Gransnet forums

Chat

Something a bit wooo just happened

(141 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 05-Dec-18 14:31:00

Any thoughts on what could have caused this....

Went to bed at about 11 o'clock last night; nothing out of the ordinary. Woke about 02.30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up, came downstairs and made a cup of tea. I sat in the living room and browsed GN (and even posted on a games thread) whilst I drank tea and went back to bed at about 03.30. Got up this morning and went back in the living room and I immediately noticed that a small ornament of a hare, which had sat quite comfortably on the mantlepiece for 10 years or more, was lying shattered on the floor. It was in fragments. I couldn't understand how it could have happened because I know that it was not like that at 03.30; I'd have noticed immediately. Whilst I was clearing it up, I looked at the cuckoo clock hanging on the wall. It was ticking, as normal, but the hands were at half past six. I went over to the clock to put the hands to the right time but both hands just swung back down loosely to half past six again. Several times it did that. I eventually managed to get the hands to the correct time and they've stayed that way since. But I didn't touch the clock before going to bed last night and can't understand why both hands would suddenly become loosened overnight.

Although both of these occurrences aren't particularly important, I'm mystified as to what on earth went on in my living room between half 3 and half 6 this morning. I don't normally believe in wooo, but I'm a bit hmm about this. Any ideas GNetters?

Doodle Wed 05-Dec-18 19:17:01

Been on the poteen chewy? Casting no doubts on your story of course ?

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 22:34:41

Dates of earthquakes:
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

Of course, the earth does go round, it could have just slid off as we went round a corner.

#flatearthsociety

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 22:36:26

oh, I see that Elegran had already posted the list of earthquakes!

Fracking?
Ooh, worrying!!

Chewbacca Wed 05-Dec-18 23:05:43

Just back from an evening out and the clock is still ticking and it's fingers are where they should be.
Think I'm too far away from the fracking site (I agree that frack sounds like an excellent expletive and could be used judicially).
No, lemon Harold wasn't the ugly bronze hare; regrettably, I'd have been chuffed to bits to find that one in smithereens! Sod's Law meant that it was the rather noble hare that I rather liked.

I'm going to go with Jalima's conclusion that the earth went round in the wrong gear and everything fell off my mantlepiece. It's as sane an explanation as any other! grin

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Dec-18 23:28:05

grin

NannyJan53 Thu 06-Dec-18 07:47:56

Sometimes things happen we can just not explain.

My Mum has had about 3 incidents, in the last couple of years, where she is sitting in the living room and hears an almighty crash in the kitchen. She goes in and there is nothing that has seemingly moved or fallen. Then within a couple of days she receives bad news, within the wider family.

So now if it happens, she says....I am going to receive some bad news. Up to now, she has. confused

It is one of life's mysteries.

Anja Thu 06-Dec-18 07:52:54

The temperature plunged suddenly and caused the china hare to crack and the metal on the clock to contract?

Anniebach Thu 06-Dec-18 09:12:23

Not always an explanation for a woooo, I have experienced a few, just accept them.

Rufus2 Thu 06-Dec-18 09:35:14

Make me feel a bit more sane?
Chewbacca: Why? You seem happy enough as you are! Half your luck! tchgrin

Chewbacca Thu 06-Dec-18 09:43:03

Cheers Rufus! I think tchgrin

Theoddbird Thu 06-Dec-18 09:48:40

Things happen that there is no explaination for. We should never just dismiss these things. There is a reason for everything. The mind is amazing....the things it can do are responsible for much of what can't be explained...

Grampie Thu 06-Dec-18 09:53:53

That knurled nut that holds the clock hands against their spindles had gradually loosened and you witnessed the consequences of not tightening it from time to time.

My routine is to check its tightness when putting clocks forward or backward every six months.

I can’t help with your ornament’s breakage although a mouse running across your mantelpiece is my number one suspect.

Anniebach Thu 06-Dec-18 09:55:55

Theoddbird. You believe the mind can move something from a third shelf to the top shelf of a bookcase?

wot Thu 06-Dec-18 09:56:13

Dont you think it could have been something paranormal??

wot Thu 06-Dec-18 09:57:55

A bit shallow to dismiss the possibility of things we don't yet understand?

shysal Thu 06-Dec-18 09:58:32

Some years ago I had a woo moment. One evening after watching Uri Geller (the spoon bender) on TV, I discovered that the hands of my watch had bent double inside the glass! The damage was beyond repair as they broke when I removed it from its cover to straighten them. Fortunately it wasn't a vastly expensive watch, just a Swatch if I remember rightly. Can anyone offer an explanation for this occurence?

Rosieroe Thu 06-Dec-18 09:59:12

Best call Yvette Fielding. ?

Rufus2 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:08:31

mouse running across your mantelpiece
Grampie; Of course! That's it! The hare gave chase to the mouse, tripped and fell off the mantelpiece! There can be no other rational explanation! tchgrin

Megs36 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:12:10

We used to live on a busy road and traffic vibration 'moved ' things sometimes.

valeriej43 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:13:22

I have had experiences like this, sound of something crashing and sound like something heavy sliding down a wall, thought that was my indoor aerial in the loft, but son looked and it hadnt moved
Another occasion, i had hung a shirt of my sons on some antlers i had on the wall in my ding room come bedroom, as son had to cpme back home for a while, so bed in there as other rooms taken
Heard a crash, went in the room, and antlers were on the floor, and shirt on bed neatly folded
Didnt bother me as things happen in this house,no one else in at that time,only me
I could tell lots of things similiar

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:13:59

A naughty poltergeist

valeriej43 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:14:28

Dining room not ding

mischief Thu 06-Dec-18 10:14:35

I've had a similar 'wooo' moment. I put my old house on the market this year and shortly afterwards I was woken up at 2.30am by a loud bang outside my bedroom door. When I went to look, the long mirror on the landing had dropped onto the floor and was lying on it's side, unbroken. I didn't really think anything of it but the next night one of my bedside light shades, which is made of metal, dropped onto the bedside table with a crash.

I thought maybe the house was giving me the message that it didn't want me to move. shock So I told it that if it could find a way for me to win the lottery, I wouldn't move. grin I'm still waiting.

LuckyFour Thu 06-Dec-18 10:17:59

GN games thread?? I didn't know there was such a thing. I'm going there right now!

knickas63 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:22:01

My Wooo moment lasted a whole year! Nearly 30 years ago!. I used to take my rings off at night and put them on a bookcase shelf in the bedroom. One day I went to put them on the next morning, and my engagement ring was gone! We tore the entire room upside down looking for it. Nothing! After a month, we claimed and hubby bought me an eternity ring. Almost a year later, same routine, I was putting my rings back on. Eternity ring, engagement ring, dress ring. I remember standing stock still. Looking at my rings. I took them off, put them on the shelf. Put them back on again and looked once more. Then I screamed for my husband! We still to this day cannot explain it! I do know that my grandmother liked playing tricks. She used to hide things from my dad, just to annoy him! (They didn't get on and she lived with us) I can't help feeling it was her.