Gransnet forums

Chat

Something a bit wooo just happened

(141 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 05-Dec-18 14:31:00

Any thoughts on what could have caused this....

Went to bed at about 11 o'clock last night; nothing out of the ordinary. Woke about 02.30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up, came downstairs and made a cup of tea. I sat in the living room and browsed GN (and even posted on a games thread) whilst I drank tea and went back to bed at about 03.30. Got up this morning and went back in the living room and I immediately noticed that a small ornament of a hare, which had sat quite comfortably on the mantlepiece for 10 years or more, was lying shattered on the floor. It was in fragments. I couldn't understand how it could have happened because I know that it was not like that at 03.30; I'd have noticed immediately. Whilst I was clearing it up, I looked at the cuckoo clock hanging on the wall. It was ticking, as normal, but the hands were at half past six. I went over to the clock to put the hands to the right time but both hands just swung back down loosely to half past six again. Several times it did that. I eventually managed to get the hands to the correct time and they've stayed that way since. But I didn't touch the clock before going to bed last night and can't understand why both hands would suddenly become loosened overnight.

Although both of these occurrences aren't particularly important, I'm mystified as to what on earth went on in my living room between half 3 and half 6 this morning. I don't normally believe in wooo, but I'm a bit hmm about this. Any ideas GNetters?

Granless Fri 07-Dec-18 09:01:06

For the record, Keith was Auntie’s nephew ? who lived with her. Apparently other ‘strange things’ had happened in the cottage. When it was sold, after Aunt’s death, the couple who bought it didn’t stay long - they said that it was haunted.

OoohDear Fri 07-Dec-18 22:17:43

Yesterday I heard a Big Bang upstairs that sounded like someone jumped from the loft hatch, scared me silly, went to investigate, not a thing out of place, including the loft hatch, and no sign of the ‘person’ that jumped. It’s really put the willies up me.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Dec-18 22:19:11

grin not sure how to respond to that OoohDear! grin

OoohDear Fri 07-Dec-18 22:24:23

Yes, that was an unfortunate turn of phrase! Things do keep happening in my house though, all the downstairs doors were unlocked two nights ago, I got up around 3am and everything was locked then, I HAVE to do the rounds if I’m up, and at 7am all was unlocked, only person up was me and all keys were on my key ring shock

Marydoll Sat 08-Dec-18 09:43:44

This morning DH went out early to his car, the central locking wouldn't work, so he went for his spare key in case the fob battery needed changed. It wouldn't work either.sad.
I suggested he take my car. My key wouldn't work, then the spare wouldn't work. So we couldn't get into either car.
Had some mysterious force affected the electronics during the night?. After half an hour DH's keys started working, but still not mine.
Eventually the AA got into my car, and the electronics were all behaving weirdly. confused.
Something very strange going on.

Elegran Sat 08-Dec-18 12:13:51

Any news of sunspots etc which might upset the electical balance? - that could effect car electrics and electronic clocks. Don't know about hares leaping off the mantelpiece, though.

Anniebach Sat 08-Dec-18 12:29:43

I had a photograph on the third shelf of a bookshelf, deliberately placed there so not easily in view, went to the loo , came back into the living room, the photograph was on the top of the bookcase, I did not touch it, no one else in the house the entire day

trisher Sat 08-Dec-18 12:46:37

Chewbacca it's simple. Hare who suffered from insomnia had just got to sleep when he was woken by inconsiderate human who came in in the middle of the night and messed about on the sofa. Unable to get to sleep after you left he decided to end it all. Cuckoo Clock uncertain that he was telling the right time because no-one was usually there at 02.30 spun his hands in panic and finally let them drop to 6.30
Here's one for you. My DGD was very close to my mum. She has been wearing a pair of mittens my mum knitted ,which were too small for her, but she refused to be parted from them. Last week she lost one. Going through the gloves and scarves drawer, looking for something else, I found a pair of children's mittens. I will swear these had not been there before. We had a couple of adult sized ones my mum had knitted, but no children's ones. DGD is delighted!

justwokeup Sat 08-Dec-18 13:21:03

Being a dozy practical sort of person a 'woo' event would have to hit me on the head before I noticed it, although I have had one or two occasions of - obviously explainable - déja vu. Is it only me who would quite like to have a 'woo' moment? Although you probably just slammed the door too hard when you went back to bed ? Chewy. grin

Rosiebee Sun 09-Dec-18 08:40:08

We had a porcelain statue of a lady on our masterpiece for years. One evening we heard a loud crack and jumped up thinking it was the mirror about to fall or shatter. Mirror was fine but when DH was next dusting he noticed a crack running up one of the folds of the lady's dress. Our thought was that the porcelain had been gradually drying from warmth in house,especially being on the fireplace and that had cracked it. Over years crack got wider and we eventually had to dispose it statue. Maybe same happened to your hare??

Rosiebee Sun 09-Dec-18 22:02:44

That should have been "mantlepiece". Sounds weird when you see it written down!

ReadyMeals Mon 10-Dec-18 08:52:47

And very old-fashioned. I believe they are called "fire surrounds" now :D

Jaxie Mon 10-Dec-18 13:46:26

I had a similar woooo experience. With a friend at Thomas Hardy's house Max Gate, we were sitting in the kitchen watching a video about him. My friend said something personally critical of Hardy and immediately afterwards one of his novels, which was standing with others at the very back of a shelf catapulted off the shelf onto the floor. Two other people witnessed this and we were all amazed, Woooooooo.

Rosieroe Tue 11-Dec-18 00:14:52

Since when did clocks have ‘fingers’?

Jaxie Wed 12-Dec-18 09:16:36

Craftergran, You are a scream. Thanks for the laugh.