are usually shared by all the staff in the staffroom and they are happy to have something homemade.They cost around £5 a cake

Our schools collect for foodbanks all year round and the Harvest service food all goes there too .The children are aware that there are many less fortunate than them in the area .The letter home for foodbank donations said they would be delighted to have some selection boxes and christmas food included and as the boxes will be going out on Christmas eve fresh fruit would be accepted .

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 14:59:56

^ as the boxes will be going out on Christmas eve fresh fruit would be accepted^
That's good; usually they won't take fresh food of any kind so I'm glad they are making an exception for Christmas.