Gransnet forums

Chat

Your answer to annoying sayings

(90 Posts)
starbird Sun 09-Dec-18 01:57:04

There is a thread of words and sayings we find annoying - how about suggesting a good response to them all?

For example - if a friend said to me ‘it was like raining ...’
I could say in all innocence - ‘ oh do you mean it was hail, or sleet or snow... or was someone pouring a watering can over you? “

Florabunda60 Mon 10-Dec-18 03:43:02

Call centre assisstant: "Could I have your name please?"
Me: (give my name.) Then,
Call centre assistant: Excellent!
Me: (thinking assistant thought I am so barmy I wasn't going to know my own name!)!!

BBbevan Mon 10-Dec-18 03:43:03

A acquaintance of mine in her late 70s , has an amusing reply when asked if she has a ' partner '. She has been married over 50 years. She says No I do not have a partner. I don't do dancing '. Usually met with non comprehension by younger people.

Rosiebee Mon 10-Dec-18 09:15:08

Presenters on tv and radio who pronounce th as f - Fursday, fink, fank etc. It's nothing to do with regional accents, which I like hearing. It's childish and lazy. If you're in the public eye, shouldn't you make some effort to sound like an adult.

Rosiebee Mon 10-Dec-18 09:18:04

Realise this isn't strictly "sayings" but everyone has come up with the ones that annoy me and I just felt I wanted to join in with a grump.blush

Bathsheba Mon 10-Dec-18 09:35:13

I think voicing what we dislike does not make us rude especially since it is the topic of this thread.
The thing is, Lumerai, that isn't exactly the topic of this thread is it? The topic is Your answer to annoying sayings. But, as is the way with threads, many posters have strayed and simply used the thread to post sayings that annoy them, not their answer to them smile

rosyposy50 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:54:23

Here in Northern Ireland it’s ‘wee’ everything - drives me nuts. What’s your wee name, what’s your wee number, etc! Especially when said name and number are not at all ‘wee’ but very long. Mostly said by hairdressers and beauticians for some reason,

Oakleaf Mon 10-Dec-18 10:50:35

While I think the meanings of the words antisocial and unsocial have shifted, I still bridle if I decline to attend a social event and am accused of being antisocial.

For me, antisocial means law-breaking and/or indulging in activities which make life difficult and unpleasant for other people: graffiti, littering, neighbour noise etc.

I used to retort that I wasn't being antisocial at all but rather unsocial on that occasion as I just didn't feel like going to that particular event.

Nowadays, I only seem to hear the word unsocial in the context of working hours which is odd as people are asked to work unsocial hours because that's when other people want to be social. I have yet to hear anyone say they have been asked to work antisocial hours

Margs Mon 10-Dec-18 10:51:23

I live very nearby our main hospital and the bus stop is directly outside the entrance, so whenever I'm waiting there's ALWAYS someone bound to come beetling up to catch the same bus and though I try to get away with a polite smile and "hello" they always throw their opening gambit at me - "I've just had to see a Consultant...." which obliges me, out of basic manners, to reply "Oh - is there something wrong?"

And I get their full medical history, detail for detail, medication for medication, agony for agony Ad Nauseam.

And the worst thing is that I sense they revel in their 'horror' stories. Drone, drone, drone. Still, maybe their nearest & dearest have got tired and given them a sharp "shut up!"

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Dec-18 10:57:42

Margs I sympathise but having been recently diagnosed I sort of know where they are coming from.
I would just avoid eye contact if you don't want to have the conversation.

Bathsheba Mon 10-Dec-18 12:22:15

Oh Margs I do feel for you, it can be tedious I know. If it were me, I think I'd walk to the next stop to avoid this situation, if it's not too far.

annep Mon 10-Dec-18 17:19:31

Rosyposy I hate it. I want to say its not wee, its the standard size. grrr. And I feel shops use it more with older ladies ( or maybe that's my paranoia).

Conni7 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:27:38

Most of these expressions annoy me too, but I'm just wondering what we used to say in the past instead of some of them. Usually people are only trying to be polite or sociable when they use them. Having said that, I hate "different to" - surely if it's different it's moving "from". And "bored of" I've even seen in books.

Treebee Mon 10-Dec-18 19:31:40

Oh yes, I agree with so many of these!
Another is the confusion between lay and lie, as in, “I was laying in bed”. I want to ask how many eggs they produced.
Over use of ‘robust’, ‘I turned around and said’ and ‘obviously ‘ irritate me.
Might just be me, but two female weather presenters say ‘as well’ repeatedly in their bulletins. I’ve counted it used five times in a couple of minutes. I know I’m being niggly, but after all they’re professional speakers.

Jaxie Tue 11-Dec-18 08:34:40

Amount: instead of number. You can't have an amount if people - custard yes, but think countable nouns. Sorry, I used to teach English and realised something horrible about myself: I liked to feel superior to those who misused language. Now I'm 75 and suffering the shame of old age: depleted hair, memory, mobility I intend to curb my irritability.